• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Directx 12 and async compute

Caporegime
Sid Meier's Civilization® VI

Speaking of DX12 and Async Compute

Today AMD (NASDAQ: AMD), 2K and Firaxis Games announced a technical partnership to implement a truly exceptional DirectX® 12 renderer for Radeon™ GPUs into the graphics engine powering Sid Meier's Civilization® VI.

Complete with support for advanced DirectX® 12 features like asynchronous compute and explicit multi-adapter, PC gamers the world over will be treated to a high-performance and highly-parallelized game engine perfectly suited to sprawling civilizations designed to win hearts, minds, and the stars.
"Radeon™ graphics cards have rapidly become the definitive platform for next-generation DirectX® 12 content," said Roy Taylor, corporate vice president of alliances, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. "We're thrilled to bring our leading DirectX® 12 hardware and expertise to bear in the next installment of the Civilization franchise, which has long been adored by gamers for its intoxicating mix of beautiful graphics and hopelessly addictive gameplay."
"For 25 years the Civilization franchise has set the standard for beautiful and masterfully crafted turn based strategy," said Steve Meyer, Director of Software Development, Firaxis Games. "AMD has been a premiere contributor to that reputation in past Civilization titles, and we're excited to once again join forces to deliver a landmark experience in Sid Meier's Civilization® VI."

DirectX® 12 Asynchronous Compute

Asynchronous compute is a DirectX® 12 feature exclusively supported by the Graphics Core Next or Polaris architectures found in many AMD Radeon™ graphics cards. This powerful feature allows for parallel execution of compute and graphics tasks, substantially reducing the time other architectures need to execute the same workloads in a longer step-by-step manner. Asynchronous compute on many Radeon™ GPUs will perfectly complement the unit-rich late game of Civilization VI.

DirectX® 12 Explicit Multi-Adapter

Explicit multi-adapter represents the first time the DirectX® graphics API has officially supported multi-GPU configurations for gamers. Though past versions of the DirectX® API did not prevent multi-GPU support, there were no extensions that specifically aided its addition. DirectX® 12 explicit multi-adapter not only adds official Microsoft support, but augments that support with a range of powerful features and flexibility to unleash the imagination of a game developer. The benefit of multi-GPU can be legion: higher framerates, lower input latency, capacity for higher image quality and more. Explicit multi-adapter support will be an excellent feature addition for Radeon™ graphics customers who demand the very most from their Civilization VI experience.

A History of Collaboration

AMD, 2K and Firaxis Games have a history of intense technical collaboration for the good of PC gamers. Highlights include:
Adding DirectX® 11 support to Sid Meier's Civilization® V;
Co-development of Mantle, the world's first low-overhead PC graphics API;
Integration of the Mantle API into Sid Meier's Civilization® Beyond Earth™;
Development of the first modern split-frame rendering (SFR) multi-GPU implementation in Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth

Coming This Fall

Sid Meier's Civilization® VI (not yet rated by the ESRB) is available for pre-order now on Windows PC, and will be released worldwide on October 21, 2016 for $59.99/£49.99/EUR 59.99 with DirectX® 12 and a built-in benchmark. Expand your empire further with the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes the full base game, the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount.

source
http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...eiers-civilizationr-vi-nasdaq-amd-2142057.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought DX12 was DOA though? everyone keeps saying it will never be in AAA Titles!! this must be a hoax!

This is just the first of many, many, many titles that are moving to new API's... People can cover their ears all they like and say its not happening but it is, and its going to be glorious when done right :)

Caporegime
I thought DX12 was DOA though? everyone keeps saying it will never be in AAA Titles!! this must be a hoax!

This is just the first of many, many, many titles that are moving to new API's... People can cover their ears all they like and say its not happening but it is, and its going to be glorious when done right :)

YXA9v0c.jpg

Associate
absolutely, many years ago, all I had was AMD cpu's and ATI cards. Would be nice to see AMD offer something that Nvidia struggles to match. That would definitely spice things up!

That's the thing. I honestly don't care who makes my card as long as it hits my price point and isn't a noisy beast.

I started out on Sapphire (X800GTO2 woo) and then went to Powercolour. Then I traded across to MSI Nvidia for the 660 before being in a position where I could go to EVGA 1070.

If there becomes an actual tangible reason to switch to AMD on a card (i.e. my machine is getting whomped on titles and they have one that hits the £/noise requirements), I'll just jump across. It all comes down to numbers really, you can't argue with them, just make a decision.

Associate
That's the thing. I honestly don't care who makes my card as long as it hits my price point and isn't a noisy beast.

I started out on Sapphire (X800GTO2 woo) and then went to Powercolour. Then I traded across to MSI Nvidia for the 660 before being in a position where I could go to EVGA 1070.

If there becomes an actual tangible reason to switch to AMD on a card (i.e. my machine is getting whomped on titles and they have one that hits the £/noise requirements), I'll just jump across. It all comes down to numbers really, you can't argue with them, just make a decision.

precisely, I have tried to explain many times that there are many things to consider, sometimes price is one of them, sometimes it's the performance / price ratio and sometimes it's just about the quality and top end stuff. We all have our reasons for getting certain cards even when sometimes they are quite expensive.

Would be nice if some people would understand that instead of trying to hammer you with their own reasons and then pass their judgement of what you do with your own money ...

Soldato
everyone keeps saying it will never be in AAA Titles!!

"They" (people who actually know what they are talking about) are saying the opposite. A few AAA and the rest don't need the extra hassle for dubious benefits.

People can cover their ears all they like

You're the one covering your ears and hyping something you don't understand. Can you tell me in your own words exactly why you want every game to be DX12 and exactly what benefit you think it will bring? You've already demonstrated you don't understand the argument from the other side.

Associate
Yeah lets all buy AMD cards now instead of Nvidias, and then sit and wait for god knows how long, for all the games to appear to play on em.

that actualy would benefit everyone
new API and new features adoption will speed up, mgpu adoption also will speed up, Nvidia will drop their prices, and by the end of the quarter both company will have equal market share, then you can start buying nvidia again.
that is actualy the most consumer friendly post you made the last couple months :D cheers !

Soldato
LOL
Who added the extra salt in this thread?

Don't get all the hate on DX12 tbh. Its a much much better API than DX11 and it will get adopted eventually but all the hate on DX12 as if its not needed. Seems to be some sort of trend going on. Is it because nvidia do so well with DX11 and get hardly any gains in DX12 but AMD do not so well in DX11 but get much better gains in DX12, where the majority of the time their cards overtake their counter parts from DX11?

Is this where the salty is coming from? Get a grip people.. looking down your nose at better performance.

Last edited:
Associate
LOL

Don't get all the hate on DX12 tbh. Its a much much better API than DX11 and it will get adopted eventually but all the hate on DX12 as if its not needed. Seems to be some sort of trend going on. Is it because nvidia do so well with DX11 and get hardly any gains in DX12 but AMD do not so well in DX11 but get much better gains in DX12, where the majority of the time their cards overtake their counter parts from DX11?

Is this where the salty is coming from? Get a grip people.. looking down your nose at better performance.

i dont have anything against DX12, it's a great API, but you can't ignore the company holding it, and how they use it, simple hostage moves only when they need OS migration, and get updated only when xbox gets updated.
we need a PC API independent of the console cycle, and doesnt force you to change your OS to see it get updated.
vulkan is a thousand times better, not because of the features and performance it brings, but for the freedom it provides for PC gamers and developers, and the possibility to get an alternative OS that is an actual gaming platform, not just server or whatever.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i dont have anything against DX12, it's a great API, but you can't ignore the company holding it, and how they use it, simple hostage moves only when they need OS migration, and get updated only when xbox gets updated.
we need a PC API indepandent of the console cycle, and doesnt force you to change your OS to see it get updated.

This I agree with. I don't usually care what MS do (or any of the politics involved with gaming) and DX12 is a great API that is needed but MS just seem to use it as a simple way of selling games that don't come with any extra goodies on PC. I watched a couple of vids and bought Gears of War remastered and frankly, they are just straight XBone games running on PC and not particulary well either.

Associate
The 480 was a disappointment for me, I had a 290x and as a GPU it doesn't fall into the category I'd buy. Then again, DX12 improvements and lack there of for Nvidia are making it a more appealing card for many.

Whichever way you slice it, up, down, left or right. The 1080 is not a great buy, it just isn't. It's a £400-£450 card being sold for £580-£700. Anyone buying it is mad suggesting otherwise. This is further compounded but Nvidias inability to address the DX12 gap with Pascal, with worrying trends emerging ln recently patched games. It is however the only option currently for somebody who wants a top end card, as AMD are offering nothing in its category.

Spot on, not ashamed to say it like it is.
LOL

It's either damage control in full swing or some really sad individuals.

Soldato
Lets just put this in to perspective.

AMD do Async compute better than Nvidia. FACT.

Of the vast majority of AAA games Nvidia are the lead partner.

The games that get Async compute are not really the AAA blockbuster titles. So really its not that great a thing to be trumpeting that AMD do it better than Nvidia.

Get it in to some proper blockbuster AAA titles then and only then does it really matter.

9/10 of the blockbuster AAA titles over the last year have been partnered with Nvidia and have not featured Asysnc compute. FACT.

You get the odd one AAA game like Dues Ex Mankind Divided that will partner with AMD... but these are simply exceptions. (I'm not even sure Dues Ex Mankind Divided is a AAA blockbuster but hey I'll give it to team red)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom