Doctor Who

Man of Honour
She's something much worse than terrible. She's dull/boring :(

I think its down to the writers rather than Jodie Whittaker, I agree with you entirely, I've watched every single series of Dr Who from the very first Doctor and I find this iteration of the Doctor to be dull/boring and the least Doctor-like of them all. Not because of Jodie though, she can only play the part as written/told to...I put the blame squarely on the writers, even the best actor/actress out there struggles when dealt dross to perform. Hopefully what she is served with will improve, if it doesnt then I can see it being cancelled after season 12 and put to bed for several years.

Soldato
I thought they would go all out with the stories to make sure a female doctor would work. So far they have failed miserably, boring stories and boring acting. Only seen Jodie in Attack the Block and that was a bit crappy. Will keep on watching in the hope it gets better (hopefully in the next series)

She really needs to lose some/all of her passengers though and if need be regenerate back to a male doctor.

Oh and if they need to cancel the show, then bring back Torchwood (but not the Americanised version).

Soldato
(breaking a habit of several years) I watched some of C4 Olive&Hardy's Friday feast, because whittaker was on - she was indistinguishable from her doctor who personna,
so - as the doctor, she was just allowed to play herself to the detriment of the show - why?
or, was Doctor who (ill-advisedly) adapted/written for her personality. ... which came first the chicken or the egg.

... Capaldi in real life did not behave like the doctor , or malcolm

Soldato
They have said that none of the old baddies will be coming back in this series. I don’t know if that includes the New Year episode or not. It didn’t look very Daleky but the description did fit.
It's a special so isn't technically part of the series .so I'd says it's possible. The description in the teaser certainly made it sound like them as did Graham's question to the Doctor .

Soldato
Just watched the King James episode, my gosh what is this pap. So badly written it’s untrue. I don’t blame the actors but nothing happens for 30mins then 20mins of nonsense. If they can’t find a decent director/show runner then let it die this is embarrassing.

Soldato
Just watched the King James episode, my gosh what is this pap. So badly written it’s untrue. I don’t blame the actors but nothing happens for 30mins then 20mins of nonsense. If they can’t find a decent director/show runner then let it die this is embarrassing.
I did enjoy that episode. However I go into it looking for a bit of relatively light entertainment.

I'm not looking to much and am no writer or director so I'm not even thinking about the creation side of it. Some people these days think they are able to judge a writer or director as if they are amazing at it. Happens on so many forums and threads I visit.

If you'd do a much better job, then why are they not a script writer?

Soldato
Some people these days think they are able to judge a writer or director as if they are amazing at it.
? you may, but the rest of us do not profess to be proficient as an artist (writer/director/musician/actor) but are still able to judge their work quality.

Man of Honour
I did enjoy that episode. However I go into it looking for a bit of relatively light entertainment.

I'm not looking to much and am no writer or director so I'm not even thinking about the creation side of it. Some people these days think they are able to judge a writer or director as if they are amazing at it. Happens on so many forums and threads I visit.

If you'd do a much better job, then why are they not a script writer?

I'm not sure they are comparing writers to themselves (non writers), I think its more that they are comparing the writers to other writers.

For example, if I say that British tennis player Patrick Foley (ranked 1,847th in the world) is naff, its not because I think I can play better tennis than him , because clearly I cant, its because compared to his fellow tennis players on the world circuit, he's naff.

Part of this is of course dependent upon the genre you put Doctor Who into, if I consider it within the context of childrens entertainment, then the writing is sufficient. If however I consider it within the context of sci-fi entertainment , with it having to then stack up against the sci-fi writers behind The Expanse, Black Mirror, Stranger Things or Westworld even, then it fares much much worse.

I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that the old argument of "well you do better" , isnt always applicable because it may not be valid in terms of the criteria that the critique is based upon.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that the old argument of "well you do better" , isnt always applicable because it may not be valid in terms of the criteria that the critique is based upon.

I don’t think I have ever actually heard someone use it other than to try and rubbish someone’s opinion on a completely subjective matter.

That being said, I actually enjoyed this episode and it was easily the best of the season. More like proper doctor who. Aliens and an interesting story line.

Soldato
I think its down to the writers rather than Jodie Whittaker, I agree with you entirely, I've watched every single series of Dr Who from the very first Doctor and I find this iteration of the Doctor to be dull/boring and the least Doctor-like of them all. Not because of Jodie though, she can only play the part as written/told to...I put the blame squarely on the writers, even the best actor/actress out there struggles when dealt dross to perform. Hopefully what she is served with will improve, if it doesnt then I can see it being cancelled after season 12 and put to bed for several years.

Now I agree with you that the stories in this season have been mostly dire, and you generally work with what you're given, but it's my understanding that the persona of the Doctor is almost entirely down to the actor?
I'm 99% sure that in the past I've read that the production team say stuff like "When xxx came in for the audition and started acting, we knew we'd found our next Doctor" and so on and so forth.

So I lay the Doctor's blandness squarely on JW......... unless she's been told to act like that...... but I dunno if she has?

Soldato
You can blame Jodie for being bland, but you have to look at whoever decided she should get the job. She's a good actor, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'd make a good Doctor. Chibnall's work on Broadchurch was great, but does that mean he'd make a good writer for a science fiction show? If the final decision on who gets the part was down to Chibnall, then if he's not the best choice to be head writer for Doctor Who, is he going to make the best choice of who plays the Doctor?

In hindsight, maybe Chibnall and Jodie weren't the best choices..

Having said that; some people think Jodie is a great choice.

Caporegime
I thought they would go all out with the stories to make sure a female doctor would work. So far they have failed miserably, boring stories and boring acting. Only seen Jodie in Attack the Block and that was a bit crappy. Will keep on watching in the hope it gets better (hopefully in the next series)

She really needs to lose some/all of her passengers though and if need be regenerate back to a male doctor.

Oh and if they need to cancel the show, then bring back Torchwood (but not the Americanised version).

We can but hope.

The scripts were boring and forgettable and there was a complete lack of any real acting, charisma and gravitas from anyone at all. Quite how they could dumb down someone of Jodie Whittaker's talents and Bradley Walsh's comedic slant in one fail swoop is beyond me. With the actors they had it could have been close to the Eccleston - Piper level, instead we got Tinky-winky and La-la.

Me and the gf haven't missed an episode since the relaunch in 2005, until last night's episode. Neither of us could be bothered with this "I need a hug" Doctor and because of the points above.
I see that it'll be 2020 for the next series and have Chibnall at helm again. Here's hoping someone sensible bins it in the meanwhile.

I've already downloaded the first series of Torchwood for a re-watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
some people think Jodie is a great choice.
That would be the ~millenial women
“Doctor Who’s” eleventh season has also cracked the Top 15 cable drama list in the women 18-34 demo, with the viewership in that group doubling since Capaldi’s farewell installment.
Journalist Robin Parker tweeted: ‘More girls than boys (under-16s) watched Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who debut – 378,000 v 339,000. Last year’s series opener: 143,000 girls / 390,000 boys.’

I look back with Rose tinted glasses - in terms of a female role model for #metoo, she was her own women, not subordinated by Doctor Who, decisive, opinionated, femail, .... from the Spice Girl generation ... was Rose before her time.?

Jodie Whittaker's talents
Should I have watched/catch-up-on Broadchurch to appreciate JW's talent ?

Soldato
“Doctor Who’s” eleventh season has also cracked the Top 15 cable drama list in the women 18-34 demo, with the viewership in that group doubling since Capaldi’s farewell installment.
Journalist Robin Parker tweeted: ‘More girls than boys (under-16s) watched Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who debut – 378,000 v 339,000. Last year’s series opener: 143,000 girls / 390,000 boys.’

Wonder how many of these girls continued watching though, or did they just watch the first one so they can say "I watched it, wasn't it brilliant". :D

Man of Honour
Broadchurch was decent enough and while she's no Brando she did a good job of her role in it. She was also good in Marchlands and Cranford according to the gf.

I would have rather had Olivia Colman from Broadchurch but probably too hard to get.

IF they ever decide to go back to a male Doctor, I'd like either Kris Marshall (ginger Doctor :) ) or preferably Rory Kinnear. I recall him being linked with the role many years ago and I think he would make an awesome Doctor , plus he isnt doing much else

Although if the writing continues in the fashion it is , its maybe a moot point who the actor or actress is.

Back
Top Bottom