Do you power off your PC?

Permabanned
My PC gets powered off when not in use. You just using unnecessary electricity.

I have a laptop for office work use so I save electricity that way and it’s a fast charging with 8 hours battery life.

I have power plugs on my main stuff now so I can remotely turn everything off over 4G/WiFi (Tapo P100 Plugs).

Server is a Lenovo M93P and uses next to nothing on idle. This runs my docker hubs and web server as it runs live sites.

Server (to reboot remotely if needed).
TV.
Main PC.
And phone cable on timer for charging.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nearly everything gets turned off when not in use. Other than the fridge, freezer, APs, network kit and NASes.

My base load in the evenings or when we're away is 250-350W. Previously it was a lot higher. That said during the day thanks to solar I'm more frivolous than I was.

Soldato
Shut down with fast start etc turned off.

A lot of the gaming/high end CPUs seem to have issues with standby, hybernate etc I find.

Permabanned
Never, three desktop PC's here have run continuously for over a year or so, only being shutdown if there's a problem. Greta eat your heart out.... ;) Several Raspberry Pi's run 24 hours a day, seven days a week,too. Having said that I am looking at a quarterly bill here of over £1100, so there is a downside.

What a waste of money. Might as well light it on fire in a pile.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For me I dont care about boot time, but the fact my current state of my desktop is preserved.

It might take 30 seconds to boot, but it might also take 10 minutes to reopen everything back to how it was manually, the reason I was keeping the PC on 24/7 before.

My system does recover from hibernate faster than a cold boot though, it also shuts down about the same speed, probably due to using NVME nand storage, I expect hibernation benefits from it greatly.

10 minutes? What is it that you open that takes that long?

I always turn off my PC when not using, not just overnight. As mentioned by some above, it boots up fast enough.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone changed their habits with the cost of living?

Yes. Before I would always shutdown the PC. But now I also turn off the wall socket the extension runs off as it uses up around 15w on idle. Only time I leave it is if I see my QD-OLED doing its refresh cycle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. Before I would always shutdown the PC. But now I also turn off the wall socket the extension runs off as it uses up around 15w on idle. Only time I leave it is if I see my QD-OLED doing its refresh cycle.

I started doing this, turn the machine off and the switch at the wall.

When I was a kid my pc was on all the time, but that was 20+ years ago so different times…and someone else is paying the bill now :D

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom