Doom - PS4 / Xbox One

Soldato
Is Doom supposed to be rock hard or am I just crap at games?

Yes I think it is a tough game. I'm playing on ultra violence and I regularly have to repeat sections several times to succeed. The key is to keep moving. Try and remember where pick ups are and do as many glory kills as you can for health pickups. If you find you are getting low on ammo, use the chainsaw on something big and it will drop a ton of ammo. Focus your attacks on the most dangerous thing but don't ignore imps. When there's a few of them they can be devastating to your health as you try and take down bigger enemies. If you see a summoner - make this your absolute priority to kill!!

I'm not sure where in the game you are but I have been playing Doom for probably 30 hours or so, perhaps more. I'm not so good at using a pad you see so I have struggled a bit. I have also spent time exploring to try and find secrets and I have been doing the rune challenges. Some sections of the game have taken me over an hour to beat because you don't take a lot of punishment on ultra violence before you die and I miss a lot because I'm crap with a pad! :p

Soldato
Completed the game on Ultra violence it was great fun! really impressed how they kept the old school feel, I will defiantly go back and complete the game again and try to get all the collectibles i missed.

I played bit of multiplayer enjoying the fast paced action but I feel they need to add more classic game modes, like CTF and TDM without demons and hacks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to get 15 mins worth on this tonight until I had to tend to our 3 week old baby. Hoping for 20 mins tomorrow lol. Loved it from what little I played of it.

Caporegime
Yup, I took it for a spin on the PS4 yesterday. I don't know whether it's because I am Sony-biased but it definitely looked better than the Xbone version. I guess it's because it can hold 1080p longer. Be interesting to see if it gets Scorpio-fied next year.

Both times I played the demo though, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to getting the full game with the different weapons and baddies.

Soldato
Is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?

I seem to have a tendancy for the gun to go up massively when I think Im just moving it horizontally, so its getting rather frustrating.

Otherwise a fun game

Soldato
Is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?

I seem to have a tendancy for the gun to go up massively when I think Im just moving it horizontally, so its getting rather frustrating.

Otherwise a fun game

Check the control settings. You can alter vertical and horizontal stick sensitivity separately to suit yur play style.

Soldato
Anyone else get crazy headaches playing this? Never happened playing anything else... :confused:

I did get eye strain and bit of headache at first then I was ok, I suggest you you play in well lit room and take a 15 mins break every hour.

You could try and play around with the FOV and motion blur if it has those options.

Last edited:
Associate
I did get eye strain and bit of headache at first then I was ok, I suggest you you play in well lit room and take a 15 mins break every hour.

You play around with the FOV and motion blur if it has those options.

Turned off the motion blur and widened the fov, totally worked! :) Thanks!

Soldato
Finally completed this tonight on ultra violence.

The last couple of checkpoints were pretty hard going! Overall, though I was a little underwhelmed by the ending :( Seemed like a bit of an anti climax after the monumental effort needed to complete it! However it sets things up nicely for a Doom 2! :D

Also, Doom has ruined almost every other game I have. I tried playing The Witcher 3 afterwards and it almost made my eyes bleed from poor FPS compared to Doom! :eek:

Soldato
Played the demo on XB1 this morning and was pleasantly surprised by how fast and fluid it was. So went out and picked it up in PS4. Downloading the patch now. Probably won't get to play it much this weekend because of all the sport but looking forward to it.

Associate
Absolutely loved the single player on PS4, have now upgraded my graphics card to a GTX 1070 though so might pick it up on PC as well if I see it for <£10. Can anyone comment whether the PC version has considerably better graphics?

Soldato
Absolutely loved the single player on PS4, have now upgraded my graphics card to a GTX 1070 though so might pick it up on PC as well if I see it for <£10. Can anyone comment whether the PC version has considerably better graphics?

In a word yes - depending on your PC and what kind of resolution you run it at. However, I think the PS4 does a respectable job of maintaining the speed and flow. I have the game on both PC and PS4 and the PC version, for me, is the better version but not by a lot as I only run at 1080p. If you are running at UHD or 4k then the difference will be more pronounced.

I bought the PS4 version first and completed it then bought the PC version as im a Doom fan and, well, felt it only right to play it on PC too!! :p

Overall, for me it wouldnt be a massive loss to only play it on the PS4, even though the PC version is better graphically. One thing that was self evident is that if you are rubbish with a pad like me, the PC version is waaaaay easier. Im easily chewing through it on ultra violence whereas on the PS4 I was getting my ass handed to me all the time. I have done the first 3 levels on PC and only died twice. At the same point on PS4 I had died countless times and the same progress had taken me 4 times as long! Lol :p

Associate
There is a demo on Steam to check for yourself.

Cheers, didn't realise there was a demo.

Downloaded it, as expected it does look better but not to the extent where I'd purchase it again without a significant discount. Played it on Ultra settings at 1080p, main differences were the improvement in shading/lighting/reflections, texture sharpness and the anti-aliasing. It looks absolutely fantastic but that doesn't take away from the fact the PS4 version (can't comment on Xbone) is extremely well optimised, smooth and in all honesty not massively different at 1080p. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good on PS4 and XB1 think.

Anyway up to mission 5. Had to lower the difficulty from hard to medium as I was getting messed up too easily. I love the level design and the secrets and the sound and the movement and, well, everything. Once you realise that you are actually the most badass thing on the planet then the aggression and violence increases ten fold and the game becomes glorious. Love it.

Caporegime
I've now got my hands on the full game. Quite enjoying it although if you ask me, the graphics were better in Doom 3! The textures and monsters just aren't as good. The pinky looks like a giant blancmange now. :(

Anyhow, that's not what I came here for. Can someone tell me how you do the different glory kills? To me it's just hitting them with RS but the game keeps telling me to do things like Death from Above and Screwtop or something without actually showing you how.

Soldato
The glory kill you do depends on what part of the body your crosshairs is on when you attack, plus the angle your attacking from. For example, to do Death From Above you need to be attacking from above. Helps if you jump up over them before you trigger it.

Takes a bit of practise at first, but its easy once you know what your doing.

Back
Top Bottom