Don't Look Up (2021)

Soldato
That's one hell of a cast. **** knows why Jonah Hill is in there though, although he does seem to get work purely on the back of being mate's with DiCaprio.

Caporegime
It's not terrible but it's overly long and satire I don't think works in a time when you have people like Boris johnson, Trump, Biden etc as leaders....

Idiocracy (2006) doesn't seem funny any more either it's all too real these days.

the movies obviously "Don't look up from your cell phone and the real world doesn't matter, phones and celebrities are everything"

that's basically how people are anyway everyone are like sheep being mind controlled, well not everyone but it certainly feels like a large proportion of the planet are.

Caporegime
yea shame... could have been armageddom /contact levels of goodness thought it might be going that way at one point.

it's almost like a self contained satire weirdness vibe.

A bunch of narcissists trying to make fun at others for being narcissist addicts like some meta joke, maybe that's why so many famous actors are in the movie.
they probably never had the thought occur to them but it's them being mocked rather than celeb culture.

it's the only thing that makes sense

wasn't dicaprio banging on about climate change or whatever whilst flying between cities in his private jet multiples times in a single day... just to attend events/parties..

he's exactly the kind of person who you could see stepping out at the end of the film.....

Great actor though, used to hate him so much when he was young...

Soldato
I thought it was pretty good, for a comedy/satire it had some good moments, took digs at both sides of the political spectrum and to be honest wasn't that far off the truth with politics and celebrities of today.

Soldato
I thought it was pretty good, for a comedy/satire it had some good moments, took digs at both sides of the political spectrum and to be honest wasn't that far off the truth with politics and celebrities of today.

I agree with that, I can see it working as a very dark satire/black comedy but as an overall film I just didn't like it. I think it would have worked as more of a Black Mirror episode type affair but even for a dark satire it just wasn't that funny in the end, I didn't "laugh" until the very last scene with Streep and a "Bird".

Man of Honour
Lasted about half of it but after the first 20-30 minutes was struggling. There was potential there but it felt like it dragged too much.

Soldato
The running gag of the general charging them for the free snacks was about the only humorous part about it.

I didn't really take it as a comedy though. More a dig at modern politics and the super rich who would rather be richer than save the planet.

Soldato
Mix of both serious and comedy, but define it how you will.

However, wouldn't surprise me if this was a real life event Peter's method would be what Elon Musk would try :D

Back
Top Bottom