Do many of you walk to work?

Soldato
I'd love to be able to walk or cycle to work, but I work about 16 miles away from home at the moment. The missus runs into work a few days a week as then she doesn't have to run when she gets home in the evenings. I could kill two birds with one stone if I walked as I'm generally out doing a couple miles with the dog in the morning.. I could just walk him to work!

Soldato
I walked everyday in my last job. That would take me around 1hr 10mins each way. 5 days a week.

Ha, I think I actually walk everywhere I go now. Town is about 50 minute walk away, go to my hairdressers about an hour and 10 mins away.

Soldato
I have a slightly shorter commute and cycle it when I head in alone. When I'm with my wife we both walk. Being on call or working nights means a drive, but I have been known to cycle in at 0400!

Enjoy the lack of commute! My advice would be to get into the habit and buy proper gear so that you're not wet and cold.

Permabanned
I use to live about 2.3 miles away from work and always walked. Got the bus once and by the time I'd walked to the bus stop and due to traffic it actually took longer than walking!

Now I live 16/17 miles away from work and I cycle instead most days or get the tram/train. Both take around the same time so see little point in getting the tram/train as it costs a small fortune and I prefer being active.

Associate
Used to cycle just over 100 miles a week to do a 90 hour week, despite having a car & just not bothered using it.
Nowadays I walk roughly 4-8 miles a day & that's enough for me. Old age kicking in :p

Associate
Would love to cycle and plan to find a job closer to home once i qualify.

My office is 35 miles away but, i could be at various clients sites so realistically need to drive.

Soldato
I live approximately 1.5 miles from my place of work. I walked it a few times, but it's nearly all uphill and takes a good 25 minutes from door to desk at what feels like a decent pace.

To save me time I picked up a functional if battered bike for £20 from the tip and use that most days now. It takes 10 minutes from door to desk at low effort.

Soldato
if i could i would.
i used to work 3.3 miles away and i walked that everyday - only takes 45mins at a good pace.

unfortunately i work a lot further away now.

Soldato
I live 2.5 miles from work and as long as it's not raining I always walk there and back. If it's raining then I usually cycle in as it takes about 10 minutes. I really don't understand people who drive that kind of distance as it takes at least half an hour. I'd rather take the extra 10 minutes and get some exercise into my day!

Soldato
6min walk to the tube station, 25mins on the tube, 10min walk the other end. People complain about London commutes but mine isn't too bad. I don't think I'd like to drive to work every day.

I did a temp job when I was still living at my mums, that was probably a mile or two along the canal. It should have been very nice but I always left too late so it was a mad scramble every morning :p

I work so I can pay for things like a car so I don't have to walk to work.

I live 3 miles from work and use a car. To be honest going to and from work is just unpaid work. So its either about 16 minutes of my day lost by car, or (according to Google maps) over 2 hours of my day lost walking. Fond of my own general well-being so would never cycle. No cycle lanes where I live.

Back
Top Bottom