• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Directx 12 and async compute

Caporegime
Lets just put this in to perspective.

AMD do Async compute better than Nvidia. FACT.

Of the vast majority of AAA games Nvidia are the lead partner.

The games that get Async compute are not really the AAA blockbuster titles. So really its not that great a thing to be trumpeting that AMD do it better than Nvidia.

Get it in to some proper blockbuster AAA titles then and only then does it really matter.

9/10 of the blockbuster AAA titles over the last year have been partnered with Nvidia and have not featured Asysnc computer. FACT.

dx 12, vulkan and async has only really come about in the last several months and it is a pretty good start already given how long game & engine development takes:

- tomb raider
- quantum break
- gears of war
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI
- hitman
- forza
- warhammer (broken atm but iirc it is a beta and could get some good optimisations soon like what happened with tomb raider)
- deus ex
- battlefield 1
- project cars

Yes, most of those are locked behind microsoft and some may not consider them to be "AAA" but they are still using dx 12/async, that is a discussion for another thread....

Can't remember but does mirrors edge catalyst have dx 12? Isn't there also talk of squad getting dx 12, iirc, they are waiting on the engine to officially support it? Also, isn't ARK suppose to be getting a dx 12 update?

And now we have vulkan in doom, which is showing really good gains, at least for AMD cards...

In my eyes, that is pretty good going so far.

Most of nvidias AAA gameworks games over the last year or so were by ubisoft but they have dropped nvidia now and look to be partnering up with AMD instead so I wouldn't be surprised to see more dx 12/vulkan in future ubi games i.e. ghost recon wildlands, watch dogs 2, not that this is a bad thing for either camp as generally nvidia still perform just as well as AMD, if not better in AMD's games...

At the end of the day, dx 12 isn't going anywhere, the up take has been far quicker and better than any other dx api that I recall of... And hopefully vulkan will stick around too....

Last edited:
Associate
Lets just put this in to perspective.

AMD do Async compute better than Nvidia. FACT.

Of the vast majority of AAA games Nvidia are the lead partner.

The games that get Async compute are not really the AAA blockbuster titles. So really its not that great a thing to be trumpeting that AMD do it better than Nvidia.

Get it in to some proper blockbuster AAA titles then and only then does it really matter.

9/10 of the blockbuster AAA titles over the last year have been partnered with Nvidia and have not featured Asysnc compute. FACT.

You get the odd one AAA game like Dues Ex Mankind Divided that will partner with AMD... but these are simply exceptions. (I'm not even sure Dues Ex Mankind Divided is a AAA blockbuster but hey I'll give it to team red)

AMD doesnt need to sponsor games anymore, everything will come out optimized for them better than nvidia, time is on their favor :D
i know you are still in denial, but 2017 will be dx12/vulkan across the board for every bluckbuster AAA you want, where the 200£ RX480 will match your 500£ 980Ti, where a 150£ 470 will beat your 300£ 980, just accept it already!
:D

Permabanned
AMD are just as good at milking the cow when they can. If Vega is good I wouldn't count on it being cheap.

+1

Small Fiji was £440 for the first few months.

AMD can be quoted as saying 'We do not want to be seen as the cheaper option' which translates to 'We will charge an arm and a leg whenever we can'.

Soldato
Simple economics, Consoles sell more games than PC's currently, AMD got their hardware into these consoles, games are written to use that hardware, AMD will see the benefit of these games when ported to PC...

However PC games sales are supposed to be eclipsing Console game sales this year and onwards

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/83972-pc-games-sales-eclipse-value-console-games-sales-2016/

However if those figures are to be believed, Consoles are still incredibly close in sales, more and more games are written to leverage the hardware in these consoles, that has a knock on effect in benefitting PC games that use the same hardware.

AMD have laid the foundation with GCN and are now reaping the benefits, more and more devs are adopting these API's into their games, as they know Nvidia cards run extremely well anyway, and can bring AMD cards up to par with them.

As it stands now, Nvidia still have the edge in DX11, but this is less apparent in DX12 and Vulcan due to AMD's hardware being able to be utilised more fully, only thing that would stop DX12 and Vulcan being a success is if its hard to work with, apparently its not, expect to see more and more implementation, people with Nvidia cards shouldnt worry as Nvidia will still prove to be efficient at this, they will just gain less from these implementations, but still excel, AMD cards on the other hand will show massive gains.

What we really need to see is a game built solely for either DX12 or Vulkan and then compare how the cards stack up, i wouldnt be suprised to see them being extremely closer to each other.

Associate
Doom 4 is. Was presented by Nvidia and Vulkan works on both vendors. It has nothing to do with Async as thats part of the DX12 API not Vulkan.

CIV 6... is not a AAA title.

Oh dear... :rolleyes:

doom 4 has async,and the RX480 runs at 140 fps behind the 1070 at 150fps thats 10% performance difference for a 200£ gpu against a 400£ gpu.
and Civ series is one of the biggest RTS games out there, and it's a proper AAA game from it's budget to it's sales, Civilization V is 16th best selling PC game ever with 5.8million copies, and Civilization IV 29th, but to you because you dont like RTS it's crap while probably outsold the best AAA you are playing atm like 50 to 1.

Last edited:
Soldato
CIV6 is not a AAA title in the sense that the world does not wait up untill 12am on the day it unlocks to play it. Bringing down the servers on the internet in the same way that GTAV or the Witcher 3 would.

Caporegime
CIV6 is not a AAA title in the sense that the world does not wait up untill 12am on the day it unlocks to play it. Bringing down the servers on the internet in the same way that GTAV or the Witcher 3 would.

Looking at steam stats for civ 5, it seems a pretty big game to me.... far more players than the division, which only has about 12k lately lol....

Qg8NmsLh.png.jpg

Witcher 3

kubVD12h.png.jpg

Far cry 4 (I believe this has been referred to as a AAA game?)

YaBKSFFh.png.jpg

And GTA which drenches them all:

wHSlPNHh.png.jpg

Not that GTA 5 really counts for either since it is neither a nvidia nor AMD sponsored game i.e. no logo at the start up and it contains both GPU vendors technology.

This is only for steams side of things so of course these stats aren't precisely accurate but given how big steam is as a seller, I think those figures will hold some value....

Associate

thank god the rest of the world doesnt have your taste in games :D
and i really dont see the point arguing about what you think and what the rest of the world does, again here is the list for best selling PC game ever.
Civ V 5.8mil> Civ IV 3mil > Civ III 2mil> GTA V 2mil
your opinion < the rest of the world

Associate
and i really dont see the point arguing about what you think and what the rest of the world does, again here is the list for best selling PC game ever.

Civ 5 has sold nearly 9 million copies according to SteamSpy. GTA V almost 4.5 million. So, yeah. The Civ games are huge :)

http://steamspy.com/app/8930

Soldato

why are you linking to a Wikki page, that anyone can make and fill with invalid data?

Not one CoD on the list, mmmmmmm. :confused:

BLOPS - Owners: 3,379,941 - 3,472,709
BLOPS 2 - Owners: 2,754,432 - 2,838,970

no love for:
Portal - Owners: 9,248,928 - 9,400,520
Portal 2 - Owners: 8,121,083 - 8,263,433

Source : Steam

steam actual data > random Wikki page

Last edited:
Soldato
All the nonsenses rubbish you read on internet about Pascal cant do DirectX 12 and Async Compute properly had to end right here full stop!!!!

http://videocardz.com/62257/first-3dmark-time-spy-benchmarks-hit-the-web

3DMark Time Spy is the first benchmark used Async Compute proved that Pascal can do DirectX 12 properly, it seemed the developer coded Nvidia Async Compute properly gave Time Spy a nice increase when Async Compute enabled.

Associate
why are you linking to a Wikki page, that anyone can make and fill with invalid data?

Not one CoD on the list, mmmmmmm. :confused:

BLOPS - Owners: 3,379,941 - 3,472,709
BLOPS 2 - Owners: 2,754,432 - 2,838,970

no love for:
Portal - Owners: 9,248,928 - 9,400,520
Portal 2 - Owners: 8,121,083 - 8,263,433

Source : Steam

steam actual data > random Wikki page

because not every game is sold on steam, like EA or Microsoft who keep their exclusives....

Back
Top Bottom