Disgusting !

Soldato
You're missing the point though aren't you. It's got almost nothing to do with age and more to do with expecting something for nothing because that's the way your parents have brought you up.

It'll all be a bit different when it's someone else ripping off your hard work and depriving your family and children of the income they deserve and are entitled to.

Hahaha, how come the artists don't agree? Even 50 cent said p2p is not harmfull at all.

Soldato
Yes, @ the young generations, once all the oldies ( anybody now 35+) die out the majority will eventually agree. I have yet to meet anybody in my school that has never downloaded a song, espcially people between 12-20 will all think it's okay.

not even that, you only have to step into my workplace to see the healthy trade of media, im one of the youngest at 29 years young. I suspect its a simmilar story all over the world.....

Pretty much, no, infact all people I know have no problem with it.

Caporegime
The posters who support piracy know it's not the right thing to do and that is why they object so strongly to it being called theft. Being a criminal (and it's perfectly possible for "piracy" to be a criminal offence although it is fair to say it's usually delft with as a civil matter) doesn't sit well with the perverse logic they use to justify their actions.

They try to wrap it up as not depriving anyone of anything, or "it's only me, what's one copy of a film to a corporation" as some kind of excuse for their dishonesty.

And that's what it is, dishonest, plain and simple. Quite frankly the whole "clone" or "the companies charge to much I'm some kind of Robin Hood sticking it to the faceless corporations" excuses is the kind of twaddle wheeled out by dishonest scumbags that think the world owes them a living and are happy to rip off someone else's hard work for nothing because they think they're special somehow.

Surprising how many people round here are happy to publicise that they're dishonest and not to be trusted /shrug. Maybe they think it's cool?

Arguing the semantics of exactly what this kind of dishonesty is called is pointless.

Frankly the more the companies and legal system fight back and take these leaches to court the better.

is it right that an artist makes well under 10% of the money from record sales?

Or that the RIAA etc collect royaltys on behalf of artists and often never tell the artis in question?

ASi say i would much rather a commercial customisable on-line Tv system supported by adds, which probably could easily happen in it weren't for such organisations refusing to let anyone do it without massive crippling amounts of DRM which people don't want. there is no point in punishing the people who pay/ are watching it legally just to slow down those who will get it illegally.

Soldato
Hahaha, how come the artists don't agree? Even 50 cent said p2p is not harmfull at all.
You see this is the kind of ill informed unfounded information that people use to try and justify their dishonesty.

Please show us the documented details of where all... In fact lets even just say the majority of artists say it's OK to rip off their work for free.

Soldato
not even that, you only have to step into my workplace to see the healthy trade of media, im one of the youngest at 29 years young. I suspect its a simmilar story all over the world.....

Pretty much, no, infact all people I know have no problem with it.

I find that impossible to believe, UK culture is not much different to ours, even when I had to be accompanied by the original buyer of a borked 8800GT card, when I was waiting for service @ the RMA dept. A 40 ish year old man admitted he just downloaded Vista. Every person I have to go visit with my parents has massive piles of cd's with burned music, games and films.
Even from the adults I can't seem to think of a single person not having at least a few copies of music, films, games or whatever. Perhaps the people you know don't like admitting it, but everybody I know has no problem with it. The only ones that don't do it, are the few ones that are scared it's illegal.

You see this is the kind of ill informed unfounded information that people use to try and justify their dishonesty.

Please show us the documented details of where all... In fact lets even just say the majority of artists say it's OK to rip off their work for free.

http://torrentfreak.com/50cent-file-sharing-doesnt-hurt-the-artists-071208/

50 Cent: File-Sharing Doesn’t Hurt Artists, Industry Should Adapt
Written by enigmax on December 08, 2007
Before getting up on stage at a club in Oslo, 50 Cent gave an interview. In it he denied taking coke on live TV in Zagreb and then dropped a file-sharing bombshell: “What is important for the music industry to understand is that this really doesn`t hurt the artists!” Wow. No-one cares about the coke now.

Curtis James Jackson III, aka 50 Cent has been a drug dealer, he’s been shot, he’s a hugely successful artist - selling over 20 million albums - and he even has his own label, G-Unit Records.

Thirty minutes before getting up on stage at a club in Oslo, 50 Cent gave an interview with Pål Nordseth. Most of the interview was spent with him denying using cocaine on live TV in Zagreb.

Pål asked 50 Cent: “How are G-Unit Records doing in these times of file-sharing?

“Not so good.” he responded. “The advances in technology impacts everyone, and we all must adapt. Most of all hip-hop, a style of music dependent upon a youthful audience. This market consists of individuals embracing innovations faster than the fans of classical and jazz music.”

“What is important for the music industry to understand is that this really doesn’t hurt the artists.”

Thats quite a statement. Organizations like the RIAA are always talking about how the artists get hurt by file-sharing but 50 Cent clearly doesn’t agree. In fact, he appears to appreciate the value of a good fan, whether he buys or file-shares his music, as he explains:

“A young fan may be just as devout and dedicated no matter if he bought it or stole it.”

Indeed. It’s been said time and time again - get the music out there by any which way, fill the gigs and capitalize on the merchandising and ends will meet. 50 Cent agrees:

“The concerts are crowded and the industry must understand that they have to manage all the 360 degrees around an artist. They, (the industry), have to maximize their income from concerts and merchandise. It is the only way they can get their marketing money back.”

He finishes up: “The main problem is that the artists are not getting as much help developing as before file-sharing. They are now learning to peddle ringtones, not records” he said.

“They don’t understand the value of a perfect piece of art.”

A huge thanks to RayJoha for his great work on this piece

Soldato
is it right that an artist makes well under 10% of the money from record sales?

Or that the RIAA etc collect royaltys on behalf of artists and often never tell the artis in question?

ASi say i would much rather a commercial customisable on-line Tv system supported by adds, which probably could easily happen in it weren't for such organisations refusing to let anyone do it without massive crippling amounts of DRM which people don't want. there is no point in punishing the people who pay/ are watching it legally just to slow down those who will get it illegally.
Sorry, I don't get your point, how does any of that justify dishonestly ripping off someone else's work? If people could be trusted to not be dishonest there would be no need for DRM to discourage casual piracy

Last edited:
Soldato
I find that impossible to believe, UK culture is not much different to ours, even when I had to be accompanied by the original buyer of a borked 8800GT card, when I was waiting for service @ the RMA dept. A 40 ish year old man admitted he just downloaded Vista. Every person I have to go visit with my parents has massive piles of cd's with burned music, games and films.
Even from the adults I can't seem to think of a single person not having at least a few copies of music, films, games or whatever. Perhaps the people you know don't like admitting it, but everybody I know has no problem with it. The only ones that don't do it, are the few ones that are scared it's illegal.

http://torrentfreak.com/50cent-file-sharing-doesnt-hurt-the-artists-071208/

Thats exactly what I was saying, read it again, lol ;)

Man of Honour
I don't think any 'minor' band would be particuarly bothered about p2p, if anything it increases exposure. For a major band, it is obviously more problematic as people will download an album regardless of interest in the band.

As for 50 cent, I don't think the people who buy his records really represent the people who will use p2p..

Jet

Jet

Soldato
It's not theft and it's not been proven that downloading has a serious affect on sales either.

If they want to make more money companies need to adapt their business model rather than sue kids.

Soldato

Well let's face it on the scale of things Holland is hardly a well known producer of the kind of software, films and music that people would want to rip off. It's just a case of "it doesn't effect our economy so it's OK", no one wants to rip off anything we produce anyway.

Soldato
Sorry, I don't get your point, how does any of that justify dishonestly ripping off someone else's work? If people could be trusted to not be dishonest there would be no need for DRM to discourage casual piracy

DRM doesnt discourage casual piracy, it merely annoys people who chose to pay for media.

Classic example, a guy who purchased a very expensive TV, only to discover that HDCP is not the same thing as high def, he was quite upset, and who can blame him.

Another example, my dad got an Ipod against my advice of a proper mp3 player, and he felt like smashing it up when he took it home and put a song on it, only to lose the hundreds I had previously put on it.

Caporegime
Sorry, I don't get your point, how does any of that justify dishonestly ripping off someone else's work? If people could be trusted to not dishonestly rip off other peoples work there would be no need for DRM to discourage casual piracy

didn't say it justified anything, just that it's not right that an artist get's so little and the fact most support them selves on concerts and merchandise not record sales, as they wouldn't get enough.

and no DRM does not discourage casual piracy, casual piracy occurs further down the line, casual piracy is the people who go on youtube and search the name of a tv show, or stage6 or other such places DRM is there to try and stop people from copying it, something that is virtually impossible as there are so many talented people ready to break it as soon as it comes out, at which point it sops being an inconvenience to pirates, and simply discourages people from legitimately using it.

For example if they did make such an on line tv station they wouldn't do it as simple as youtube etc where you just watch you would have to install some bloated software that comes with tons of warning sof your a dirty rotten pirate we will get you. and puts people of watching it, the pirates will of course still rip it (can't really see causal pirates sitting there recording a stream, and breaking whatever they've used), cut the ad's then up load it to you tube stage 6 etc, where a lot of the people who would have watched the ads, will go and see it with far less hassle.

to stop casual piracy you have to make it easyer than to pirate.

Soldato
Well let's face it on the scale of things Holland is hardly a well known producer of the kind of software, films and music that people would want to rip off. It's just a case of "it doesn't effect our economy so it's OK", no one wants to rip off anything we produce anyway.

Holland produces some of the best house music on the planet.

Soldato
DRM doesnt discourage casual piracy, it merely annoys people who chose to pay for media.

Classic example, a guy who purchased a very expensive TV, only to discover that HDCP is not the same thing as high def, he was quite upset, and who can blame him.

Another example, my dad got an Ipod against my advice of a proper mp3 player, and he felt like smashing it up when he took it home and put a song on it, only to lose the hundreds I had previously put on it.
DRM discourages casual piracy, mainly of the "I've bought a copy of Vista/Transformers/whatever i'll give a copy to all my mates a school" type.

As for the HDCP thing, what does DRM have to do with someone being stupid enough to buy "an expensive TV" assuming HDCP is Hi-Def, That's just being as ill informed as someone buying a HD-DVD player and expecting it to to play Blu-ray.

Soldato
Also, with p2p, youtube, etc there is no such need as a record company that eats up 90% of the profit, an artist can spread it himself easely by making a quick webshop offering loseless quality FLAC files for 50 p or 320 kbit mp3's for 40 p ( just an example ).

Imo, as said b4, the whole way of distributing of media is not of this time and primitive, a lot of un-neccesary persons and methods are involved, the price can be much lowered by avoiding records company's altogether and so the artists make their own type of release system on the net.

Caporegime
As for the HDCP thing, what does DRM have to do with someone being stupid enough to buy "an expensive TV" assuming HDCP is Hi-Def, That's just being as ill informed as someone buying a HD-DVD player and expecting it to to play Blu-ray.

HDCP is DRM

Back
Top Bottom