Doctor Who

Man of Honour
I watched a few of the first Jodie Whittaker episodes. Then binned it realising how carp it was going to be. I've not bothered since.

It's a shame because despite Tom Baker and K9 being my real childhood Doctor era, I found a lot of the recent Doctors actually quite good, particularly liking Ecceston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi even if the writing started to fall off a cliff at the end. The writing was shocking in the Capaldi era but he was a strong enough actor and strong enough Doctor to still make some episodes worth watching. Whittaker isn't and it's now a poisoned chalice for whoever takes it on.

I've noticed that Doctor Who seems to go in cycles, becoming progressively worse. I think New Who seems to have reached the equivalent of the Classic Who era of Sylvesta McCoy. Maybe it just needs a break and then a revival as New New Who.

Soldato
It's a shame because despite Tom Baker and K9 being my real childhood Doctor era, I found a lot of the recent Doctors actually quite good, particularly liking Ecceston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi even if the writing started to fall off a cliff at the end. The writing was shocking in the Capaldi era but he was a strong enough actor and strong enough Doctor to still make some episodes worth watching. Whittaker isn't and it's now a poisoned chalice for whoever takes it on.

This pretty much sums up my opinion on the show too. It's a shame Capaldi had to deal with such atrocious scripts. Whittaker is just all kinds of crap as The Doctor, and the script writing has never been worse ...

Soldato
Does seem odd netflix has never tried to attack this market segment with a similar show - is that because they could break a copyright. ? .. I'm part of a ready market.
Maybe BBC just needs to realise they don't have pockets to successfully finance it any more - Quantum Leap, despite being American produced was a worldwide success, so the Americans can succeed.

Caporegime
Does seem odd netflix has never tried to attack this market segment with a similar show - is that because they could break a copyright. ? .. I'm part of a ready market.
Maybe BBC just needs to realise they don't have pockets to successfully finance it any more - Quantum Leap, despite being American produced was a worldwide success, so the Americans can succeed.
timeless kinda similar but not netflix and no aliens. it's a lot like the doctor who episodes where they go back in time on earth though. without the woke...

Soldato

They have. It's production has been effectively hived out to Bad Wolf (Russell T. Davies production company), which was just bought by Sony.

Soldato
Only one more special to go. Well have the regeneration in the next episode

I thought they were not going to show her regen? Skip forward a bit, pretend it didn't happen with perhaps some eventual look back at how much ******** the entire era was.
Didn't they already introduce a female as the original doctor, before the doctor existed or some such ***** in this version?

Soldato
Well the trailer shows her starting to regenerate. So it's either a fake out, the episode will end mid regeneration or we'll see a couple of mins at the end of the episode of the new Doctor.

Soldato
I don't know - in the same way the n word has been taken back by those of African ethnicity, using white man as a stand in for non-woke normal character sounds like an appropriate phrase - that's what I read it as;
movie/tv reviews as well as age certification should maybe have a diversity attribute.

Soldato
The Easter Special was a pretty dire effort, even by current Dr Who standards.

All the usual wokeishness present, didn't expect anything different; Jodie running round like she's on stims; but what really ruined it for me was the look of the Sea Devils. They looked like something from a Disney or Pixar movie, not in the least bit scary. I mean it's years probably decades since watching them in the Pertwee era, but the 70's SFX were actually more convincing and menacing. If the Beeb can't get the show back to at least how it was in the Tennant/Smith tenure, then they really should just call it a day.

Soldato

Annnnnnd that's me finally done with the show :(

Please let me know if this decent, but it seems that this is a another tick box actor rather than the best person for the job. Don't get me wrong Ncuti Gatwa is fantastic in Sex Education and is a very good actor. However, there were many people that would be better as the new Doctor :(

Back
Top Bottom