DIY ensuite bathroom replacement - build log

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

I was after a low-profile stone resin anti slip job for the level-access look and more grip than the plastic trays.

I've found this on Drench, which I think will work:

erRw9we.png

Hi,

we were considering going for a level entry slate effect tray like the above, but we got put off by several plumbers due to huge issues with them. a couple being is that they are so thin, the bigger the tray the water does not drain properly due to the run off to the drain being very shallow and not steep enough. Also another reason is that if there is a issue with the shower screen or drain blocking, the water will just flood your bathroom instead of having a traditional 10mm lip.

They do look amazing though, but they aren't practical, theres a thread on a plumbing web site that mentioned the above as well

Hi,

we were considering going for a level entry slate effect tray like the above, but we got put off by several plumbers due to huge issues with them. a couple being is that they are so thin, the bigger the tray the water does not drain properly due to the run off to the drain being very shallow and not steep enough. Also another reason is that if there is a issue with the shower screen or drain blocking, the water will just flood your bathroom instead of having a traditional 10mm lip.

They do look amazing though, but they aren't practical, theres a thread on a plumbing web site that mentioned the above as well
Hearing what you're saying but also wondering how much of this is down to poor installation or tradies trying to make their lives easier.

If the tray is level and a high flow drain is installed correctly with 1.5 inch waste with proper fall, I can't see that it would be a huge issue.

Also my floor will be fully waterproof as I'm having a walk in screen rather than an enclosure.

In any case I'd already ordered it when I read your message :D.

Hearing what you're saying but also wondering how much of this is down to poor installation or tradies trying to make their lives easier.

If the tray is level and a high flow drain is installed correctly with 1.5 inch waste with proper fall, I can't see that it would be a huge issue.

Also my floor will be fully waterproof as I'm having a walk in screen rather than an enclosure.

i was thinking the same thing about poor install or tradies going for the easy option. if they were that bad they wouldn't be on sale still

have the same in my bathroom for the last year and a bit. No issues with drainage or flooding the bathroom and that's with long showers with both rainfall and jet on at the same time. I think like a lot of things, if you look for reviews you will always find a bad one somewhere

Yes, UFH mat covered on top of 10mm XPS tile backer board (secured with adhesive + screws) then covered by self-levelling compound.
Goodo! I went with the Fastwarm loose cables and bobbly things - odd shape to the room and I don’t think my head could work out the cuts! I was aggrieved to put 10mm board down - we have an insulated timber floor below - so raised the height a bit - but will just fit a nice threshold bar in oak or something.

The insulation is pretty much what you’d find in any new build / extension / loft conversion. It’s all we have in ours. I specced different plasterboard that had (apparently) some better acoustic properties - but if it’s ok - I wouldn’t bother changing it. Others may disagree - especially with PIR board being pretty inexpensive now - but you’re gonna have boards - assume 12mm? Tile adhesive and then tiles - so you’ve probably got the best part of 30mm before the rock wool.

See what others think obvs!

Others may disagree - especially with PIR board being pretty inexpensive now - but you’re gonna have boards - assume 12mm? Tile adhesive and then tiles - so you’ve probably got the best part of 30mm before the rock wool.
Yes the boards will be 12mm polymer/ cement coated polystyrene type boards.

Sounds like consensus is that the existing should be ok, which is great because the materials have already cost me a fortune on this. You can take see why even average bathrooms are £££.

On Saturday I have a huge delivery of all the exiting stuff - S2 tile adhesive, primer, self-levelling compound, shower tray, and no more leaks seal kit.

Get some ceiling speakers up there with the spots, nice to just listen to some tunes on when you’re in

Yes the boards will be 12mm polymer/ cement coated polystyrene type boards.

Sounds like consensus is that the existing should be ok, which is great because the materials have already cost me a fortune on this. You can take see why even average bathrooms are £££.

On Saturday I have a huge delivery of all the exiting stuff - S2 tile adhesive, primer, self-levelling compound, shower tray, and no more leaks seal kit.
Aye - deffo!

I’ve used it as an excuse to get some new buckets!!

Think all in - excluding shower tray which I’ve already fitted, and floor ply - around 3k.. most costly stuff is tiles and the furniture! Even shower screens aren’t as much as I thought.

Good fun though - done a few bathrooms but this is the first for us a so better get it right!!!

Ref the speakers - actually a pretty cool idea - problem is the cost unless you jerry rig it!

The lithe speakers are incredible - but at £300 a pop - not cheap!!

All our house is AirPlay - but could use the Belkin Soundform and a cheaper alternative speaker I suppose…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom