Do you save games until you can run them at Max ?

Associate
Sometimes if I know I will be upgrading in the near future. I did save all my RTX games until I got an RTX card - the only problem is that by the time I got round to playing them I could have got them quite a bit cheaper!

Man of Honour
Not "Max" as I think this is a pointless pursuit given every game has a different set of settings ("Medium" on game X might be better looking / more demanding than "Max" on game Y). Even for given game, the definition of 'max' can vary dependent on what hardware you have (i.e. higher resolution monitors can run higher resolutions). But I have delayed playing games in the past until I have upgraded.

An example is Quake 2, I didn't buy that when it came out, I waited a few months until I bought a 3dfx card (I literally bought the graphics card, an extra 32MB RAM and the game on the same shopping trip). Control I waited until I had an RTX card.

So for me it's as much about having features available rather than max settings, i.e. if a new technology comes out that my current hardware doesn't support, then I might delay playing games that use that tech until I've upgraded.

Soldato
I think the break from it from time to time between work has helped keep it fresh.

fair enough. might revisit skyrim at some point.

I think with G-SYNC and Freesync nowadays unless you need 60fps or higher for the games, you can play them at near enough max and still enjoy the game, providing the min framerate doesn't dip too low too often.

think the key is stability, a consistent stable 30 is gonna be better than a jittery 60.

does also depend on the game, for example ksp you can get away with even single digit frames whereas that same performance in arma would render it unplayable (which it frequently does)

Associate
I've gone back and played a few old games just for fun.

I remember when Silent Hunter 5 came out, the PC I had at the time could barely run it. Great to see it at 165 fps now.

Soldato
Most games still look amazing at medium/high, no need for ultra settings in most cases. Some games are just badly optimized. Gameplay over graphics for me.

Soldato
No, I might wait if I can't run a game acceptabley sometimes but never max settings.

I waited to get really stuck into RDR2 until I got my 6800XT as before I was running low/med settings at 30fps and I knew the immersion (main reason why I like it) would be greater at max settings 60fps or high 90fps.

Permabanned
As the title suggests I have around 20 games to play due to the fact that I can't play them on max settings (currently 1080p), in my mind how they were meant to be played.. anyone else the same ?

Is it a curse or a blessing ??

I would rather drop a few settings if its a game I wanted to play.

I'm a little unsure what you mean by "currently 1080p" though? You are playing at 1080p now and you are unable to max titles? That sound like your hardware is low to mid end stuff and while theres nothing wrong with that it does suggest you will be waiting an awful long time to play a lot of games maxed out.

Associate
Always use custom setting when i play games, always have,NEVER use the pre settings like low,medium, high etc so the answer is no lol i dont wait until i can play at ultra before i play games.

Can play 98% of games at 4k 60fps with my setup at the moment, surprised actually as its not what i would call high end....my cpu is my main problem but cant be bothered to buy another mobo and cpu haha well not yet anyway :)

Associate
OP
I would rather drop a few settings if its a game I wanted to play.

I'm a little unsure what you mean by "currently 1080p" though? You are playing at 1080p now and you are unable to max titles? That sound like your hardware is low to mid end stuff and while theres nothing wrong with that it does suggest you will be waiting an awful long time to play a lot of games maxed out.

GTX970 paired with 5600x lol. 3060 Ti will be mine.. when I get it i'ma be in 1080p high texture, Full RT 60fps heaven ! May even upgrade my monitor..

Permabanned
GTX970 paired with 5600x lol. 3060 Ti will be mine.. when I get it i'ma be in 1080p high texture, Full RT 60fps heaven ! May even upgrade my monitor..

In all honestly, you need to go to 1440p at least. A 3060ti will handle that just fine and the jump in resolution will be much more noticeable that upping settings in game from medium to high or ultra.

Permabanned
Same, means (where possible) getting rid of things like depth of field, chromatic abberation, motion blur etc.

Also better to selectively drop certain settings like aa or shadows rather than lose texture resolution.

Exactly. DOF and the like serve to make things look worse IMO.

CA and motion blur look awful as well.

ne0

ne0

Associate
No, I play games maxed out 100% of the time. Otherwise I may as well play on a console, that's the way I see it.

Back
Top Bottom