Does everyone drop their first bike?

Associate
Bit of a weird question I suppose, but I'll give some background.

I had a 125cc scooter when I was 17 but never passed my test as I got a car instead at 18. I never dropped that bike.

Now at 24 I'm doing my CBT which I didn't have to do last time (I'm in Gibraltar so the CBT was only introduced a year ago). Once I've got this I'll be buying a bike to then do my test on and have been looking at bikes like Bandit's, hornets etc. However my mate has a CBR 600F that he'd consider selling to me as if he sold it he want's a new BMW (can't remember which exactly). I had a drive of it over the weekend and it was a dream to drive, so easy and smooth and not aggressive at all (I was kinda expecting it to be aggressive but it wasn't. It was obviously very quick, but it seemed quite linear with the throttle response etc).

The only problem is, I'm slightly worried I'll drop it? I'm not thinking about crashing it etc (as I'm obviously hoping that never happens haha). But I've seen that most people drop their first big bike? So possibly an idea to buy a cheaper bike and not have to worry as much?

Then again how much damage do you do dropping a bike usually? I have no experience at all in it, if it was a couple hundred quid then I'd possibly go for the CBR as I don't mind having a bike I really like if it will cost me a bit more. It's a 2013 CBR 600F that my friend has owned from brand new and looked after +never tracked.

Oh and if it makes a difference, I'm 6ft and around 90kg right now and pretty strong. Moving the bike around was quite easy.

Soldato
Not everyone, but it's more common i'm sure.

I dropped my bike turning into my road, wet leaves on the corner.
Also went over the bonnet of a car that pulled out in front of me.
And also slipped off braking on a wet drain.

All at the age of 16/17. Never dropped or crashed since.

:D

Damage from accidents where you slide are usually: New mirrors and lever/s required, foot pegs, scratched panel/s . It really depends on the accident but when sliding it's usually whatever sticks out of the bike the most.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its like asking how long is a piece of string :D:p

Not everyone does but quite a lot do, and it could be as simple as not being used to the weight of a bigger bike compared to a 125/scooter and dropping it in the garage.

Just get some crash bungs for the CBR and go enjoy ;)

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Nope not everyone drops their first bike, as for how much damage you do, it obviously depends on how you drop it does it not?, on a 2013 CBR you've got a lovely full fairing to grind into the tarmac if you bin it, bodywork is rarely cheap to replace these days so expect big bills, that way anything less is a pleasant surprise. ;)

Soldato
My friend dropped his 2006 (ish?) ZX6R within a few days of owning. Well, I say dropped - he got caught out by the too-long kickstand and parked it on an unhelpful camber, walked away before feeling a gust of wind and **crash**. I think he cried a bit. Cost about £500 for a replacement fairing and few other bits.

Associate
OP
Haha thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I've seen some crash bungs that fit and look reasonably nice on the bike so I might end up going for it and adding them on. I guess at the end of the day it's going to cost regardless of what bike you drop, might as well have a nice one :D haha.

Associate
OP
Its like asking how long is a piece of string :D:p

Not everyone does but quite a lot do, and it could be as simple as not being used to the weight of a bigger bike compared to a 125/scooter and dropping it in the garage.

Just get some crash bungs for the CBR and go enjoy ;)

That is the kinda thing I was thinking about haha. I had a little go on it last weekend and the weight didn't seem too bad to me. But I'll have to make sure I don't get too confident in a rush lol.

Man of Honour
I've had my '02 CBR600FS for a year now, also my first bike.

Not come close to dropping it once, but I have fitted crash bungs. There are some slight scuffs on the side fairings, so it looks like one of the previous owners has lightly dropped it.

Caporegime
Always keep it in first gear when parking up aswell,so many folks leave them in neutral and they can roll off the sidestand,another risk if dropping it is when turning/u turn ect the weight of the bike tends to pull you over if your going to slow,don't be embarrassed to stick both feet out

I've had a few moments when I've put my foot down on loose gravel n snow and its slid and almost dropped it

Soldato
Always keep it in first gear when parking up aswell,so many folks leave them in neutral and they can roll off the sidestand,another risk if dropping it is when turning/u turn ect the weight of the bike tends to pull you over if your going to slow,don't be embarrassed to stick both feet out

Which is great advice unless you have an ancient GSX1100 that didn't leave the factory with either a neutral or side stand ignition interlock. Have had to catch mine 2-3 times over the years.

Associate
OP

I've had a few moments when I've put my foot down on loose gravel n snow and its slid and almost dropped it

Do you mean keep it in first when it's parked and turned off? I know if you put it in gear with the stand down it switches off. Or did I misread?

Man of Honour
Do you mean keep it in first when it's parked and turned off? I know if you put it in gear with the stand down it switches off. Or did I misread?

Yeah either stall it in first, or just put it in first when parked. I only do this if there's any sort of incline though, if it's totally flat I still keep it in Neutral.

Associate
OP
Knowing what you can shift from the gym threads thought I don't think you will have a problem with a 600cc motorbike :p;)

Haha! I touched upon that in the op but didn't want to sound like I was bragging. When I was playing with his bike I could lean it most of the way down and pick it up reasonably easily. Then again if it slipped out I'd have the same zero chance of grabbing it like everyone else haha!

Caporegime
yeah I meant switched off and parked up,i always leave it in gear whether on the flat or an incline

best advise is to buy some crash bungs first

seen many buy them after they have dropped it and done the expensive damage

Associate
OP
yeah I meant switched off and parked up,i always leave it in gear whether on the flat or an incline

best advise is to buy some crash bungs first

seen many buy them after they have dropped it and done the expensive damage

Shame that you have to drill through the fairing to attach the bungs to the CBR though. But worth it if it saves replacing the fairing lol.

Soldato
I never dropped a bike until about my 10th bike, which was a Triumph Tiger. Parked it on a muddy carpark and lost my footing on my very first ride. Scratched the tank and broke an indicator. I was gutted!

I was convinced I would drop my GS due to the height, hence buying engine guards, but actually never have in 2.5 years of ownership.

Back
Top Bottom