DIY ensuite bathroom replacement - build log

Caporegime
OP
Are you gonna use tile adhesive for the boards or some CT1 type stuff??
I'm using S2 rapid set tile adhesive, Ultra Tilefix brand, for both the foam boards and the floor tiles.

Then I'm going to screw it in with wedi-style round washers before the adhesive goes off to make sure it follows the contour of the floor boards, and then correct level with SLC.

If any floor tiles crack after everything I'm doing to prevent that then I'm going to throw myself out of the window, as I've had experience of cracked tiles and grout from poor installation and have researched extensively about how to avoid it.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using S2 rapid set tile adhesive, Ultra Tilefix brand, for both the foam boards and the floor tiles.

Then I'm going to screw it in with wedi-style round washers before the adhesive goes off to make sure it follows the contour of the floor boards, and then correct level with SLC.

If any floor tiles crack after everything I'm doing to prevent that then I'm going to throw myself out of the window, as I've had experience of cracked tiles and grout from poor installation and have researched extensively about how to avoid it.
Goodo - sounds like you’re following the manufacturers instructions!!

Yeah - I’ve done it that way before and it’s deffo worth all the millions of buckets and sponges you’ll use!!!

SLC is one of the best (and easiest, sorry straightforward) processes out there!

Caporegime
OP
Get some ceiling speakers up there with the spots, nice to just listen to some tunes on when your in the shower.

Did the same with marine grade speakers paired to a bluetooth receiver and glad I did so.
I'm going to park this idea for the moment and maybe add them later.

It'll be easy to add at any point from the lighting circuit in the loft and as cool as it sounds, my budget has already been blown and I keep adding new stuff, like £70 for a wall-mounted toothbrush charger :o.

Associate
I'm going to park this idea for the moment and maybe add them later.

It'll be easy to add at any point from the lighting circuit in the loft and as cool as it sounds, my budget has already been blown and I keep adding new stuff, like £70 for a wall-mounted toothbrush charger :o.
Ha!! Same here. They’re actually a really cool little addition. No wires is definitely a benefit.

Ours have a dedicated circuit - but very easy to run off the permanent line - not advised to run it off the switch as they’ll only work when the light is switched on..

Nothing like having a bowel movement with whalesong blasting from above your head…

Soldato
Few things that I have noticed since my build and slight rebuild is:
If a mirror is used for more than lip pouts and hair flicks, then one with a built in demister and good illumination is a must, if not, then a mirror with side illumination (as earlier in this thread) looks killer and add a couple downlights in the ceiling above the mirror and sink, if using it for more than lip pouts etc
OTT, but sometimes you can find TV mirrors for good prices and one worth looking for, but not idea for using as a fine detail mirror.

Tile the window sill with a slight drop back into the bathroom, this will help avoid water build up and the chance of mould if not noticed.
A good quality ceiling extractor with adjustable run on times is a must imo.
Isolation valves, if they can be added in hidden locations are also imo a must and can make life easier than finding a stock **** 20 metres from the issue/change of item and the having to allow that whole pipe of water to drain off before working on...

Soldato
We recently had our main bathroom redone as it was in appalling condition (took 2 years to save up after moving in to get it done)

Anyway, here are links to some key things we got for you to consider seeing that it needs electrics in the right place as you are at that point :)
https://www.bellabathrooms.co.uk/pr...lished-steel-electric-toothbrush-charger.html
https://www.livingandhome.co.uk/pro...net-with-sensor-switch?variant=44354505212155
https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-a...gh-pressurecombi-boiler-11903088-2631-1264099

Back
Top Bottom