Do you charge your children "keep" or rent? Do/did you pay it yourself?

Soldato
I feel very fortunate and lucky. By the time I started proper work my parents had paid off the mortgage off and I was not asked to contribute while I was working and saving to try to go to uni and afterwards when I was only earning a small amount doing an apprenticeship.

After I got a real job I was asked to pay a quarter of my income which I felt was fair and cheap and in times where I had no income I did not have to pay. When I did move out some of the keep had been put aside, enough to buy some furniture and pay some of the fees when buying a new home.

Associate
If you charge rent then could this not be taxable? Where as housekeeping might not be.
I have a 24 year old and 29 year old at home one works full time and other part time. I charge nothing. I must be a mug.

Soldato
If you charge rent then could this not be taxable? Where as housekeeping might not be.
I have a 24 year old and 29 year old at home one works full time and other part time. I charge nothing. I must be a mug.

Erm, I am not an expert at this at all, but I think there is a tax free amount you can charge. It is something like £4000 a year. I think. Don't quote me on that.

Soldato
I left home as soons as I was earning so never paid any rent, but did find out the realities of how much life costs very quickly. The Mrs hung on at home till her mid 20s, one of her brothers is still living with the parents in his 40s, not working or paying anything. The plan is, assuming out daughter wants to stay at home after education, we charge her keep but put it aside to be given back in a lump sum. Might help with buying at car, deposit or wicked travelling money :cool:

Back
Top Bottom