• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Soldato
Obviously only new GPUs will support it and new upcoming windows OS will only have it. Cmon guys its obvious. They will only be demonstrating DX12 on march 20, so we will have to wait months before any news of it getting released with the new OS

Permabanned
1) If the current cards cannot do DX12 hardware wise then neither will the consoles.

That is what will hold games back same as when we had DX10-11 and they had DX9C.

2) If there is ever a Win 8.2 it will be a free update same as Win 8.1 and this weeks update, Win 9 is next Windows.

Associate
If you have a newish ATI card, 7 series or R7 or R9 then directX will be a thing of the past soon, just looks to me like m$ are just trying to pull one last trick out of the bag, ATI Mantle is about to take over and m$ are scared.

as a 290 user I wish I were this confident... so far thief and battlefield have had delays and I just don't see many games hopping on though I do hope...

It would be nice to not have to worry about cpu upgrades for newer cards in crossfire set ups

Permabanned
If you have a newish ATI card, 7 series or R7 or R9 then directX will be a thing of the past soon, just looks to me like m$ are just trying to pull one last trick out of the bag, ATI Mantle is about to take over and m$ are scared.

11ka9n4.jpg

;)

Soldato
I thought battlefield 4 became mantle ready with the last update ?, I don't play it so I'm not completely sure, but they will get there, ati and game developers I mean, it's just new technology in the pc world and everything new always have teething problems.

Caporegime
20th March
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

Hoping we don't need to buy new gpus I mean just bought these two.

So MS changed their minds...

Exactly what im thinking gents. Going to be gutted if i have to upgrade gpu's and Windows just to use DX12. There could be one saving grace though. DX12 is likely 1-2 years away, id guess. Getting a new API takes a lot of time, a hell of a lot of man hours, as AMD is finding out now. I find it hard to believe that DX will be here within 3-6 months.

Soldato
Could be interesting but we won't see any implementation till at least Christmas. It's likely the current cards won't suppprt it either. I wouldn't be so quick to shrug it off though. This revision falls in line with XBONE and the arrival of competition.

Xboxone uses a derived version of DX11.2 so it's likely MS will make efforts to implement 12 features on console, and not the current crop of GPUS.

Exactly what im thinking gents. Going to be gutted if i have to upgrade gpu's and Windows just to use DX12. There could be one saving grace though. DX12 is likely 1-2 years away, id guess. Getting a new API takes a lot of time, a hell of a lot of man hours, as AMD is finding out now. I find it hard to believe that DX will be here within 3-6 months.

One big difference there though is one of them has been doing it a hell of a lot longer ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
While i tend to agree with you over the time frame you just never know with MS, DX 12 might well be why they didn't want mantle on XBone if they knew they were working on it
Overall i cant see MS giving anyone DX 12 free bound to be a new O/S for it :(

Soldato
And the difference for DX 12 visually will be ???? Better enhancements from the current iterations of DX haven't been great. DX12 won't bring leaps and bounds in anything graphical from DX12. Barely anything uses DX11 to it's full capability.

Back to the phanbhoy comments^^ You really do hate mantle. Tried to change your tune halway through to embrace but the above says it all. Brilliant.

Soldato
Barely anything uses DX11 to it's full capability
If this was indeed true whats the point of mantle?
I think so far mantle has proven yes dx 11 can be improved on which is good for all of us right?
I'll assume dx12 will be as mantle put it Closer to the metal and more efficient but until its announced fully we wont know

Soldato
Change and improvement is the lifeblood of the PC, always has been. If Microsoft bring out an improved DX, that's good isn't it? I can't think of any time before when GPUs haven't supported the newer versions of DX long before games came along that actually used them, so by the time DX12 is out and being used, chances are I will already have upgraded my GPUs and be able to use it.

Looking forward to what the future holds. :)

Back
Top Bottom