Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
So have I gone overboard then?

wPv26O8.jpeg

For a 12 km hike that might take 2 or 3 hours, yes! (My retired mum takes her dog for a walk that long sometimes and doesn't need a load of gear to do it! :D) Have you stolen that photo from an American? Vermont Long Trail??? :D (Obvs if you're getting into it then no harm in buying equipment and trying it out on shorter hikes).

Some comments though - get boots (if leather boots then make sure to break them in on shorter walks first - though soft gortex ones are perfectly fine too). Trainers could be fine for a short flat hike in Surrey especially if sticking to paths etc.. but otherwise get yourself some boots with ankle support.

Get good walking socks too - Bridgedale ones are pretty good IME. Essentially good boots and good socks can make a big difference between being comfy and being a bit miserable/in pain during a hike after getting blisters or twisting an ankle etc.

Also obvs everyone uses their mobile phones/GPS these days but if you're getting into hiking then try not to be completely reliant on it - if you've not used them before in say scouts or something then practice getting an OS map and a silva compass and learn how to use them - i.e. the magnetic adjustments you need to make when taking bearings (which are given on the map) what the symbols all mean etc.

All you really need for a short 2 - 3 hour hike (aside from the basic comfortable walking clothing and boots) is a small backpack with some food & water, warm clothing, a waterproof top and (if going somewhere remote rather than say busy footpaths - maybe some basic first aid kit, bivi bag/foil blanket, torch, extra water, small stove and metal mug/teabags etc..) especially in the case where you're in hilly or mountainous areas away from trails where someone may get injured.

Last edited:
Caporegime
12km is not a lot for a hike… I often jog that..
Good socks is most important if your feet ain’t used to it. I prefer trail trainers to hiking boots, much more light weight.. terrex is my preferred brand.

Layer up rather than wearing anything big, your can put layers on or take them off as needed…

My go to list for a 12km hike on an unknown trail would be…

3/4 leggings or compression long pants
Combat shorts or pants..
Bamboo t shirt or vest..
Thin fleece
Wind breaker/waterproof jacket; in a backpack
Beanie

A lot of sports gear doubles up as hiking gear well, I often take a bikers scarf with me, doubles up as a lot…

gear wise, take a Bottle of water, a whistle and torch in case you have an emergency and a bar of nuts or something like peanut butter, banana spread in a wrap is great. More importantly take a battery pack and charging cable for your mobile.

I think I did 18km in the burning heat of turkey in sandals, shorts and Jordan vest in summer then a 10km the next day in Greece wearing all terrain trainers and just shorts.

Leggings are the way!

Caporegime
For a 12 km hike that might take 2 or 3 hours, yes! (My retired mum takes her dog for a walk that long sometimes and doesn't need a load of gear to do it! :D) Have you stolen that photo from an American? Vermont Long Trail??? :D (Obvs if you're getting into it then no harm in buying equipment and trying it out on shorter hikes).

Some comments though - get boots (if leather boots then make sure to break them in on shorter walks first - though soft gortex ones are perfectly fine too). Trainers could be fine for a short flat hike in Surrey especially if sticking to paths etc.. but otherwise get yourself some boots with ankle support.

Get good walking socks too - Bridgedale ones are pretty good IME. Essentially good boots and good socks can make a big difference between being comfy and being a bit miserable/in pain during a hike after getting blisters or twisting an ankle etc.

Also obvs everyone uses their mobile phones/GPS these days but if you're getting into hiking then try not to be completely reliant on it - if you've not used them before in say scouts or something then practice getting an OS map and a silva compass and learn how to use them - i.e. the magnetic adjustments you need to make when taking bearings (which are given on the map) what the symbols all mean etc.

All you really need for a short 2 - 3 hour hike (aside from the basic comfortable walking clothing and boots) is a small backpack with some food & water, warm clothing, a waterproof top and maybe some basic first aid kit, bivi bag/foil blanket, especially in the case where you're in hilly or mountainous areas away from trails and someone gets injured.

See I can't wear walking boots. They wreck my feet in 1-2 miles. Theirs no cushioning and they are far far too rigid.

I'm meeting more and more people who use trainers or boots. I've used trainers since forever now. It's been a game changer for me.

Caporegime
See I can't wear walking boots. They wreck my feet in 1-2 miles. Theirs no cushioning and they are far far too rigid.

I'm meeting more and more people who use trainers or boots. I've used trainers since forever now. It's been a game changer for me.

You appear to have lightweight hiking boots on in the picture you posted?

Soldato
Oh yeah I forgot about socks.
My winter thick socks are great. My summer socks?
If anyone has any recommendations? That would be great!
Have a look at running ankle socks.. they are often padded in the right areas to stop blisters. Can’t be wearing shorts and long socks.. lol

To be fair, I have a pair of all terrains that are designed to be worn without socks, they are basically a pair of socks with soles with holes in them to allow water out of them.

The main pain is stones inside the shoes but if the lock down is tight enough to stop stones from coming in.. it’s all good.

Caporegime
You appear to have lightweight hiking boots on in the picture you posted?

They are trainer boots. I wouldn't call them traditional walking boots.
I wear them in cold weather/snow.
But in spring to autumn and on non super cold days I'll be in my trainers.-
I've probably only worn what in my pic 4-5 times. As they were a purchase for my Norway trip.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those advocating leggings need to take a good long look at yourselves.

I get many looks... Many!

On a semi serious note. I find them. So much better.
They dry much quicker and you don't get that horrible sticking feeling from wet shorts/trousers.
They don't catch on so much like brambles or rock outcrops.
I find them just more comfortable really.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh for sure, that's why I said soft gortex boots (which those Hoka Trail boots are) are totally fine, or at least for most things.

They wear out quicker. But they are so good.
Gf has given up her old what I call "traditional" boots now too.
I get on well with hoka footwear. It was a tough choice between Adidas terrex and hoka.

Associate
I like going to for long walks and would even have thought that hiking was for me but after reading this thread after a couple of beers it has made me question anything I thought about the type of person I am.......

Soldato
Id use the OS Maps app over Google Maps or similar. Consider buying the map for the area you're walking in, but even the included maps are OK if you're not going anywhere too remote and can get by with a bit of common sense.

Unless I'm missing something or it depends on the area, Google Maps is just a big block of green in the rural areas I walk. It doesn't show field boundaries, footpaths etc

Last edited:
Soldato
probably everything obvious has been mentioned already but i would take a powerful flashlight even if you think you would never possibly have need for one.

Soldato

I've been a trail runner convert for years. Outside of the winter months, if I'm climbing and need crampons, I'll be wearing trainers. They're so much kinder on your feet, especially over longer distances.

Caporegime
I get many looks... Many!

On a semi serious note. I find them. So much better.
They dry much quicker and you don't get that horrible sticking feeling from wet shorts/trousers.
They don't catch on so much like brambles or rock outcrops.
I find them just more comfortable really.
absolutely.
Massively more comfortable, more practical, safer.

Back
Top Bottom