Doctor Who

Soldato
So weird lol
My only issue is the singing voice, why not make it more gobliny like the others. Don't think it fits with the scene.
Also the sonic "screwdriver" just looks stupid it's a tv remote.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not much of a Dr Who fan, really, but David Tennant always seemed to fit the role quite well. I think all too often, the BBC chooses actors based on their appeal to children or because they are suitably woke, and the appeal to adults ends up pretty low, but Tennant was a good compromise. For some reason, the stories seemed better when he was the doctor as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
well i really enjoyed that one. Apart from the daft split in two thing and how that will be handled going forward. Even the "do you come in all shapes and colours" line was fine because it fitted in with the character and wasnt just clearly shoehorned in for "the message". The new doctor seems ok if a little hyper. It would be nice to get back to the pertwee / baker days of a little more thoughtfull attitude. But anyway, good finish to it.
Its interesting because over the years the Pertwee version has actually gone up greatly in my estimation, possibly exactly due to that "hyper" nature that you mention, at the time the Pertwee version didnt resonant quite so well with me but after so many hyper/OTT Doctors of recent incarnations I've really come to appreciate the Pertwee version so much more, I actually put that version 2nd only to Baker in my ratings now

Soldato
Its interesting because over the years the Pertwee version has actually gone up greatly in my estimation, possibly exactly due to that "hyper" nature that you mention, at the time the Pertwee version didnt resonant quite so well with me but after so many hyper/OTT Doctors of recent incarnations I've really come to appreciate the Pertwee version so much more, I actually put that version 2nd only to Baker in my ratings now
I'm the same. Pertwee was always my least favourite and would always avoid watching. But now I really enjoy them.

Associate
I'm the same. Pertwee was always my least favourite and would always avoid watching. But now I really enjoy them.

its just a difference in era's. Back in those days the Dr was someone to look up to, a "father figure". The modern iteration is played as the viewers mate. Nothing wrong with that but could be a reason why a lot of mature viewers slate the modern versions, they just want some serious sci-fi. Interestingly, maybe, is that John Pertwee was the same age as David Tennent when he played the doctor. 52.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
its just a difference in era's. Back in those days the Dr was someone to look up to, a "father figure". The modern iteration is played as the viewers mate. Nothing wrong with that but could be a reason why a lot of mature viewers slate the modern versions, they just want some serious sci-fi. Interestingly, maybe, is that John Pertwee was the same age as David Tennent when he played the doctor. 52.
It could well be that yeah, the previous Doctors were very much like Professors, almost Quatermass like, whereas the last 4 or 5 Doctors have been more like Big Brother contestants or super-hyper ADHD sufferers constantly running everywhere and getting overexcited about everything.

Associate
It could well be that yeah, the previous Doctors were very much like Professors, almost Quatermass like, whereas the last 4 or 5 Doctors have been more like Big Brother contestants or super-hyper ADHD sufferers constantly running everywhere and getting overexcited about everything.

That's because the Doctor's are now kids entertainers/indoctrinators, not serious believable time-lords. That's also because this isn't a serious or even semi-serious Sci-Fi show any more, it's something entirely different.

Last edited:

jcr

jcr

Associate
That's because the Doctor's are now kids entertainers/indoctrinators, not serious believable time-lords. That's also because this isn't a serious or even semi-serious Sci-Fi show any more, it's something entirely different.
i think the BBC is taking the mickey out of its audience and theyre too dim to realise it.

Associate
the BBC has never done SciFi shows well, too many of the top brass look down on Sfi-Fi, it only for baby's and the simple minded

Associate
i'd disagree with that. Tripods, Day of the Triffids, Torchwood, once it found its feet with Children of Earth was some of the best sci fi. But I cant think of much recently.

Back
Top Bottom