Disgusting !

Before you panic analyse the letter; does the address match, can you find the staff member on the website, is it your IP, etc

Look on the website for any scam alerts (someone posted a link to it I think)

Once that is done contact someone at the website through phone or contact the relevant department at Steam to see if it is genuine.

It is not a scam, Davenport Lyons will be acting on behalf of a German company called Zuxxez Entertainment and the Pinball game is one of their products. It seems that Zuxxez use Logistep to get the details of the file share and then use Davenport Lyons to move to obtain customer details from the ISPs. Interestingly, it is suspected, but un-provable, that Zuxxez may have seeded a p2p file themselves and then nabbed the downloader :|. Unsecure wireless network? either way if it goes to court they should have to be obliged to be able to prove that you had the software, but something tells me they won't be.

"Our client has retained forensic computer analysts to search for and identify internet addresses from which their games are being made available on so called "peer to peer" (P2P) internet sites for the purposes of making them available for download by third parties without our client's consent or licence"
Look familiar?

Well the ip address matches but i dont understand i dont even know how to download two worlds other than through steam, im getting very worried because ive never been in trouble,
They say in there letter that they demand £700 or it will go up and up, but it confuses me that i didnt do what they claim i did and i cant proove otherwise as i dont keep records of my day to day life.

Well the ip address matches but i dont understand i dont even know how to download two worlds other than through steam, im getting very worried because ive never been in trouble,
They say in there letter that they demand £700 or it will go up and up, but it confuses me that i didnt do what they claim i did and i cant proove otherwise as i dont keep records of my day to day life.

Hrm...

how old are you?

Maybe it is real, but I can't see them doing anything about it if the OP is telling the truth. How can it be illegal to download a free demo and then purchase the full product legally via Steam?

This has been done twice this year so far, once for dream pinball and once for cmrdirt.

Some have paid up I'm not aware of actual court cases. They are a real law firm and can get your ip etc from the isp but in a lot of cases the details don't quite tally.

edit: last year

and it would be very difficult to prove and impossible if you didn't do it.

it's a scam

Last edited:
My advice, do not reply directly to the letter, if you feel you must reply use a solicitor. Or do not reply at all and if it does go to court, unlikely imo, then just tell them you thought it was a scam/phishing etc.

On the streets? You can afford the PC in your sig but 700 quid will mean you're on the streets :confused:

Anyway, first step is to contact them and make sure it's legit and not a scam.

NO don't contact them because then you give them more details, let it lie

a legal document has to be signed for, if you didn't receive it then you wouldn't pay would you ;)

edit: you will likely get one more letter and then hear nothing more.

by the way the same thing has been tried across Europe

Last edited:
Actually, how can they demand money off you in the form of a fine if you haven't been convicted of anything in a court of law?

Phone them up, see what the crack is and then tell them to bugger off!

Actually this reminds me of mass letters sent out by a big NY (for USA) and London (for UK) law firm working for Microsoft.

They bought an image company though I can't remember the name. Anyway, the letter went to tens of thousands of website owners requesting compensation or it will go to court. A lot of people didn't pay as many of them were innocent.

Afaik not one case occured, looked like it was just to send a message out and the fact some probably did pay out of fear was just an added bonus.

Maybe you're part of a 1000 people mass mail and they just want to scare you and possibly gain compensation.

Actually, how can they demand money off you in the form of a fine if you haven't been convicted of anything in a court of law?

Phone them up, see what the crack is and then tell them to bugger off!

Basically it is an out of court settlement fee, they want you to know you will pay much more if it went to court.

On the streets? You can afford the PC in your sig but 700 quid will mean you're on the streets :confused:

Anyway, first step is to contact them and make sure it's legit and not a scam.

lol no, the way they word the letter is along the lines of if it goes to court and you lose and you dont pay zuxxez will apply to the courts to have the judgement applied against your property etc.

Back
Top Bottom