Do many of you walk to work?

Soldato
I walk to work it's just under 3miles can do it in 45min depending on route I take at most an hour. I hate public transport so I'll never use it. I used to cycle which cut it down to no time but not able to now :(

Soldato
OP
There are a few concerns stopping me from cycling. The biggest one is potentially getting filthy & sweaty as there is no shower at the new place.

I also don't live in the greatest area & see no end of "my bike has been nicked" posts on Facebook, i have seen a few in the last couple of weeks chained to fences with half of their components missing.

Even walking it'll still be quicker than my current drive many days as traffic is horrendous.

Soldato
Secure you bike somewhere safe you won't have that issue.

As for sweaty. You can bike leisurely you won't break a sweat still do it much quicker than walked.

As for dirty clothes. Just get changed at work? Don't have to wear cycle gear but just wear any old clothes to bike in then change once you're there.

Soldato
I start a new job next week and it will be the first time ever that I have worked within a 15 mile round commute from home to work and back again.

In fact it is only 2.3 miles to the office, this is part of the reason I decided to up sticks from my current employer as although it is a great company to work for they moved the office about 9 months ago making it a 50 mile round trip, this obviously costs me time & money.

In my mind I don't feel that 2.3 miles is that far, I am thinking this is walking distance in decent weather. It isn't a boring roadside walk either, it takes me down a paved farm track initially for about a mile, then along a canal tow path & then through part of what I think is a nature reserve next to a marina.

Everyone I speak to at my current job, my wife & all my friends think they would walk for a week or so then just give up and take an extra 40 mins in bed as it is just a 3 minute drive down a 60MPH NSL road.

Do any of you guys walk a similar or longer distance to work, how do you find it?

(ps - I can just about manage 27 miles off road on a Mountainbike, but it did nearly kill me last time)

We both do, for both of us is roughly 2 miles and we can walk most of it together. When weather is nice we usually stop somewhere for a quick pint on the way home. It takes us between 30-40min each way. When a weather is really bad we either get a tram or drive.

Soldato
I walk from the bedroom to the bathroom for ablutions, then downstairs to the kitchen for tea, then back to the bedroom to get dressed then across the hall to my office.

Sure beats the years of commuting into London I've done - losing 3+ hours a day to travelling is toxic.

Same; although I am away for work most Tues-Thurs. At home all this week which is great :)

Soldato
One of my ex colleagues lives in a house with a large garden and open countryside.. he struck up a deal with a local farmer so he could fly a microlight to work every-day. Although he would have to spend a lot of time every morning and afternoon checking the weather, often he would end up having to find conventional means home.

I would cycle if i lived the type of distance you are referring to though.

I had a similar idea once but it never really took off

I'll get my coat

Associate
You have stairs to tackle. My office is 2 doors away from my bed, about 10 feet.
My desk is in our bedroom (it's a big bedroom). Used to have an office then my son arrived and cruelly stole it from me.

When I wasn't working from home, I would either walk (~2.5 miles) or cycle (~3.5 miles to avoid main roads) each way. I'd occasionally bus it in, but generally found that after the walk I was more alert, and didn't need to do anything special to keep my weight in check (and could pretty much eat what I liked). Now I'm working from home staying healthy is a lot harder!

D3K

D3K

Soldato
My desk is in our bedroom (it's a big bedroom). Used to have an office then my son arrived and cruelly stole it from me.

When I wasn't working from home, I would either walk (~2.5 miles) or cycle (~3.5 miles to avoid main roads) each way. I'd occasionally bus it in, but generally found that after the walk I was more alert, and didn't need to do anything special to keep my weight in check (and could pretty much eat what I liked). Now I'm working from home staying healthy is a lot harder!
I had my desk in my bedroom for a while too, but it got really depressing sleeping in the same place I was gonna work when I woke up.

So I moved stuff into living room. Also got myself a standing desk to help with the exercise, its great. I stand a lot when doing actual work, as it really helps with concentration. It also enables freer movement for physical multi-tasking.

beh

beh

Associate
You'll be fine, sounds like a nice walk even. Good bit of exercise too if you're not very active otherwise.

Weather is less of an issue than you'd expect. Over several months walking a similar distance I don't recall getting rained on more than a handful of times.

Man of Honour
I walk, then sail.

Do about 5 miles a day round trip.

I could bike it, but I actually like walking and often switch up the routes just to take in different surroundings from time to time, or walk past different shops to pick up different snacks :D

Soldato
I have a 5 minute walk to the train in the morning and a 5 minute walk from the train to work. However on the way home I get off 2 stops early and walk the two miles home. I started doing it for health reasons but really enjoy the time and find it relaxing. I listen to a podcast or audiobook.

Soldato
I live about 2.5 miles from work, and try and run to work on days where I don't have to take my children to school. I'd walk it without an issue though, its mainly minor roads that are super quiet even during the day.

Soldato
I used to live about a mile and a half away from my last job so used to walk it, somedays I'd really grumble and wish I'd just driven (like when its really cold or when I'm running late) but now I work 15 miles away and drive, I miss the walk. It used to de-stress me after a bad day and I'd enjoy being in my own little world plodding along listening to music. Nowadays its traffic jams, not knowing exactly what time I'll get to / from and the m3 and m25 :(

Back
Top Bottom