Doctor Who

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why? Not salty at all, just an opinion.

There is so much good TV, why would people continue to watch something week after week that is supposedly so bad?

I mean, their viewing figures suggest they are slowly losing viewers year after year. Just takes people time to finally give up on shows they used to love. I haven't bothered with this season at all. First time since the reboot I haven't watched it.

Suggesting its cool to hate Doctor Who doesn't make a lot of sense either. I don't think Doctor Who has been cool at any point in the last decade. Its always been looked down on by people who don't watch it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The problem i'm having with Flux is its like they are trying to throw everything thats ever worked in the past at these episodes to try and make them good, its like some kind of "best hits of Doctor Who" montage.
Not working for me :(

This is just a modern thing. People go nuts for things they have seen in the past. They love nostalgia and they love pop culture references. Computer games are constantly doing crossovers in things like Fortnite. The new Spiderman film is basically just bringing back old villains. Marvel trades heavily on easter eggs and in jokes.

Its just an easy way to try and garner favour with fans and it usually works. Its lazy but it works.

Soldato

Because to have such an opinion would require you to ignore everything people are telling you about why they aren't happy with Dr.Who. that presents a problem - either you're ignorant to their reasoning or your salty because they don't agree with you and so write it off to being 'cool to hate'

There is so much good TV, why would people continue to watch something week after week that is supposedly so bad?

Just so you can dismiss their opinions on the basis that they haven't watched it instead, you mean?

Constant threats of dumping the show, but the same people are still here :)

Much like the walking dead and discovery threads.

People want it to be good. They still watch in the hopes that might actually happen. Well, not everybody, I did dump it after The Timeless Children. Who, and the TV licence. So go ahead, tell me im 'hating coz it's cool' lol.

Soldato
Peter Capaldi - amazing actor, but rubbish scripts.

JW - rubbish scripts and crap actress in Doctor Who.

I have not enjoyed Doctor Who for some time now, but i do think Flux has been very good and JW is doing a good job.

Doctor Who HAS been cool, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith - some of the best episodes i've seen and i'ven been watching since Baker. It's a kids show at the end of the day, so i'm just enjoying the ride.

Soldato
This is just a modern thing. People go nuts for things they have seen in the past. They love nostalgia and they love pop culture references. Computer games are constantly doing crossovers in things like Fortnite.
it's barely nostalgia here , it's cannibalisation of past successes with no reverence shown, shame on whiittaker for participating ...
wonder if the fans are showing their support by her social media, has to be a point where it tarnishes her future prospects, pantomime's(& usa market?) excepted.

Soldato

I have not enjoyed Doctor Who for some time now, but i do think Flux has been very good and JW is doing a good job.

Doctor Who HAS been cool, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith - some of the best episodes i've seen and i'ven been watching since Baker. It's a kids show at the end of the day, so i'm just enjoying the ride.

The reboot with Eccleston and the following performances and writing with Tennant and Smith were excellent. You just know the writing was **** when an actor of Capaldi’s talent couldn’t make it watchable.

Soldato

It's never been a kids show. It's a family show.

Soldato
It's never been a kids show. It's a family show.

Lol and that's all you picked out? OK, yes it's a family show, but was aimed at kids as it was a pg - originally there were no Aliens and it was about history.

Mum's and dad's were pleased it was educational and something they could watch with their kids.

Soldato
Has anyone stuck with this?
Does 'the bloody flux' continue running out of the backside of the screen?

-edit
changed a word, as the filter missed it

Last edited:
Soldato
Just enjoy the drama, er, I mean the tension, don't try to think about the plot because I'm not sure there is one. Visually entertaining if nothing else and if you disengage your brain, which you should because its certainly not needed here.

During the Tennant / Smith run the story lines were much better often building suspense and tension. It all went down hill after that.

Soldato

Constant threats of dumping the show, but the same people are still here :)

Much like the walking dead and discovery threads.

Because others in the household enjoy it and complain if it's not watched immediately, to which the others then immediately jump on social media on their mobiles bairly glimpsing at the screen for the 50 odd minutes it's on. But alas it has to be on.

Yes I'm salty. :p and want to continue watching Fargo on Netflix.

Associate
I'll be honest, I didn't even realise Doctor Who was back on and now it's over again for this "season". And... yeah, the writing remains so poor.

1. It takes more previously establised canon and content, then does a Last Jedi and throws them out the window. Nothing behaves as you expect them to.
2, Copying Star Trek Picard, and did a Copy-Paste job on the ships. Like, ALL of them. Anyone remember Pandorica opens? With just one scene with Matt and a whole slew of different ships in the sky? Gone is that, replaced by cheap ctrl-v instead. pfeh.
3. Doesn't know what it is. Comedy (bordering slapstick) in some scenes, changing to serious the next, then jumping right back into comedy. There was suitable funny mixed in with serious in the old Nu-Who, not like it was here this "season".
4. Plot convenience for convenience, not because it was written well. (Someone dying trying to save someone else, when you had all the time in the world to actually get out of there, now THAT was silly).
5. Writing of self gratification; many in the cast being given lines about how they like this regeneration, etc. It wasn't necessary after the first two times it happens this series, but it happened a bit too many times - to the point that it's bordering narcisism really.

There's more, but yeah, not even going to bother, those who like how it's gone will like it. But those who watched the better years, will know nothing has changed.

Soldato
Not watched Jodie's Doctor since about 4th episode of her first season. Crap writing. We've got no broadband at moment so kids are stuck on live TV. Imagine the whinging! Any way first 2 episodes of Matt Smith run were on W this weekend. Kids loved it. I have to admit Matt Smith was a pretty good doctor and whilst too many episodes were solved by the power of hugs kisses and warm thoughts there were some real crackers too.

Caporegime
Not watched Jodie's Doctor since about 4th episode of her first season. Crap writing. We've got no broadband at moment so kids are stuck on live TV. Imagine the whinging! Any way first 2 episodes of Matt Smith run were on W this weekend. Kids loved it. I have to admit Matt Smith was a pretty good doctor and whilst too many episodes were solved by the power of hugs kisses and warm thoughts there were some real crackers too.

Matt Smith and his stories ended up being my favourite DW. I thought David Tennant was brilliant and nobody would be able to take over from him and took me a few episodes to warm to Matt Smith.

Those were the glory days of DW imo.

Associate
in the trailer, they seem to be caught in a time loop, so i'm guessing these Daleks were not able to get to the end of the universe that didn't happen because the Dr ended up saving the remains of the universe

Back
Top Bottom