• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

But it is clear AMD has prioritised production of consoles and CPUs over dGPUs. You saw that by some of the numbers that got leaked out about 7NM wafer allocations during the pandemic. AMD dGPUs are easy to get in Western Europe and the US,but in many parts of the world it is much easier to find Nvidia products.

You can also see it this generation - there is more concentration on cutting production costs. AMD has access to the same TSMC 4N 5NM process as Nvidia but is using it for APUs:

This is an IGP which clocks upto 3GHZ in a TDP constrained environment. Navi 31 doesn't even have a big GCD and its made on bog standard TSMC 5NM(Nvidia uses TSMC 4N 5NM). Nvidia went for a 600+ MM2 top die dGPU,and AMD went for a mixed process node dGPU closer to 500MM2.Navi 33 looks like a slightly die shrunk Navi 23 made on an economy TSMC 6NM process. They are not using GDDR6X or stacked cache either.

The best we can hope for is that in the mainstream area they produce decent enough dGPUs to sort of keep Nvidia in check.

That phoenix apu is powerful. The Asus ROG Ally is gonna be a beast! AMDs approach works for them - if you think about it, what does AMD sell - they sell silicon and they've found that for their market they can make more money selling high volume small silicon chips, ao naturally they are not as focused as selling large silicon chips such as those used in desktop GPUs

Last edited:
On the CPU side a 5800x3d fell to about €320 from near 500 mark (position now taken by 7800x3d) in a store near me. 5800x is around €250 from around €400. But those most likely didn't have huge stocks.
The 5800X3D has fallen even lower than that, online at least. About 2 weeks ago I managed to snag one for £290.

Its the customers who make the market
So if we want AMD to bring benefits to the market, the customers have to buy more amd cards i think

By the way nvidia never provided any benefits to the market
Just closed technologies that are abandoned later (short term marketting ******** like physX, and they are others) and the more we buy nvidia cards the more they are expensive

Last edited:
Its the customers who make the market
So if we want AMD to bring benefits to the market, the customers have to buy more amd cards i think

By the way nvidia never provided any benefits to the market
Just closed technologies that are abandoned later (short term marketting ******** like physX, and they are others) and the more we buy nvidia cards the more they are expensive
So we all have to buy AMD cards to help them out… If they do then get more market share will they help me out by giving me cheap GPU’s?

Not quite worked out that way in the CPU market.

But its too much désiquilibrate
I think amd should realy have more market share
They make very good cards
There is kind of blindness from nvidia lovers

And the market would benefit of amd having better market share

There really is. I've mentioned to average gamers I've got an all AMD system. I may as well have served them up a plate of dog muck :cry:

to have better marketshare they need better products, on the gpu side they cant come close. shame really since nvidia know this and you can see that from the prices of the ada series.

There really is. I've mentioned to average gamers I've got an all AMD system. I may as well have served them up a plate of dog muck :cry:

At the entry level and mainstream level,the RX6600XT is over 40% faster than an RTX3050,and the RX6700XT is nearly 40% faster than an RTX3060. Nvidia makes more sense in the enthusiast pricing tiers. The RTX4060 8GB is going to be priced similar to an RX6700XT 12GB. Looks like it will be a slightly worse RTX3060TI,with lower power consumption for an RTX3060TI price.

So we all have to buy AMD cards to help them out… If they do then get more market share will they help me out by giving me cheap GPU’s?

Not quite worked out that way in the CPU market.

Depends on what area you are looking at, as many just look at the higher end. Most of the builds or dGPU upgrade requests I have are for dGPUs under £400. ATM,Nvidia offerings are terribad,so nobody needs to be charitable to consider an AMD card in this case! I would even say the Intel cards might even be a better buy in some cases!The RX6600/A750 demolish the RTX3050 for less money(plenty of deals closer to £200). The RX6600XT/RX6650XT is around 50% to 60% faster than an RTX3050,and is a bit quicker than an RTX3060 for under £300. The RX6700XT is close to RTX3060 level money,but is around 40% faster:

I am uncertain unless Nvidia sudden double VRAM,and reduce pricing whether the RTX4060TI and RTX4060 will be that competitive either. The RTX4060TI looks like it will be a slightly worse RTX3070 for slightly less than RTX3070 money(just like the RTX4070TI is a slightly worse RTX3080 for slightly less money but at least it has more VRAM). The RTX4060 is a slightly worse RTX3060TI for slightly less money.

The RTX4050 appears to only have 6GB of VRAM(so less than the RTX3050),so probably is an RTX3060 with less VRAM. Problem is Navi33(an economy part made on TSMC 6NM),might end up beating it for less money too and having more VRAM.

Last edited:
to have better marketshare they need better products, on the gpu side they cant come close. shame really since nvidia know this and you can see that from the prices of the ada series.

But i tell you its the customers that decide the prices, not nvidia
If customers want lower prices for nvidia cards, that means not buying their cards. And so we have a divided by zero division.

Last edited:
But i tell you its the customers that decide the prices, not nvidia
If customers want lower prices for nvidia cards, that means not buying their cards. And so we have a divided by zero division.
Was just reading an article on techpowerup that due to poor sales of the 4070 nvidia is cutting back on production rather than prices so looks like customers dont come into it for pricing. High demand = high prices, low demand = lower production.
Need intel to step up driver support

Was just reading an article on techpowerup that due to poor sales of the 4070 nvidia is cutting back on production rather than prices so looks like customers dont come into it for pricing. High demand = high prices, low demand = lower production.

They can only do so long until their revenue starts to get affected. It happened with Turing V1,and then after a year they refreshed everything.Have people already forgotten the arguments that not buying won't change anything already!? Ampere followed right afterwards! :cry:

Last edited:
Don't companies like Nvidia, Apple, AMD, Qualcomm etc have fixed wafer agreements with TSMC?

Don't companies like Nvidia, Apple, AMD, Qualcomm etc have fixed wafer agreements with TSMC?
Yes, but they a) likely have the option to stop production for a small fee depending on the volume requested and the volume already produced.. b) they stack the chips in their warehouse and sit on them and release them gradually.

They've seen it work with the 30 series cards, they've purposely withheld stock to keep the prices inflated. They will be still selling the 30 series cards for a while and the low entry 40 series will be trickled into market at higher prices meaning they won't have to discount the new cards so quick.

The worry I have is about cartel like practices. Because of the huge cost of entry we’re reliant on 3 companies with such a distorted market share in the direct graphics card market. Companies don’t like risk, so AMD doesn’t seem to be innovating much, content to let Nvidia lead on strategy and hope their price compared to Nvidia and deals on consoles keeps them going.

I avoided the insane prices by just not playing PC games for 2-3 years. But now wanting to get back into strategy games, it’s tough when my Graphics card is a 1660 super. I am just hoping prices will be driven down further. I have been enlightened by some here that £600 for a 6950 may be a good deal in the context of this price gouging of the last few years, but it’s not a good deal in general.

graphics cards are not selling out instantly any more so hoping that combined crypto bust, and chip shortages starting to end will slowly start to realign prices.

The worry I have is about cartel like practices. Because of the huge cost of entry we’re reliant on 3 companies with such a distorted market share in the direct graphics card market. Companies don’t like risk, so AMD doesn’t seem to be innovating much, content to let Nvidia lead on strategy and hope their price compared to Nvidia and deals on consoles keeps them going.

I avoided the insane prices by just not playing PC games for 2-3 years. But now wanting to get back into strategy games, it’s tough when my Graphics card is a 1660 super. I am just hoping prices will be driven down further. I have been enlightened by some here that £600 for a 6950 may be a good deal in the context of this price gouging of the last few years, but it’s not a good deal in general.

graphics cards are not selling out instantly any more so hoping that combined crypto bust, and chip shortages starting to end will slowly start to realign prices.

I have seen the RX6700XT dip to around £330ish,and that is around twice the performance and twice the VRAM as your GTX1660 Super. An RX6950XT would be another 50% faster than that,so about three times faster.

I have seen the RX6700XT dip to around £330ish,and that is around twice the performance and twice the VRAM as your GTX1660 Super. An RX6950XT would be another 50% faster than that,so about three times faster.
VRAM is the big issue, I hadn’t really realised how much of an issue it would be when I purchased it as an emergency replacement for an even older dead card but given I paid £160 it’s not too bad. Am planning to hold out until the RX 7800 to see what impact that has on things. Am building fresh since its paired with an I7 920 right now. Have been gifted a ultrawide 1440p monitor so that is obviously making 6gb vram card struggle. Paired with something a bit younger than 14 should tide me along on medium settings until July or perhaps longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom