DIY ensuite bathroom replacement - build log

Caporegime
OP
Have a look at abacus fittings. They do full height frames which are excellent.

Basically a steel stud wall - but it’s minimal build out. Can also fit the famous dlockers shower niches within.
Thank you for this. I've watched so many Skill Builder / Roger Bisby Abacus videos I think I could take over from Roger at some point; really good kit by the looks of it.

Soldato
shower is staying in the same place then,but plumbed in then ? not sure why you wouldn't maintain the shower head and mixer valve on the same narrower stud side,
so that it doesn't take space from moving around in the shower ...
you're not moving the basin onto to window wall for outdoor light and use a mobile mirror , spot lights above the basin helps too. ...
could have a right of window corner basin too, and maybe leave toilet.

Caporegime
OP
shower is staying in the same place then,but plumbed in then ?

Correct, moving from electric shower to plumbed off a combi shower (with a view to moving to unvented cylinder at some point).

not sure why you wouldn't maintain the shower head and mixer valve on the same narrower stud side,
so that it doesn't take space from moving around in the shower ...

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Having the valve under the shower isn't the end of the world and will save an awful lot of work / dust / compromising the brick wall, and there's definitely room in the wall for the valve, so I'll go with that. Decision made!

If you want you can go down the smart shower route and just have a ceiling exit :D

On this. I had a smart shower in my last house and maybe it was just me / the model, but it was nothing but a temperamental PITA :D. I'll be sticking with mechanical thermostatic mixers for this room.

I did put a ceiling-fed Bristan mixer shower in our main bathroom though (interim measure) and it's been excellent and was really easy to install. For this room I'm fixated on the look of a recessed valve and hidden pipes though.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want you can go down the smart shower route and just have a ceiling exit :D

I think the smart ones I saw still had a wireless temperature control, but the beauty was that you could stick it anywhere. Not like the traditional mixers that need to be connected to both your hot and cold water supply.

Might be a tad more expensive, but that might pay for itself with the simplicity of installation. You'd just need to fully tile a room and wouldn't have to worry about cutouts for the mixer or shower heads.

Soldato
On this. I had a smart shower in my last house and maybe it was just me / the model, but it was nothing but a temperamental PITA :D. I'll be sticking with mechanical thermostatic mixers for this room.

I did put a ceiling-fed Bristan mixer shower in our main bathroom though (interim measure) and it's been excellent and was really easy to install. For this room I'm fixated on the look of a recessed valve and hidden pipes though.
Thinking outside of the box - is there anywhere else you can put the mixer? It doesn't always have to be central to the shower head. To be honest I prefer my offcentered "bar" because I can turn the shower on without being blasted.

Soldato
yes bar on mine is offset and can reach in for flow valve quickly w/o getting wet, however thermostat valve is too close to corner to remove cartridge
flow valve is weeping and had spent some time at weekend trying to break it open - need to remove bath panel in the hope there are isolation valves too,
in general, not sure where you'd hide valves ?

rimless bowl parents had last year in bathroom refit - amazed how good flush is.
I like a decent hand basin size too, none of these countertops where you can't wash hair, put a foot in, or have bar of soap at edge level,
moveable spout on mixer tap useful too.

Soldato
yes bar on mine is offset and can reach in for flow valve quickly w/o getting wet, however thermostat valve is too close to corner to remove cartridge
flow valve is weeping and had spent some time at weekend trying to break it open - need to remove bath panel in the hope there are isolation valves too,
in general, not sure where you'd hide valves ?

rimless bowl parents had last year in bathroom refit - amazed how good flush is.
I like a decent hand basin size too, none of these countertops where you can't wash hair, put a foot in, or have bar of soap at edge level,
moveable spout on mixer tap useful too.
My pecker pops out on those rimless toilets when I sit down. Super annoying.

RE: Valve hiding, for example, on the adjacent wall which may be being built out. You can then just chase in the outlet for the shower head vs. the whole valve contraption.

Caporegime
OP
My pecker pops out on those rimless toilets when I sit down. Super annoying.

Maybe it knows to get out of the way of the extreme flushing vortex.

RE: Valve hiding, for example, on the adjacent wall which may be being built out. You can then just chase in the outlet for the shower head vs. the whole valve contraption.

Can't build out perpendicular wall because it would put the shower waste over a joist. Can't have a different tray because the low-level stone ones are seemingly all central wastes.

Soldato
I'd meant whether you have isolation valves, not the taps, and how you hide them ..
( since I just realised that for me, need to turn off cold and hot supplies, at 'mains' before changing cartridge - double jeopardy. -
so I might need to anticipate needing a cap ..
pulled washing machine at weekend to check & clean waste/feed ... and as compression fitting on isolation valve moved , had similar reflection )

Caporegime
OP
The Google is weak with you young padawan.
Just to expand on my comment, the below shows the layout I'm dealing with:

lClLa7Rh.jpeg

On the left running parallel with the wall is a steel joist, hence the low profile shower trap they've used. I want / need to use a full-size high-flow trap so I can't have a tray where the waste is right at the back, no matter if lateral or central.

On the right is a joist, about 450mm out from the wall. The tray has to be no wider than 800mm or it will foul the door to the room.

The waste has to be central to make it work as far as I can tell from this and I also can't build out the wall towards the joist too much, as I already have no room to play with.

Fun!

Soldato
Get a square tray that you walk into rather than curved and will have more options for waste position. Look up for example mira Flight shower trays and i think there's 3 or so waste positions possible.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

Square tray, corner waste with no upstands and rotate to correct position? or have I missed something?

Or central waste

Caporegime
OP

Square tray, corner waste with no upstands and rotate to correct position? or have I missed something?

Or central waste

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

I was after a low-profile stone resin anti slip job for the level-access look and more grip than the plastic trays.

I've found this on Drench, which I think will work:

erRw9we.png

Soldato
I'd meant whether you have isolation valves, not the taps, and how you hide them ..
( since I just realised that for me, need to turn off cold and hot supplies, at 'mains' before changing cartridge - double jeopardy. -
so I might need to anticipate needing a cap ..
pulled washing machine at weekend to check & clean waste/feed ... and as compression fitting on isolation valve moved , had similar reflection )
Isolation valves double points of failure so I avoid them. Really isn't any drama switching off at mains to service things imo.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

I was after a low-profile stone resin anti slip job for the level-access look and more grip than the plastic trays.

I've found this on Drench, which I think will work:

erRw9we.png
Noted :cool: I've actually got that exact shower tray in the main bathroom but 1600x800, it's decent and I fitted it first and tiled up to it to get the exact look you're after without going wet room.

Soldato
Have you considered just going wet room? The brain power to get that thing fitted so when you tile it is level, you may as well put a shower former in, tank and tile it?

Back
Top Bottom