Doom - The Dark Ages (2025)

Soldato
it look amazing, doom eternal was great but I just hated the waxy looking textures made the game a little cartoonish at times, I preferred the textures of Doom 2016 but the game play from Doom eternal. The textures on this look much much better, need to see the rest of the game but so far it look excellent and just in time for a 5090 upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks really good, but my own vision of Doom is so different to what they've done. I liked and completed 2016 overall, but didn't like jumping parts, felt out of place. Also really don't like the melee to regain health. I own Eternal but not played yet as I know some enemies are bullets sponges you have to kill in melee. The only melee I want in Doom is the chainsaw. I don't want to regain health by doing melee moves, I want to use health packs and mostly keep distance from the monsters that would be so horrifying that it reinstates the survival horror aspect and feel of the original games.

It's controversial but I prefer Doom 1 to Doom 2016, the atmosphere and sense of being on a mission is better in the original game, it just feels more dangerous, 2016 didn't scare or immerse me like parts of the original Doom did. I went back and played the originals afterwards, the atmosphere in them is so good.

My modern take on Doom would be total back to basics with maybe 10 weapons, each designed to be the best seen in any game. Horrifying enemies that aren't bullet sponges, but you get a lot more of them at once. Actual powerful feeling weapons again that will kill anything if you shoot them enough times - no stupid gimmicks, no you must run towards enemy and do a melee to actually kill them, no healing off enemies, health packs only.

A return to some shorter levels, more secrets, alternate routes, a game designed to be speedrun and replayed a lot rather than having annoying road blocks that feel like you're suddenly playing an arena shooter for 20 minutes in the middle of story based game. Visually a lot darker, use of shadows and darkness, very few bright colours and a focus on horrifying enemies that are dumber and easier to kill than Doom 2016 but attack in great hordes. I want the fear and sense of being overrun back in the Doom games, not really annoying enemies that appear or twos or threes and take ages and stupid gimmicks to kill.

Rant over, but I really do hope we get a return to the more original style of Doom someday.

Caporegime
As long as it doesn't require lots of jumping and platforming, as I really hated Doom Eternal. Looks more like another Painkiller game again :(

Man of Honour
Yeah didn't gel with Doom Eternal personally, much prefer older Doom style combat, don't mind a bit of gimmick but Eternal took it far too much into pat head while rubbing belly just to do simple things territory.

Feeling so so on this one.

Soldato
Yeah didn't gel with Doom Eternal personally, much prefer older Doom style combat, don't mind a bit of gimmick but Eternal took it far too much into pat head while rubbing belly just to do simple things territory.

Feeling so so on this one.

That is a great way to describe it and probably why I didn't get on with it.

Soldato
I don't think I played Eternal, I think it was the one before that put me off a bit....I'm too old and slow now anyway.

I agree that the trailer above does look a lot like Painkiller, that isn't really a bad thing but OG DOOM was better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Always kind of surprised how much hate Eternal gets. I thought it was great and the platforming wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make out. Maybe it did not quite have the same wow factor of Doom 2016 but that is something most sequels suffer from.

The trailer for this does look very good but do wish they would have gone with completely different enemies this time to keep it fresh. Especially considering its a prequel they had a good opportunity to set it up completely differently. Quite a few of the ones shown are basically tweaked versions of the enemies from the previous games but I guess it is just a snap shot of combat.

Soldato
Always kind of surprised how much hate Eternal gets. I thought it was great and the platforming wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make out.

I understand peoples criticism about the platforming, but I agree, I think it was blown out of proportion.
I remember people also complaining about the low ammo count and the "rock, paper, scissors" approach to enemies, which heavily emphasised weapon swapping. Which I loved!
Need health, kill something.
Need armour, kill something.
Need ammo, kill something.

My eyesight and reaction times have long since faded, from my glory days in TFC and CS. I struggled at times with Eternal on Ultra-Violence but I kept going back. I found it tough but fair.
I badly want more. Gameplay wise, I really hope Dark Ages follows in Eternals footsteps.

Soldato
I remember people also complaining about the low ammo count and the "rock, paper, scissors" approach to enemies, which heavily emphasised weapon swapping. Which I loved!
Need health, kill something.
Need armour, kill something.
Need ammo, kill something.

My eyesight and reaction times have long since faded, from my glory days in TFC and CS. I struggled at times with Eternal on Ultra-Violence but I kept going back. I found it tough but fair.
I badly want more. Gameplay wise, I really hope Dark Ages follows in Eternals footsteps.

I'm with you there! I do sometimes find as I'm getting older that the higher difficulty settings can kinda ruin the experience for me.. especially with certain games that require decent skill and or reaction times. However with Doom and Doom Eternal there is a certain joy of repeating a difficult level a bunch of times and finally getting it done. The top tier soundtrack sure helps with replayability lol!

Haven't watched any trailers yet but the soundtrack is probably the most important thing to me. For me, Mick Gordon basically is modern doom.

One of the biggest disasspointments with this is there will be no Mick Gordon soundtrack. Got to imagine it'll be Andrew Hulshult and David Levy again as with the Eternal DLCs ..which I've still not played. They are no Mick Gordon but I've heard people saying good things. Although following on from the main games already established sound track with some stuff for a few DLCs is very different task from doing a completely fresh soundtrack for a new game... so we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom