• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Soldato
OP
I believe people needing to adjust settings are using 7000 series and there is a vram bug?
I have turned my settings up :D now running ultra with superb results.

Can either play locked 120fps or let it run free and avg way over see no point in playing over the refresh rate though.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia are doing pretty well with DX11 VS Mantle,

tPsxphw.png

From: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...card_performance_review_part_1/1#.UxkaI4VfbLl

The gap could be even bigger with DX12. Competition is a great thing. AMD deserve praise for Mantle and giving MS a kick up the butt. Prob the most exciting upcoming years in PC gaming for as long as I can remember. New Windows, new DX, Mantle, new 20nm GPU's, 8 core Intel CPU's, APU's, DDR4, SteamOS, 4K.. Lot's of changes..

All these peeps moaning like a bunch of old grannys on here, trolling each other, personally think this a great time for PC gaming no matter what brand your hardware belongs to..

Been said a lot and even I can tell that Mantle offers a much smoother gameplay. The frame times are much better the gpu and CPU is much better.
Watch any of my latest videos on YouTube and you see what I mean.

Even the frame rate change is less noticeable under Mantle, what I mean by this is under DirectX if you have say 160fps and then drop down to say 110fps you feel it, it looks choppy. Under Mantle I don't get this and again my videos show this well.
Another thing with Mantle I don't get screen tear? While the type that don't see it unless I look for it but even when trying with Mantle I don't see it at all.

Again videos without vsync can you spot screen tear?

No links sorry on phone in work.

Edit links
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiLZ0eeQCBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4fR36ix04

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When you can tell me for a fact mantle runs better on the majority of engines out there for a fact 100% without some people using mantle having to drop settings due to vram usage i will reconsider my opinion

To the op sorry for the off topic stuff and i wont be replying to anymore of it

Mantle as allowed me to higher my settings and keep frame rate locked 120fps, on DirectX I couldn't do this on full ultra unless I disabled msaa.
The issue you talking about with vram is from cards that are not fully supporting Mantle, it's wrong to judge Mantle on something it's not working correctly on. Base your options on what it is working on. R9 series.

Soldato
OP
+1 on on this, i have one of those 2GB cards and while its inconvenient that i can't run "full ultra settings" i'm still able to run very high setting for what my card is capable of with solid Frame Rates, and my 2GB card is the most powerful one AMD made.

Despite this 2GB cards specifically will get better memory optimisation in April.

Settings for a 7870XT 2GB, runs perfectly like that.

And truth be told they very little in it ultra vs high. :D

Soldato
OP
With the like of Cryengine supporting Mantle this looks pretty good. Although I'm surprised with Mantle not having a public SDK.

Obviously Crytek have been given access to the SDK and the use of Mantle will be one of the several code paths for rendering at a low level.

I doubt any Mantle calls will be usable using Cryengine API because that would have to expose the Mantle API, which isn't public.:(

Mantle will be made public end of the year.

Soldato
OP
Don't you have crossfire 290's like me? what game is there currently out or even on the horizon that gives a "much better gaming experience" with Mantle on CF 290's? :confused:

Not trying to be a tool here, I know Mantle will improve the experience for people with midrange GPU's or weak CPU's, but for those of us with decent setups it's pretty mute. I.E I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen more on my SLI 780 rig more than my CF 290 rig because it will look better on the green rig due to PhysX, granted the game will be playable under Mantle on lower spec systems that wouldn't run it under DX, but still.

I fail to see how our AMD rigs are getting the better deal here. The way I see it my CF 290 rig gets two years of games being just as playable in DX as they are in Mantle, then it gets to play games in DX12. My SLI 780 rig gets two years of being able to play games fine in DX11 while looking better with PhysX (where applicable ofc), then it gets to play games in DX12 and again PhysX where available.

/shrug.

Battlefield 4

Soldato
OP
Every AMD gpu you can buy today and every new gpu for the past 2-3 years will support DX12.
NO Nvidia gpu's are DX12 enabled, there is no DX12 released yet.

When DX12 launches in over 18 months, the majority of all gpu's for the previous 4+ years from both companies will support it. Not an awful lot of people looking for high end gaming will have a gpu not capable of supporting most, but not all of DX12.

You're misrepresenting the facts, choosing the word enabled for AMD when it's not out while claiming Nvidia support for something that isn't out. DX12 is enabled on nothing at all yet. It will work for the majority of both companies relevant cards when it is finally out.

The 5870, the last major release, from Sept 2009 would be the last major generation to not support DX12(as it stands now, in 18 months support may have been added) for an API released effectively at the start of 2016. 6970 would be the last minor bump from the 5870 not to support it. The 7970 onwards, launched in Jan 2012, would support DX12 which will release 4 years later.

DX12 will be entirely irrelevant to people with older cards by that time anyway.

+1

Soldato
OP
Lol, you just made that up..

The official line has been that AMD cards from GCN onwards (HD 7XXX) will be DX12 compatible, and Nvidia cards from Fermi onwards (GTX4XX) will be DX12 compatible.

So until we hear something different..

And in two years time do you really think a Guy with GTX4 is going to be running latest DX12 games?

Soldato
OP
Not sure what relevance that has to the cards being DX12 compatible. Whether people use older cards or no isn't my concern lol. I'll upgrade regardless for more hardware grunt..

The official line is GTX 4XX onwards for Nvidia and HD 7XXX onwards for AMD.

Why people getting bent out of shape over this?

The difference between supported and running the game is completely different.

I had a old very cheap GPU for another system that also claimed it was DX11 but could it hell even run CSGO at more than 15fps lol see my point?

Back
Top Bottom