Disgusting !

Man of Honour
Imo, as said b4, the whole way of distributing of media is not of this time and primitive, a lot of un-neccesary persons and methods are involved, the price can be much lowered by avoiding records company's altogether and so the artists make their own type of release system on the net.
Even if the price was much lower, I bet my bottom dollar you wouldn't pay for it. Therefore this doesn't seem to be a strong argument.

Caporegime
I know, what does that have to do with a guy being annoyed he bought a HDCP TV only to find it wasn't HD?

no he bought a hd tv but not hdCP i think is what he said.

all HDCP equipment is HD not all HD equipment is HDCP, as you have to pay a license to get a HDCP certificate.

Soldato
I think i remember seeing a movie company thanking piracy as they got a lot more ppl interested in there film if it wasnt for them the movie wouldnt have been as popular.

was sicko or something like that, one of the informative movies, it was very educational and entertaining. micheal moore encouraged people to download it.

Yes i will admit i do 'steal' things, but as someone studying at university the chances are i will get a decent job, and be able to afford more.
I spend my fair share on music and videos, and games. Difference is i only pay for things im certain i like and that are of quality.
I also dont feel morally wrong downloading most music, as if i like bands enough i will go and see them live, which gives more money to the artist, and gives more experience to me. I go and see live music often.

Piracy in general is wrong, but it also has very useful uses and isnt as wrong as a lot of people make out, it is slowly influencing the industry and forcing it to listen to the consumer more and adopt different strategys etc.

Don
Imo, as said b4, the whole way of distributing of media is not of this time and primitive, a lot of un-neccesary persons and methods are involved, the price can be much lowered by avoiding records company's altogether and so the artists make their own type of release system on the net.
This argument came up for Radiohead when they released In Rainbows over the net. They were only in a position to do so because of the money that had went into promoting them by record companies originally and no doubt having a professional level personal recording studio helps as well.

Would Lily Allen and the like have made millions if they hadn't been signed by a record company and instead just continued posting their stuff on Myspace?

Caporegime
Do you have statisitics to back up what you were saying about the majority of people thinking piracy is okay? That vote of 500 people doesn't count for reasons already mentioned.

do you have any statistics that say the majority don't?

and by the way the guy in the survey wasn't pro piracy ;)

Soldato
Yes thats what I meant, sorry for the confusion.
I'd not seen the story about a single man ( presumably out of the millions that have bought HD TVs) in the world that you say was annoyed his TV was not HDCP compatible.

I didn't think there was any mainstream HDCP protected media around at the moment.

Link to original story please?

Soldato
This argument came up for Radiohead when they released In Rainbows over the net. They were only in a position to do so because of the money that had went into promoting them by record companies originally and no doubt having a professional level personal recording studio helps as well.

Would Lily Allen and the like have made millions if they hadn't been signed by a record company and instead just posted their stuff on Myspace?

Heheh, well radiohead = some talent which means they did actually get some people paying them, lilly allen on the otherhand wouldnt make a penny lol.

Democracy in action :D

Soldato

Would Lily Allen and the like have made millions if they hadn't been signed by a record company and instead just continued posting their stuff on Myspace?
Would Lily Allen have got a contract without myspace exposure? not in my opinion, yet another reason to hate myspace!

Caporegime
wow, this could go round in circles. Happy days.

You made an assert questioning the perceived view, just wondering why.

--------------------

I still think a poll in this thread would be cool. PLEASE DO IT MODS :)

well you just said that a quick survey by a new York times writer couldn't be used, also your the one who made the allegation that the majority don't think it's ok so it's your responsibility to prove that.

Soldato
I'm not the one making the accusation ;) burden of truth ***.

Sad that blink 182 aren't on that list though, and a lot of other band i would have thought of as major :(
I didn't make the accusation, the OP posted 50cent as a major artist and then another poster said his music sells well and he's not a minor artist. The only stats quoted by anyone seem to disagree.

You see it's all too easy for pirates to quote all this twaddle about it doesn't hurt anyone apart from the evil corporations and "piracy has the backing of the artists". It all sounds great to justify being dishonest, they just never seem to be able to prove any of the statements.

Like I said originally to the "Artists don't care" statement. Lets see proof that the majority of recording artists don't mind if everyone rips off their work. I won't hold my breath

Soldato
I'd not seen the story about a single man ( presumably out of the millions that have bought HD TVs) in the world that you say was annoyed his TV was not HDCP compatible.

I didn't think there was any mainstream HDCP protected media around at the moment.

Link to original story please?

Its on consumer action group if you care to look it up, but the basic point is:

He paid, I dunno, £1200 for a state of the art telly, and subsquently discovered what HDCP was, and felt a bit short changed and was wondering if he could claim against the store for mis-selling the TV.
The conclusion was that it wasn't mis-sold as he only requested High-def, being an average joe, didnt know what HDCP is.

He felt ripped off, as he expected to get somthing state of the art, and I know HDCP media is rare at the moment, but the point of the story serves as yet another example of how DRM gives the honest people a hard time, whilst the pirates really dont give to hoots about HDCP.

The poor bloke spent all that money, and now percives his lovely new TV as sub-standard, which, technicly speaking, it is.

Caporegime
I didn't make the accusation, the OP posted 50cent as a major artist and then another poster said his music sells well and he's not a minor artist. The only stats quoted by anyone seem to disagree.

your list is of massive record sales though and most of the bands are from the 60-70's he does sell well and makes a lot of money but more importantly is very well known (personally I think his music is ********) but you can't really say he's C list.

Soldato
Its on consumer action group if you care to look it up, but the basic point is:

He paid, I dunno, £1200 for a state of the art telly, and subsquently discovered what HDCP was, and felt a bit short changed and was wondering if he could claim against the store for mis-selling the TV.
The conclusion was that it wasn't mis-sold as he only requested High-def, being an average joe, didnt know what HDCP is.

He felt ripped off, as he expected to get somthing state of the art, and I know HDCP media is rare at the moment, but the point of the story serves as yet another example of how DRM gives the honest people a hard time, whilst the pirates really dont give to hoots about HDCP.

The poor bloke spent all that money, and now percives his lovely new TV as sub-standard, which, technicly speaking, it is.
Sorry what has that got to do with DRM being a bad thing. He didn't check or inform himself of what he was buying. I could make the same argument for buying a PS3 and discovering it didn't play US region discs, or Xbox games.

It's nothing to do with the technology and down to the person having spent a lot of money without checking what he was buying. If I bought a car and later discovered it didn't have heated seats even though i'd never asked for them would that make heated seats evil?

It applies to everything you buy and has nothing inherently to do with DRM being a good or bad thing

Back
Top Bottom