Disgusting display of Racism

Soldato
I’m not flat out against schemes that aim to promote social mobility and diversity in education and professions. In this case, I’m not sure how much social mobility / diversity is being affected…. They are all at Cambridge with places, right?

Good for them I guess.
It isn't helping social mobility at all; it's misplaced resources at best, and a virtue signal at worst. Having a place at Cambridge is arguably one of the most "privileged" positions a young person can be in, they're the last people who are going to be worrying about their student finance.

What a colossally odd thing to say. Can you explain what you mean here?
The idea behind scholarships, in the UK at least, and at university level, is that they attract talent that may well go elsewhere. The article states the idea is to attract more folk who wouldn't even consider going to Cambridge. The scholarship, like many, is just a perk.

I know several MDs whose kids are exceptionally clever due to their headstart (read: massive investment) and the fee paying schools they attend offer massive kick backs as the kids are worth more than the fee to the school e.g. country level competitions, academic trajectory etc. So they all get some form or scholarship they've had to apply to.

Soldato
I think actually what Stormzy did was incredibly racist, to use skin colour as the deciding factor of whether you will fund some ones scholarship is flat out wrong. The stupid thing is he could've just donated the money to students from a particular underprivileged area, even if that happened to be mostly black people, and it would have been fine. I don't think filtering kids by skin colour is ever justifiable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a bit late to the outrage party but great to see the standard frothers frothing away. I particularly liked the appeal to Martin Luther King by some of our more predictable members, without any hint of self-awareness or irony :cry:

e: a cast list appears!

1. 19 posts Dis86
  2. 10 posts BallistixOnZ490
  3. 7 posts Cooler running
  4. 5 posts The Running Man
  5. 5 posts james.miller
  6. 3 posts silvagti
  7. 3 posts jsmoke
  8. 3 posts thenewoc

Page 5. Have a word with yourself, Mags. Clearly a poor effort at least three pages too late. You have let us all down.

Man of Honour
The idea behind scholarships, in the UK at least, and at university level, is that they attract talent that may well go elsewhere. The article states the idea is to attract more folk who wouldn't even consider going to Cambridge. The scholarship, like many, is just a perk.

I know several MDs whose kids are exceptionally clever due to their headstart (read: massive investment) and the fee paying schools they attend offer massive kick backs as the kids are worth more than the fee to the school e.g. country level competitions, academic trajectory etc. So they all get some form or scholarship they've had to apply to.

I understand your point, in that institutions may decide to award scholarships based on a student's value, but I think it's easy to see that this is not exclusively the case (almost all the scholarships I've seen are for people from unfortunate economic backgrounds) and it's certainly not the the case in this instance. The reason I say this is because it isn't the school doing it, and race is not a morally or legally valid way to determine how much a person is "worth".

Soldato
Pour some privilege on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Who cares. Good on those kids. I bet there's some other kids that have white/Asian/whatever race you can think off supporting them financially through their education, no different to that other than coverage(ego massaging. It's just the media stirring things up as usual.

However, placing all judgement on someone based on the colour of their skin (or any other protected characteristic - negatively or positively) is ******** and these sorts of actions, as seen in the thread, will have a push back effect and won't make anything better in the long run.

Soldato
I'm a bit late to the outrage party but great to see the standard frothers frothing away. I particularly liked the appeal to Martin Luther King by some of our more predictable members, without any hint of self-awareness or irony :cry:

e: a cast list appears!

1. 19 posts Dis86
  2. 10 posts BallistixOnZ490
  3. 7 posts Cooler running
  4. 5 posts The Running Man
  5. 5 posts james.miller
  6. 3 posts silvagti
  7. 3 posts jsmoke
  8. 3 posts thenewoc

Funnily enough, that looks a lot like my ignore list. Thanks for summarising. I was also amused by the quoting of MLK. I think he'd be more upset to find out that racists were using him as a rallying point than worrying about Stormzy.

Back
Top Bottom