Do you charge your children "keep" or rent? Do/did you pay it yourself?

Soldato
i had to pay keep. i cannot remember exactly how much and when but it must have been while i was earning
i think i haggled over how much i would be paying :p but ultimately when i thought about it it was the done thing
i'll be making my son pay when/if they are earning and at home. even if i dont need the money i'd probably save it and use it to help them with the many bills life will throw at them later on.
it's all preparation for the real world

Associate
My parents back in the day of living at home charged me £200 per month once i got out of education and into a full time job, this was for bed, breakfast/evening meal/heating/lighting. I then moved out and rented for a few years before looking to buy. Low and behold the money I had paid them, they had stuck into a high intrest account and gave it back as a deposit.

Alex

Caporegime
My parents back in the day of living at home charged me £200 per month once i got out of education and into a full time job, this was for bed, breakfast/evening meal/heating/lighting. I then moved out and rented for a few years before looking to buy. Low and behold the money I had paid them, they had stuck into a high intrest account and gave it back as a deposit.

Alex
Mine just pocketed it! :D

Soldato
Mine too but i think it's fair enough.

I worked part time at Sainsbury’s when I was 16 and at college in full time education. I only worked weekends and earned around £365 a month; and my parents charged me £250 a month.

This was back in 1997, that was fun.

Totally happy with it though, as a solidly middle class lad, lucky enough to have a great upbringing and never having to go without, that £115 per month made me feel like a millionaire at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's a great idea, and only fair - if you're earning, why not contribute to the household. If your parents decide to spend it, then consider it their reward for all they put into you growing up.

If that's the stance you take, I hope your kids charge you for looking after you in your old age. Afterall that will be their reward for all they put into helping you out in your later years.

Soldato

Alex

Mine did exactly the same. Which I will also do for my kids. They will need the help a hell of a lot more in the future than I did. Fear for them a bit, so I will try to help them as much as possible.

Associate
If that's the stance you take, I hope your kids charge you for looking after you in your old age. Afterall that will be their reward for all they put into helping you out in your later years.
Not really, they will have everything (if there's anything left of course) that we own. They don't have to help but most would without the need for payment.

Soldato
I paid keep and never expected it back. My parents didn't earn much so it's the least I could do!

I also have never given a thought to inheriting anything later, they will need it for their care.

I find it odd that some would expect it back! Nice if they can afford to do that but don't expect it? Seems very entitled. Also I find it odd when people talk about inheritance, like they are waiting for their parents to die, making plans around the money they will get.

Soldato
My step-dad declared I would have to start paying rent the day I passed my last A-level. It ended up a blazing row and I walked out and didn't go back.

I guess mission accomplished from his POV.

Snap.

When I got divorced my mum and dad let me stay in their flat, full market rate, until I got my feet back on the ground. They said I would get that rent back when I moved out.

When i moved out (after about six months), they kept it all.

Nice.

Soldato
Snap.

When I got divorced my mum and dad let me stay in their flat, full market rate, until I got my feet back on the ground. They said I would get that rent back when I moved out.

When i moved out (after about six months), they kept it all.

Nice.

That's pretty bad - what were their reasons? How did that conversation go?

I wouldn't expect a free stay, but maybe a reduced rent if they could afford it, but to tell you you were getting the cash back and then backtracking is pretty low.

Last edited:
Associate
My parents always struggled financially (lost the house in the financial crisis when we were young) so all of us (5 kids) were asked to pay rent when we started working. Usually 3 of us were paying rent at any given period as there was 10 year range in our ages.

From 18 I was paying £300/m earning £1200-1500/m, then £500/month willingly once I got a better job earning more. Dad worked hard but at the wrong things and was never successful, they paid for our 2 sisters weddings but didn't help the boys at all with anything. I eventually moved out but fell severely ill when I turned 30 and had to leave work and move back home, my willing contribution over 10 years was forgotten and I was hounded for rent despite my condition. In hindsight I should've just looked out for myself and let them suffer the consequences of their dumb decisions.

Edit: forgot to mention, from my first job I had saved up about £10k and I was pressured to send it all to family abroad. This really set me back in being able to move out earlier, soured family relationships and left me angry to where I started making poor decisions myself which lead to my health condition. Cherry on top, when I went to visit that family abroad they had built a thriving business with that money and a huge house, yet I noticed they had up photos of every member of my family except mine. Is this what family is meant to be? ¬_¬

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't want to work when I was younger and paid no rent, drugs and alcohol was more important. My Dad and I fell out constantly to the point I spent 2 years living in a tent in my friends back yard.
Oh the regrets I live with daily!

Last edited:
Soldato
That's pretty bad - what were their reasons? How did that conversation go?

I wouldn't expect a free stay, but maybe a reduced rent if they could afford it, but to tell you you were getting the cash back and then backtracking is pretty low.

It was just a xxxx situation for everyone, to be fair.

My dad was seriously ill with cancer, and my mum was in bits over that. It really wasn't going to help anyone to push them on money at that point, so I just let it go.

It gets to me now as my sister has been living in their "holiday home" (which they never used, due to my dad's illness), rent-free, for 15 years...

Associate
Parents never charged me anything ever, even after I got my first job when I was 20. My father always said while you live under my roof you are my responsibility.

Associate
I only lived at home during uni holidays and before starting first job, so wasn't charged anything. I did help out with household tho.

Long time away but I'll do the same with my kids I think. If they're living at home whilst working full time (not studying) then it's different & I'll get them to pay something.

Back
Top Bottom