• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
CryTek's CryEngine 3.0 set to debut next month DX11 support.

CryTek's CryEngine 3.0 set to debut next month
9/11/2009 by: Theo Valich - Get more from this author

During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new platform.

Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTekscoredseveral new customers. At present time, CryTek has more thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially fewsurprises for the consoles.

Yes, CryEngine 3 is keeping in line with the tradition. Good looking forest...
Yes, CryEngine 3 is keeping in line with the tradition. Good looking forest...

On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11 extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming" cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

.. and hands down, best looking water ever. You have to see this live to believe it.

Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of them all.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-set-to-debut-next-month.aspx
pics

Soldato
OP
On board an old World War II aircraft carrier, Advanced Micro Devices executives introduced new graphics chips meant to give consumers a killer entertainment experience and deliver a big blow to rivals Nvidia and Intel.

The chip maker introduced a new generation of ATI graphics chips that will be part of desktops this fall and laptops early next year. Among the new features: one PC can power six different monitors at the same time, as illustrated in the ooVoo video conference pictured above.

The chip will drive the latest computers, but it should also give AMD a leg up on its rivals, who’ve fallen behind on their production schedules, said Jon Peddie, an analyst at Jon Peddie Research.

“At the end of the day today,” Rick Bergman, senior vice president of Sunnyvale-based AMD, said, “AMD will be the undisputed graphics leader in the world.”

The chip has 2 billion transistors on it. To put that in perspective, Nvidia’s monster graphics chip from 2008 had 1.4 billion transistors, and the original Intel microprocessor had 2,300 transistors. The advance of chip design and manufacturing — including a 40-nanometer manufacturing process — have made it possible to make such chips.

The chip can do more than 2.5 trillion calculations — 2.5 teraFLOPS — every second. That compares to 1 trillion calculations per second for AMD’s chip from a year ago. That chip is as powerful as the world’s most powerful supercomputer in the year 2000. It’s about 250 times more powerful than the IBM supercomputer Deep Blue, which beat the best chess champion in the world years ago.

amd-2Bergman said the ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology can power six displays with a single graphics card, using DisplayPort technology. That’s a big achievement because graphics cards have to put so much data on a single display that they have a hard time handling multiple displays.

With it, gamers can set up monitors side by side to get an immersive view of their video screens as they play the latest PC games. Business people can video-conference with different people and track different things as if they were in a control room. With four graphics cards in one PC, AMD can operate 24 monitors at the same time.

It can create images with 268 megapixels, where a megapixel yields a pretty decent image on a digital camera. Game players will be able to get 12 times the full high-definition resolution. With so much screen real estate, you don’t even have to scroll around to see different documents, Bergman said.

Jules Urbach, chief executive of special effects firm Lightstage and Otoy, showed a demo of AMD’s animated mascot character, Ruby, as she is rendered to look like a real human with the latest technology. Urbach said his team is creating special effects scenes for movies that extremely realistic, yet can be created with a single AMD chip. Crytek also showed how the graphics chip can render an immersive, hyperrealistic jungle in a video game.

Acer, Dell, HP, MSI and Toshiba are creating computers using AMD’s latest graphics chips. In response, Nvidia said in a statement, “The gaming world has moved to dynamic realism, which depicts actual physical movement more realistically than ever before. For example, the No. 1 PC game coming out next week is ‘Batman: Arkham Assyum,’ which takes advantage of graphics plus physics to give it extraordinary realism. Because we support GPU-accelerated physics, our $129 card that’s shipping today is faster than their new RV870 (code name for new AMD chips) that sells for $399.
http://venturebeat.com/2009/09/10/a...cs-chip-that-can-power-six-computer-displays/

Soldato
OP

Soldato
OP
a person that calls people idiots, retards and ignorant because they bought an nvidia card... OK guys ati looks like it made a good card lineup but why do you feel the need to bash nvidia?

I have nothing against bashing either side when its warranted.

What i don't like is lies, generalising of person problems & over exaggerations posted as facts.

BTW: i didn't see idiots, retards and ignorant used in this thread & not by me anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Problem with 4+ GPUs tho - things tend to get quite laggy - even when your drawing really high framerates it still only feels like half the framerate or less... great for presentations and stuff but not so great for actually playing - get this sometimes with SLI even with 2 GPUs.

I have had 4 GPUS already & have not noticed.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried comparing to one GPU with comparable performance? you tend to get used to it or not even notice it until you've tried a system that doesn't have the lag...

that said ATI especially with their 8/16 GPU workstations setups for simulations, etc. and nVidia to a lesser extent have been working on their multiGPU algorithms to reduce how much it gets into the system - which is why you won't really see pure AFR mode used to this extent.

Going from 4GPU to 1GPU was just a mouse click away & im running on a single GPU ATM as the other 3 have been sold awaiting the 2x 5xxxX2.

Soldato
OP
Yeah but have you tried with 1 GPU with similiar performance to your 3-4 card setup? even going from 8800GT SLI to an OC'd 260GTX giving very slightly lower fps than the GT SLI setup it was noticeable - tho not massive - from my experience with quad SLI its even more noticeable when you've used both... not had much experience with crossfireX tho.

i have not noticed any when going from 1900xt CF to a 3870 single.

Soldato
OP
We have been here before.

Reminder
2900 series
We all know how that turned out.

So going on past experience be prepared for a let down.

Having said that i like most really want AMD to do well this time round.
NV need a kick up the *rse as they have been taking the P for a long time.

Where is the connection between 5xxx & the 2xxx.
If the 4xxx was a let down that you would have a point.
Can you name any tech company who has never had let down in a product.
We could use "So going on past experience be prepared for a let down" on any new product.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Rather. Also I'd have to say, which card between RV870 and GT300 really has more parallels to R600? Which one's the late one in all this? GT300 seems to be quite a way off, at least with a late 2009/early 2010 release, and RV870 coming within the month. Then which card's the one that has the complex, exciting but questionable new architecture? Again, GT300 seems to win this with its 'cGPU' oriented MIMD architecture which somewhat reminds me of ATi's move with its VLIW architecture. Sure the thing will be amazing at general purpose parallel applicatioins, but will a traditional graphics pipeline with programmable shaders in today's state really take advantage of a MIMD architecture? Sure it'll be great looking onwards - by which time there will be new cards out, but for more contemporary games the gains may not be that huge. That, again, sounds a lot like what people were saying about R600 shortly after release.

I could be wrong, but it's just a bit of food for thought.

From what i have seen from the 4xxx line im sure the 5xxx line will drive my 30" 2560x1600 just fine. What is there to worry about, DX11 is secondary as far as i'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom