• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you aren't scaling everything are you? The memory speed/interface bandwidth, the PCI-Express lanes etc. Doubling some parts of the design will not necessarily equal double performance.
I mentioned memory bandwidth in my post. I doubt PCI-E bandwidth will be an issue.

What I'm saying though is that you shouldn't expect any internal bottlenecks, if ATI genuinely have doubled up all their units. Look at what happened from the 9800 Pro to the X800 XT, for example, or more recently the 3870 to the 4870 (though there ATI left the number of ROPS unchanged).

The bottleneck you mention, can be solved simply by shipping faster memory; without having to make any changes to the GPU itself. But as I said in my post I agree that, at launch at least, the 5870 may not have enough bandwidth to live up to its theoretical potential.

Is 300 dollars for the 5850 confirmed? May be a bit steep for me :(

What are exchange rates doing at the moment? I assume we aren't back to $2 to the pound?

EDIT: No it's not...looking to me like £200 for the 5850 and ~£250-275 for the 5870 :(

PICS:

5870leak2.jpg

5870leak3.jpg

5870leak4.jpg

Looks like ATi have taken a leaf out of the nVidia cooler design book.

They'll be air intakes and it looks like the power is now on the top nvidia stylee.

That is if they are the final card designs... *shrug*
They're not air intakes, it's got a centrifugal fan, the fan draws air in through the center and dispels outwards.

If anything, it'll be a small exhaust where the VRMs are located for air to flow over them and be exhausted out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom