Do you check-in baggage for short-haul/short trips?

I think I bought a ticket with check-in baggage but I know a lot of the travel pros would never dream of checking a bag if you can carry it on. What do you think? I'm not in a rush when landing there or coming home so the extra 20mins or whatever to wait for it isn't a big deal.
Never check in unless you have no choice imo..

I was flying to Geneva from the UK.

Geneva has big rain storms so the plane diverts to refuel at Basel airport, before returning to Geneva.

as soon as we land in Basel, I'm asking the cabin crew if I can leave the plane already as I'm going to Zurich

The captain comes over and asks if I have luggage in the hold, I inform him I only have a backpack under the chair.

Passengers start crying and maoning "BUT BUT WAHHHHH WAHHHHHH HE IS HOLDIJG UP THE WHOLE PLANE, HOW SELFISH"
literally braindeads with 0 IQ... who think the plane can refuel before I can walk down the stairs.....

anyway long story short I saved about 2 hours on the train travel time alone, without the extra hour or so of flying back to geneva.

don't trap yourserlf on the plane.

2F3YEGL.jpeg

about 6 other people were asking if they can get off too, as soon as they saw my escape :D

IF a plane diverts to another airport you can ask to leave, but not when your bags in the hold.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: A2Z
What a ridiculous post with bad advice, can only laugh.

So your reasoning for not checking in a bag is that there might be a 0.01% chance of your flight being diverted, and the airport it's diverted to might be closer to your final destination, I mean just LOL

And you should have never been allowed to get off the plane, the other passengers were completely right. You should have booked direct to Zurich if that's where you were going anyway. Only brain-dead people with 0 IQ would book to Geneva to then take a train.

So your reasoning for not checking in a bag is that there might be a 0.01% chance of your flight being diverted, and the airport it's diverted to might be closer to your final destination, I mean just LOL
it happens, your also saving your self the 30minutes or so at the baggage area.

And you should have never been allowed to get off the plane, the other passengers were completely right. You should have booked direct to Zurich if that's where you were going anyway. Only brain-dead people with 0 IQ would book to Geneva to then take a train.
My local airport only flies to Geneva, I didn't want to fly to landan or somewhere first, it makes sense..

:rolleyes:

Were you the middle aged woman on the plane making a scene because I was allowed off by el captain?

You should have booked direct to Zurich if that's where you were going anyway. Only brain-dead people with 0 IQ would book to Geneva to then take a train.

This is a bit harsh, no? There's a lot more factors than that, price, flights from a certain origin may not go to Zurich, seats available on flights etc etc..

Check -In - go to Airport, drop bag, security with no bag, bar with no bag, plane with no bag, immigration with no bag, wait for 5 mins (go tot toilet) collect bag leave. All the same without dragging a bag around for hours.

It does sound good when you put it like that but I need a battery pack, headphones and ipad when traveling, no way am I carrying them without a bag.

Last few times I've travelled I've taken hold luggage and it's been already on the carousel waiting before I've got through immigration. Zero hassle!

I went to Istanbul for work last week. Flew out Sunday, back Wednesday.

I took just carry on (typical small suitcase) + laptop bag. My colleague took a hold bag + laptop. His hold bag went AWOL somewhere on the leg home and it's still not turned up yet...

@Raymond Lin but they’re probably staying what 2 nights max?

But we are talking about short trips?

An weekend break and up to a week is short trips IMO. Seriously, try it. It seems like a struggle the first time but after that once you wonder why you check in your luggage in the first place. You never have to go to the carousel to wait for it (yes I know there are people who say...well, the luggage was there before I even got there!....how many times does that happen? out of 10? seriously! Sure, one time for me it arrived before I got there, but the other 9 times it never does, and half of those I have to wait at least 10 mins, 1 time I waited like 30 mins!). They don't remember or mention those 9 times!

By the time you got your luggage I could have got into a taxi/train, and arrived in my hotel at that point in the city.

I went to Dubrovnik last year with just a backpack, watching all those people pushing their massive suitcases on the cobble/stone floor and up and down those stairs...big mistake!

By the time you got your luggage I could have got into a taxi/train, and arrived in my hotel at that point in the city.
I have recently had to fly City Airport to Amsterdam a few times and at both ends I barely waited a few minutes after leaving immigration to collect my bag. It must be flight specific, short haul business flights on smaller planes are less of an issue but larger planes with more tourists (and thus bags) yeah I well imagine it has an impact. The only way anyone on my flight to Amsterdam was in the city before I'd got my bag was if they had a fast track on immigration because that was the only delay for me recently.

I have recently had to fly City Airport to Amsterdam a few times and at both ends I barely waited a few minutes after leaving immigration to collect my bag. It must be flight specific, short haul business flights on smaller planes are less of an issue but larger planes with more tourists (and thus bags) yeah I well imagine it has an impact. The only way anyone on my flight to Amsterdam was in the city before I'd got my bag was if they had a fast track on immigration because that was the only delay for me recently.

I have been the very last person to collect my bags a few times, it was before I put Airtags in them. It took so long I almost went up to the Lost and Found desk to report it.

When I went to Singapore in 2011, during the pandemic, it was an empty flight. I remember this because it was so empty, I had a choice of which row in economy I can sleep across the middle 4 seats in an Airbus 380.

When I landed I was standing around in the carousel waiting for at least 15 mins before the Airtag even popped up on the app and then another 10 mins before it showed up on the carousel. This was during the pandemic remember, less flights, like 5% full on a plane, landed at the crack of dawn.

I spent longer waiting for it than it took to get out of the airport to my car at the Long Stay car park.

Last edited:
I fly fairly regularly but have easy access to washing facilities on the other side. Regardless of the length of the stay, everything goes in a rucksack that just fits carry on size requirements, so no wheeling a bag around the airport. I manage to cram a lot of things into my laptop bag as well, no weight limit on that. I much prefer this to having to wait for luggage on either side and having to check bags in. I don't carry any liquids, just wander through security then wait for the gate to be called. Having had luggage damaged or being stuck waiting for my back to show up for an hour +, I'd rather just carry it all with me.

Flying during covid was actually a dream. Airports were almost dead, parking was cheap in the short stays as all the other car parks were closed, walking off the plane through almost silent security took hardly any time at all. I guess that was made up for by the nonsense with the apps and registering trips, vaccines, etc.

I have been the very last person to collect my bags a few times, it was before I put Airtags in them. It took so long I almost went up to the Lost and Found desk to report it.

When I went to Singapore in 2011, during the pandemic, it was an empty flight. I remember this because it was so empty, I had a choice of which row in economy I can sleep across the middle 4 seats in an Airbus 380.

When I landed I was standing around in the carousel waiting for at least 15 mins before the Airtag even popped up on the app and then another 10 mins before it showed up on the carousel. This was during the pandemic remember, less flights, like 5% full on a plane, landed at the crack of dawn.

I spent longer waiting for it than it took to get out of the airport to my car at the Long Stay car park.

You've missed one thing there... Staff or a lack of.
The pandemic led to a huge reduction of staff across aviation with people either being let go or being furloughed, so whilst there were indeed less flights with less passengers, there were a lot less staff to deal with them.

You've missed one thing there... Staff or a lack of.
The pandemic led to a huge reduction of staff across aviation with people either being let go or being furloughed, so whilst there were indeed less flights with less passengers, there were a lot less staff to deal with them.

I "missed" it, but I didn't forget. Yes there were less staff but it doesn't remove the fact that this STILL HAPPENS, and it happened before the pandemic, full staff or lower staff. Regardless of staff level, it happens all the time. So I left it out intentionally

And I have yet mentioned losing luggage...as it hasn't happened to me personally. However, one time during take off, as the plane just got to cruising altitude, the captain came on the speakers and said "your luggage didn't make it on the flight, it will be delivered in the next scheduled flight".

Well, thank god I wasn't making a connection and it was my final destination! I was on my way to shoot a wedding in Portugal so I had to check in my clothes since my camera gear were my carry on.

This was the days before Airtag, and when I went back to get my luggage, the Airline front desk had no clue....I was walking around Lisbon Airport randomly until I found mine amoungst about 20 suitcases just sitting around in the corner on arrival area...anyone could have taken it.

Last edited:
I managed to get my weeks stuff for Greenland in carry on.

It was a challenge. Because as you can imagine you need wet weather + cold weather.. But also it may be warm.

As it was a requirement to pack light out early mate me think.

I did just about have enough stuff. Usually on a holiday I'll have way to much. But in this case basically everything came back dirty.

My stuff got lost on a return leg to Norway being in the hold. No issue, I got it back and had my Samsung tag so knew where it was.
But if that had have happened on way out? Holiday would have been basically ruined as I wouldn't have had the kit for the tour.

I try for cabin luggage only now.

Back
Top Bottom