Don't Look Up (2021)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Watched about 15-20 minutes and turned it off. What is up with this new trend of adults acting like children? Watching the president and her son act that way was so cringeworthy. Sure we had trump in that office for a while, but surely even he would not react that way to such news? Just turned it off after that.

Soldato
Satire is supposed to be funny, this felt more like anger trying to be funny and failing. I think something like Bill Burr's style of "angry humour" would have worked well here but the man writing, screenplaying & directing went too far into the "anger" side and not enough into the "funny" side, for me at least i.e. I didn't find the caricatures funny, they just made me annoyed at them.

However fair play to him getting such highly rated overtly political celebs (Streep/DeCaprio etc) to lampoon themselves, probably unknowing of the films true intent, in a film which can't hide the directors absolute disgust of everything those celebs stand for.

Soldato
I turned it off after a about 45 mins. I'm not sure what this film is trying to be. It started off fairly serious and then just morphed into some weird cheesy storyline aimed at morons with zero logic being applied by any of the characters.

I guess it's aimed at the average American.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Satire is supposed to be funny, this felt more like anger trying to be funny and failing. I think something like Bill Burr's style of "angry humour" would have worked well here but the man writing, screenplaying & directing went too far into the "anger" side and not enough into the "funny" side, for me at least i.e. I didn't find the caricatures funny, they just made me annoyed at them.

However fair play to him getting such highly rated overtly political celebs (Streep/DeCaprio etc) to lampoon themselves, probably unknowing of the films true intent, in a film which can't hide the directors absolute disgust of everything those celebs stand for.
+1

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I turned it off after a about 45 mins. I'm not sure what this film is trying to be. It started off fairly serious and then just morphed into some weird cheesy storyline aimed at morons with zero logic being applied by any of the characters.

Satire mate! :cry:

Associate

Shame, you missed some boob towards the end :cry:

Soldato
Wife and I watched it last night, thought it was fairly good. Some funny bits and the way it portrayed social media, normal media and the general public was pretty much spot on in my opinion. One gripe was the sound. I had it through my TV speakers but we kept on turning it down because the music was so loud. We couldn't hear what the cast were saying a lot of the time. When there was background music or incidental music it drowned out the dialogue. Ended up using subtitles.

Soldato
Really enjoyed this and it's depiction of the clown world we currently live in. Could have been braver and touched some even more ridiculous current topics but that might have been too risky.

Soldato
After the poor reviews my expectations were lowered slightly. I actually quite liked it in the end. 6/10. Not as funny as it should have been but it was a nice satire on how crazy peeps on either side of the political spectrum can choose to just ignore cold hard facts and go about their merry way inventing alternative realities (or "alternative facts" if you will). I like the way towards the end that the title made more sense. It's a movie written by someone who clearly has got sucked into too many arguments with crazy right wingers :p "Just look up! FFS!"

I didn't like Mark Rylance's character though. It was too much of a caricature and would have been more powerful if he was more normal and believable.

Back
Top Bottom