Do people care about getting up to date Android security updates?

Associate
blueborne says hi.

samsung fixed blueborne on the august security patch before google for the s8 though.

a security patch from google is fixes that google believe need implenting.

the same security patch from samsung has the google fixes, plus the samsung ones

google aren't the messiah (look at the september patch they recalled or the pixel 2 xl being a hardware disaster)

it's only the google fangirls that can't seem to grasp reality

Soldato
samsung fixed blueborne on the august security patch before google for the s8 though.

a security patch from google is fixes that google believe need implenting.

the same security patch from samsung has the google fixes, plus the samsung ones

no they didnt, they are still vulnerable.

7aubtD0l.png.jpg

That's my S8 on the latest UK BTU firmware, August Patch.

Samsung may well have rolled the fixes in to an firmware update but that doesnt mean diddly squat if we dont have it yet, and i dont count fartarsing around with installing different firmwares for other countries as being 'fixed'.

google aren't the messiah (look at the september patch they recalled or the pixel 2 xl being a hardware disaster)

it's only the google fangirls that can't seem to grasp reality

I'm not sure why you would try to deflect the issue on to Google, it isn't google's fault that UK S8's are stuck on august security patchs and are still vulnerable to bluebourne; Google fixed it two months ago. If anything, that proves that moving to the security patch model works, because google can fix issues like that and roll it out very quickly without the need for full firmware updates, but it still shows that manufacturers are lagging behind because it's still up to the manufactures to implement the security patches, which is why i have Vernee Apollo sat in my draw still sitting on last July's security patch (which was before the phone was even released)

Last edited:
Associate
the blueborne scanner aps don't work hahahahahaha.

it's common knowledge they don't give correct read outs. lol

no they didnt, they are still vulnerable.

7aubtD0l.png.jpg

That's my S8 on the latest UK BTU firmware, August Patch.

Samsung may well have rolled the fixes in to an firmware update but that doesnt mean diddly squat if we dont have it yet, and i dont count fartarsing around with installing different firmwares for other countries as being 'fixed'.

I'm not sure why you would try to deflect the issue on to Google, it isn't google's fault that UK S8's are stuck on august security patchs and are still vulnerable to bluebourne; Google fixed it two months ago. If anything, that proves that moving to the security patch model works, because google can fix issues like that and roll it out very quickly without the need for full firmware updates, but it still shows that manufacturers are lagging behind because it's still up to the manufactures to implement the security patches, which is why i have Vernee Apollo sat in my draw still sitting on last July's security patch (which was before the phone was even released)

Soldato
It's common knowledge UK phones havent had the fixed firmware yet, and if samsung fixed bluebourne before google did (august), then why were sammobile reporting fixed firmwares being released for the s8/s8+ as late as the end of september in other regions?

Not really sure what your issue is but right now it's Samsung we're waiting for, not google.

Last edited:
Soldato
can't say im too fussy about security upgrades on android, i still use a jellybean galaxy s3 for cycling, for strava and navigator if i want to see a map of what direction i should head in to get home :)

screw taking a note 4 out when a s3 does the same job, never had any issues with security on android so far, and if someone trys to mug my phone ill break it since it's only a s3 and got a note 4 at home lol :)

Associate
OP
Wife has now nicked my Nokia 3 as she has given up on her Lumia 640, so I got myself the Nokia 5 instead a week ago. Today the Nokia 5 got the 7.1.2 6/11/2017 November 2017 update, pretty good to get the update pushed to the phones 10 days after it was released. Nokia 3 hasn't been updated yet, but I expect in the next week.

Soldato
Don't the monthly 'security updates' also include general OS bug patching? The October 2017 security update for Oreo fixes some of the bluetooth issues apparently..

Associate
OP
12th December and Nokia 5 gets Oreo 8.0 and 5th December 2017 security updates.

Screenshot_20171212-200848.png

Not bad for a cheap phone, well done Nokia HMD, keep up the good work.

Man of Honour
Just checked my Moto G4 and it's still on the March 2017 security patch and Android 7.0 - doesn't exactly fill me with confidence :rolleyes:
Unfortunately now that Lenovo own them you can forget any sort of timely update, one of the reasons I gave up on my perfectly good moto x force and moved back to a Google phone.

Back
Top Bottom