Doctor Who

Soldato
Ha I like what Critical Drinker said about this episode: the Doctor was really interested in the astronaut and was like 'oh yeah that's really cool' and Drinker was surprised she didn't berate his toxic masculinity (a joke, mostly). But then sure enough you find out the astronaut's gay soo whatever.. heh

Last edited:
Associate
Meh. Writing logic went downhill in second half real quick there...

Had some promise, unknown situation developing.
Then things went south:
Turns out it's alien bacteria feasting on the microplastics that "WE" Humans polluted the planet with ourselves; like there was going to be any other alternative in the first place to have reached the current world.
Then, the Alien Scientist who was so clever, suddenly took the cure, designed for Humans without checking it would work for her species. Dies as a result.
Copper decides to be a hero, yet we've all seen the Materialisation of the Tardis around someone to save them from death for a long while now, so no real drama.

Slowly reaching a point where I don't think it's worth giving this show a second chance with the current crew.

Commissario
Isn't there something in canon regarding Time Lord being made in looms? As well as the doctor being a reincarnation of Omega and one of the three founding fathers of the Time Lords.
Canon has been jumbled around and rewritten and tried to be corrected so many times I'm looking forward to how they're going to explain this. Just a shame this is possibly the only episode I've enjoyed of Jodie.
Lungbarrow from memory, the Doctor ends up back in his house on Gallifrey (which has been sealed away and largely forgotten) where his clan are stuck, and iirc it's stated that each house is only allowed X members at a time with new ones being created from a DNA mix when an existing member is registered as dead.

Soldato
Are the writers behind this actually professionals or did they just hand the job to the work experience monkey? The only redeeming feature about this absolute ******* dumpster fire is that it reminded me that the final season of Strike Back starts next week.

Soldato
Ha I like what Critical Drinker said about this episode: the Doctor was really interested in the astronaut and was like 'oh yeah that's really cool' and Drinker was surprised she didn't berate his toxic masculinity (a joke, mostly). But then sure enough you find out the astronaut's gay soo whatever.. heh

It's almost as if, when the writers were white boarding this episode they went, "Okay, to counter the OTT diversity/SJW criticism, let's cast two white alpha males in the guest list. Then (tee, hee) we'll throw a curve ball and make them a married homosexual couple..."

It would have worked just as well if it had been two brothers, father and son or just a concerned platonic friend.

Soldato
So what if they were gay? Is that a problem for you? I hardly even noticed it tbh.

Wether they were two straight male siblings, or a black father and son or any other combination you can think of. That shouldn't be the thing you are drawn to. It's just a small back ground bit of info. Unless people have problems with people that are not white straight males.

Soldato
It's like Vern said, it would have worked just as well if they were two brothers, which tells you the parts were poorly written and the reference to their marriage was just a box ticking exercise in a show FULL of box ticking. That's the issue, not them actually being gay and no their skin colour wouldnt matter either. Well written parts dont need to throw anything in your face. Ref: Taylor in Billions, for example.

You sure are sensitive to criticism of doctor woke, arent you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not at all. I just find it strange that people are so fixated on this stuff in TV shows and movies now.

I don't notice it. Diversity is around us during everyday life. So if I don't notice it walking down the street why would I be bothered about it on a TV show.?

Permabanned
Because its in your face in nearly every show and movie (pushed more then the actual supposedly primary story) just you are delusional and blind, you really think this makes society a better place today (I can say from my time on this earth its not IMO)?

Soldato
And it's not around you when you walk down the street or go to the pub or go to a football game?

How am I blind for not taking notice or offence if I am seeing people or colour or religion or LGBT and just getting on with my life or enjoying shows for what they are meant to be.

Permabanned
Same old Broken Record ZZZz :rolleyes:

I do not enjoy the shows due to they have been taken over by the PC agender, it is the story basically.

Also I am happy to say I was at the age to go out to pubs and nightclubs 20-30 years ago so seen the good times before the decline of the high street.

Also how about you take leaf out of your own book and enjoy life instead of single handedly championing yourself to stick up for a crappy tV show touché...

I am ashamed you are from the same Country as myself (yes Scotland), you obv have never seen Glasgow's nightlife in the 80-90's very early 2000's).

Last edited:
Associate
And it's not around you when you walk down the street or go to the pub or go to a football game?

How am I blind for not taking notice or offence if I am seeing people or colour or religion or LGBT and just getting on with my life or enjoying shows for what they are meant to be.
Doctor Who is meant to be a time travelling space alien yet this series demonstrates lazy, unimaginative script writing with an agenda to push.

It's getting tedious and boring.

Soldato
And another thing that really irks me about the writing, besides it being lazy and **** poor, is the fact that you have English actors portraying English characters and yet they speak using American syntax and colloquialisms.

Soldato
RANI: Would PHB or PES do?
DOCTOR: What?
RANI: I asked you a question!
DOCTOR: Did you? Mel, there's something caged in there.
RANI: Yes, I dare say. Would PHB or PES do?
DOCTOR: Eh?
RANI: As a suitable material for the machine.
DOCTOR: Oh, yes. PHB. It's biodegradable. We don't want to litter up Lakertya with non-destructible waste like they're doing on your planet, Mel.
RANI: What are you looking for?
DOCTOR: Sugar and starch. We can ferment our own.
RANI: You won't find it there. What about the alternative?
DOCTOR: PES? No, not so good. It's a petroleum based plastic.

Time and the Rani, 1987

DOCTOR: No, no, no!
BRIGADIER: But, Doctor, it's exactly your cup of tea. This fellow's bright green apparently, and dead.
DOCTOR: Lethbridge Stewart, I'm not a policeman. Neither are you, for that matter.
BRIGADIER: Ah, but there are international implications, you see. Possibility of sabotage at Global Chemicals. It's UNIT's duty to protect them. My duty.
DOCTOR: Then do your duty, Brigadier.
BRIGADIER: But, Doctor, surely you must see the
(Jo enters carrying a bag and wearing a white sheepskin trimmed coat.)
BRIGADIER: Ah, Miss Grant, I've a little job for you. I want you to
JO: I'm sorry, Brigadier, I can't.
BRIGADIER: Can't? Can I remind you, Miss Grant, that you are
JO: That I am a member of UNIT. Orders, court martials and all that. But unless you arrest me, I mean, unless you actually seize me and fling me into a dungeon, I
DOCTOR: Ah, Jo, all ready?
JO: Oh dear. Doctor, I mean it. I'm going to go to South Wales because they have got to be stopped.
BRIGADIER: Who's got to be stopped?
JO: Well, Global Chemicals, of course. Can't you see the harm this go ahead will do?
BRIGADIER: No, Miss Grant, I can't. Cheap petrol and lots of it. Exactly what the world needs.
JO: No! No, look it's time to call a halt! It's time that the world awoke to the alarm bell of pollution instead of sliding down the slippery slopes of, of, of, whatever it is.
DOCTOR: A very pretty mixed metaphor.
BRIGADIER: Yes, I seem to recognise the style. This fellow, Jones, isn't it? The Nutcake Professor, isn't that what the papers call him?
JO: That doesn't make him wrong, does it.
BRIGADIER: And you want to go down there to help him in his noble fight against the windmills, down to Llanfairfach.
JO: I'm sorry, Brigadier. I'm going to go even if it means resigning from UNIT.

The Green Death, 1973.

DOCTOR: Brigadier, Brigadier! Have you brought me two hundred and seventy million miles just to sort out a little trouble at sea?
BRIGADIER: Three serious disasters, Doctor!
DOCTOR: When I left the psionic beam with you, Brigadier, I said it was only to be used in an emergency.
BRIGADIER: This is an emergency.
DOCTOR: Oil an emergency? Huh! It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realised that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense. Now, the energising of hydrogen ...

Terror of the Zygons, 1975

Doctor Who’s interest in topical environmental issues is just about as old as the show itself. It really is nothing new.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
It’s just constant with Doctor Who. You can say that diversity is all around us and this is normal but we don’t have this complaint about almost any other show. Most shows deal with it in an everyday way. Doctor who shoehorns it in.

It would be nice if they cast people who could actually act as well. The American girl in this latest episode was beyond awful, made the actor playing Ryan seem OK.

Soldato
Really? I have never heard it about either and I have heard it a lot about Doctor Who.
Discovery has a female as the main actress, there is a gay medic and a redheaded female who clearly has autism or something, as well as complaining that any males that are in it are weak or evil or just stupid. Heard many go on about it. Also Picard last week showed fenale Admiral and Commodore in charge. So have seen a few threads on Trek forums and YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom