DiRT Rally Hits Steam Early Access

Soldato
***Official DiRT Rally Early Access Thread***

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/ - £22.49 (10% off)

Welcome to DiRT Rally - a new world of DiRT. A pure expression of rally, the pinnacle of off-road motor racing and it begins now, in Early Access, with regular free updates including new locations, new game modes and new vehicles.

DiRT Rally captures the essence of what makes rally unique – that sense of trying to remain in control of your emotions, as you hurtle along dangerous, undulating roads at breakneck speed, aiming to squeeze everything out of your car whilst knowing that one crash could irreparably harm your stage time. It’s the ultimate test of a driver’s skill, and it’s the ultimate in high risk, high reward gameplay.

Official OCUK League:

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/14089/ocuk-league-1

Next Event (setup by the lovely Thesnipergecko):
Nostalgia Cup

Week Commencing 04/05/2015

Event 1 - 2 stages (60's)
Mon 0900 - Tue 2300

1. Koryfi Dafni (Midday / Sunny)
2. Perasma Platani (Night / Clear)

Event 2 - 2 stages (70's)
Wed 0900 - Thu 2300

1. Bidno Moorland Reverse (Night / Rain)
2. River Severn Valley (Afternoon / Overcast)

Event 3 - 2 stages (80's RWD)
Fri 0900 - Sat 2300

1. Pra d'Alart (Night / Snow)
2. Approche du Col De Turini - Montee (Afternoon / Cloudy)
Steam Player List:
Free DLC Timeline:

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/timeline
Next up: Pikes Peak Pack!

Screens:
vEoYswW.jpg
EBco24m.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Does a mainstream developer/publisher using Early Access irk anyone else or just me? With 10% being the ultimate punch in the balls discount for being their guinea pig?

Soldato
I've wanted a modern Colin McRae game for a while. I've been put off bothering with Codemasters' recent efforts by reports that they're too arcadey. Might give this a go.

Hope they reproduce Greece Stage 2 from the original. Such a great stage.

E: just watched the video - graphics look a bit shonky, but hopefully it plays well.

Last edited:
Associate
This looks awsome, been waiting for a proper modern rally sim for years.

Thinking i will get it now, but would like to know if anyone has already and what they thought first?

Soldato
Wow, didn't know they were making another. This is great news!

Wait a minute, there's no mention of multiplayer?

I was thinking this, but when in a proper rally race is multiplayer going to be anything other than comparing split times?

On a proper rally course you could never actually overtake anyone by virtue of the fact the road/track is so narrow...

Soldato
I was thinking this, but when in a proper rally race is multiplayer going to be anything other than comparing split times?

On a proper rally course you could never actually overtake anyone by virtue of the fact the road/track is so narrow...

That's a good point, but they could expand it and make a mode where it's more than a sim so you can have some fun with friends as well. I'm sure more people would also be interested then.

Soldato
OP
Does a mainstream developer/publisher using Early Access irk anyone else or just me? With 10% being the ultimate punch in the balls discount for being their guinea pig?

I'm guessing the 10% is just the discount for early access when the game launches at full price then the early access price is more like 30%.

This doesn't seem like a mainstream title though with it being a sim based Rally game on PC is a fairly niche market. Early Access is probably one of the only ways a title like this can exist from a larger studio, that said everything I've heard about it it seems to be quite a small team on the title at the moment and they are looking for feedback on where the series should go, which early access is great for!

I'm glad to see a Rally sim hit the PC market :D Also the post effects remind me of the classic Colin McRae games and not too overdone with crazy amounts of bloom etc.

Soldato
Pretty sure in CMR1 you had split screen multiplayer, where your opponent was a ghost car. Nothing wrong with that in a rally sim

Umm..It happens a lot on most real Rallies on proper real Rally courses. :confused:

This is true, but isn't this usually because one car is much slower than the other as they'll usually start a couple of minutes apart. Real life drivers will also have much more patience waiting to pass on rally tracks rather than online where you'll just get ditched at the the first available corner by the guy behind giving your boot a wee slap.

Ghost cars is exactly how it was done in the past. Would seem like a sensible way to do it in my opinion to avoid that kind of behavior.

P.S. Anyone actually tried it yet? I'll be waiting for Oculus Rift support before dropping any money on it...

Back
Top Bottom