do you leave your computer switched on 24/7

Soldato
Work PCs on all the time - even across the whole business the energy saving of turning 35W HP Minis off vs inconvenience of turning them back on, and possible risk of issues happening on bootup isn't worth it.

Home PCs only on when required - with SSDs is all my PCs I don't even bother with hibernate anymore as clean boot and launching apps is plenty quick enough.
How many 35w PC's 100 or 1000?

Soldato
No. All power saving and hibernation switched off and it gets booted up when needed and shut down after use.

There is a little red light on the mobo which stays on, so some power is still being drawn, but I can't be arsed to reach down behind the machine to switch off the psu.

Soldato
https://www.pcworld.com/article/169941/Why_You_Should_Use_Sleep_Mode.html
No. All power saving and hibernation switched off and it gets booted up when needed and shut down after use.

There is a little red light on the mobo which stays on, so some power is still being drawn, but I can't be arsed to reach down behind the machine to switch off the psu.

Just press the power button for about 10 seconds and the whole thing will shut off then its dead, no need to go to the psu switch.;)

Soldato
Home PC, no, I turn it off every evening. I do, however tend to walk away and leave it as it goes to sleep after 30 minutes or so.
Work PC, yes. I leave it on all the time and just lock it and turn off the monitors before I go home. Means I can then connect to it from home at any time if needed.

Soldato
I leave my PC on 24/7 purely to prevent data loss on my hard drive. I firmly believe that starting up hard drives stressed them the most and this is when your data is most at risk.

Past experience also reinforces this. :o:(

Soldato
Just done a CrystalDisk run I have one HD that's looking a bit dodgy and its been running for over 5.5years 49000 hours. I have copied it to another HD in case anything goes wrong.

Not sure what the current pending sector count is C5 0000000002 but its all backed up.

Always back up your hard drives guys. ;)

Man of Honour

The reason given in that article:

What you probably should be doing is putting it into sleep mode. You'll save that interminable wait for your system to boot up and it won't destroy the Earth or your bank account with a dramatic change in energy usage.

Even after too much coffee, I don't regard a few seconds as an interminable wait. I turn my PC on, sit in the chair, turn my monitor on and it's already at the login screen. Even back when my boot time was almost a minute, I didn't regard that as an interminable wait. I turn things off when I'm not using them. No point wasting electricity.

When I were a lad, loading a game took 6 minutes and that was luxury! :)

Soldato
Yeah mine is on non stop. No sleep. Usually a whole ruck of updates every time I finally do get round to a restart even.

And yeah I would have the heating on non stop also if I could persuade the Mrs.

I can't imagine leaving it on idle 24/7 would use too much power would it? Especially if you closed email apps and had screens turns off after x amount of time, what else would it be doing that required much energy?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I never shut my PC down.

Only put it to sleep whenever I am not using it.

Always wondered if it uses much electricity when in sleep mode.

My main computer (laptop) runs the house lighting. Not Philips Hue but the protocol used in theatres and nightclubs - DMX. So laptop stays on and screen goes off when I'm AFK. Cheap energy bill as all of my DMX fixtures are LED and I average 5kwH per day tops.

Associate
Leaving a pc on overnight for the sake of leaving it on and no other purpose seems so stupid to me. There's no benefits to it other than saving about 8 seconds turning it on when you're about to use it.

Soldato
Laptops at home these days so yes

But work stuff stays on 24/7 serviced offices and we don't pay the bills.

Seriously tempted to setup a few mining rigs in the office see if the landlords notice the change

Back
Top Bottom