Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
Oh for sure, that's why I said soft gortex boots (which those Hoka Trail boots are) are totally fine, or at least for most things.
What 413x showed is not a hiking boot but a a trail running shoe with higher ankles for winter use

There is zero need for any actual hiking boots, whether goretex, leather or any claims of lightweight. For any hiking then trail running shoes are absolutely perfect. If you need to use crampons then you want an alpine boot, and may well use trail running shoes as an approach shoe to the climb.

The era of traditional hiking boots and wax jackets is long over

Soldato
What 413x showed is not a hiking boot but a a trail running shoe with higher ankles for winter use

There is zero need for any actual hiking boots, whether goretex, leather or any claims of lightweight. For any hiking then trail running shoes are absolutely perfect. If you need to use crampons then you want an alpine boot, and may well use trail running shoes as an approach shoe to the climb.

The era of traditional hiking boots and wax jackets is long over

I disagree. This is entirely subjective, but I prefer the ankle support of a mid boot over a shoe for walking over rougher/uneven terrain. Boots also give you that bit more waterproof protection above the ankle. I'm not saying boots are necessary, just that I prefer them and they definitely still have their place. If you prefer a shoe, that's fine too.

I have something like this - https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/19445712/salomon-men-s-onis-mid-gore-tex-hiking-boots-19445712

Soldato
I disagree. This is entirely subjective, but I prefer the ankle support of a mid boot over a shoe for walking over rougher/uneven terrain. Boots also give you that bit more waterproof protection above the ankle. I'm not saying boots are necessary, just that I prefer them and they definitely still have their place. If you prefer a shoe, that's fine too.

I have something like this - https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/19445712/salomon-men-s-onis-mid-gore-tex-hiking-boots-19445712
I prefer a boot to a shoe myself.

Soldato
I disagree. This is entirely subjective, but I prefer the ankle support of a mid boot over a shoe for walking over rougher/uneven terrain.

All about the ankle support for me too, although I did injure one quite badly years ago that always been a bit weak since and without decent ankle support it's very easy to roll it again on rougher terrain

Soldato
I'm in the trainners camp... a lot of modern "hiking boots" borrow from the trainers tech now a days, the old doc martins sytle of boots will only slow me down.

I did a trail up a mountain across pebble paths, fields, normal road pavement then in sand (on a beach) and into the sea all in the same pair of all terrain trainers and they was dry by the time I got back to the hotel. Ready for the next day.

Boots are for walking in the streets in winter, but even then I prefer jordan hi-tops.

Caporegime
I actually found the ankle support in my hokas a bit too much ideally.
That locked in feeling was too restrictive.

I am quite flexible, so not sure if that helps. But I've never found I need more support in trainers. Like said.. If anything, I find traditional boots too restrictive.

Soldato
I actually found the ankle support in my hokas a bit too much ideally.
That locked in feeling was too restrictive.

I am quite flexible, so not sure if that helps. But I've never found I need more support in trainers. Like said.. If anything, I find traditional boots too restrictive.
I've been looking for a new pair of running trainers for the gym, I've been eying the Hokas Mach but not competely sold on them yet.

being old school, it's hard for me to justify the new brands like Hokas and on air compared to the trused brands of Nike and Adidas.

Soldato
So have I gone overboard then?

wPv26O8.jpeg
You're going for a walk not a bloody arctic expedition.

That's more crap than I take winter/ice climbing, with all my ropes and gear.

Comfy shoes. Wool socks. Waterproof. Warm layer. Water. Snacks.

Caporegime

There is zero need for any actual hiking boots, whether goretex, leather or any claims of lightweight.

Eh? They're soft gortex boots used for hiking - higher ankles are what distinguishes a boot from a shoe.

If you don't believe me then click on the link in 413x's post: https://runrepeat.com/uk/hoka-trail-code-gtx
If you need a break from stiff leather boots, the Hoka Trail Code GTX is one of our top picks for plush comfort. This lightweight hiker is filled with padded goodness from the collar to the sole. But when an obstacle comes our way, the boot also shows its teeth in order to grip, support, or keep us safe from water and debris. We are amazed at how much value the boot offers at such a reasonable price.

They're the very thing you're saying there is no need for - a hiking boot that is gortex and claims to be lightweight.

100% something like that or the Hoka Trail boots 413x posted are absolutely fine IMO.

I do have some Merrell trainers though too - if going somewhere mostly on paths and trails, I've not really looked into other trainers/hiking shoes as I got Merrells years ago and just carried on buying them out of habit as they've always been pretty decent:

Last edited:
Caporegime

But the boots don't actually give you any protection of the ankle, that is the problem. Their weight and inflexible nature increases injury risk.

keeping out mud snow is a potential benefit, which is why there are running shoes with ankle cuffs. But you can also you special gaiters that are largely more effective because you can tightly seal your ankle from debris.

I have a pair of La Sportiva Cyklon - they look like a boot from the outside but are 100% just a trail running shoes with a built in gaitor, which works for prolonged expeditions in snow and 'mud

Soldato
But the boots don't actually give you any protection of the ankle, that is the problem. Their weight and inflexible nature increases injury risk.

I think that's extremely debatable and my personal experience of moving from 'low top' shoes/boots to 'high top' boots is that it has massively reduced instances of rolling my ankle on rougher paths etc. (well, probably completely stopped it, I can't remember rolling my ankle once in the high top boots)

Caporegime
Eh? They're soft gortex boots used for hiking - higher ankles are what distinguishes a boot from a shoe.

If you don't believe me then click on the link in 413x's post: https://runrepeat.com/uk/hoka-trail-code-gtx

They're the very thing you're saying there is no need for - a hiking boot that is gortex and claims to be lightweight.

100% something like that or the Hoka Trail boots 413x posted are absolutely fine IMO.

I do have some Merrell trainers though too - if going somewhere mostly on paths and trails, I've not really looked into other trainers/hiking shoes as I got Merrells years ago and just carried on buying them out of habit as they've always been pretty decent:

I like to call them trainer boots. Because when people say "walking boots" most think of the traditional rock solid "you have to break them in" heavy, protective, rigid ones.

Man of Honour
Personally I'm on "Team Boot" rather than walking shoe. It give added support around the ankle and prevents dirt and stones getting into my feet.

Don't forget some blister plasters and some vaseline for areas that rub such as thighs.

Soldato
As others have said, priotity 1 is boots/shoes. Go to a good local shop with a wide selection and knowledgeable salespeople to maximise chances of getting the best you can get.

For a flat 12k this time of year you only need about a litre of water, some snacks and a waterproof.

Mapy cz is ny map app of choice. You can just download all the openstreetmap data for the UK for free. Google maps is basically useless offroad.

Back
Top Bottom