• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Soldato
Go away Sean, with your complete lack of understanding, and your sanctimonious crap. My post wasn't about them or us, my post is pointing out the very hypocrisy that you are talking about.
You aren't doing anything but playing a completely one-sided persecution card. Which completely defies the hypocrisy I was referring to.

Right now there is no reason to use Vulcan on nvidia.

Imagine if a game is designed only for Vulcan :eek: might aswell use OpenGL instead as that's a bigger market for devs.
Vulkan-only development would make a lot of sense for multiplatform development. Not necessarily console and PC, but things like mobile and PC.

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Better minimums on vulkan here but not much in it. Also a bit of a stuttery mess.

I do think the latest nvidia drivers 14/7 have given an OGL boost in doom though... can't prove it of course!

Soldato
Seems that Maxwell and Kepler cards might have some IQ issues in DOOM.

When I first did my review of the RX 480 I noticed something 'odd' when putting the GTX 970 card in straight after running the DOOM benchmarks on the RX 480. The Nvidia card looked subjectively worse, and after running some tests I now know that it looks objectively worse! The why and how can come at a later date, I just know that it is affecting NVidia cards on DOOM and it most likely isn't a VRAM issue since at 1080p the card on the 780 wasn't hitting the vram limit, nor does Kepler take advantage of the same memory compression that Maxwell uses.

Permabanned
In 3-4 years time most of the current GPUs regardless of how well they do with Vulkan, etc. or not will be pretty irrelevant unless you like playing with low to medium settings :S

For enthusiast and first world gamers sure but, there will be plenty of people running 390's 390'xs & 980's etc in 3 to 4 years time.

Associate
Better minimums on vulkan here but not much in it. Also a bit of a stuttery mess.

I do think the latest nvidia drivers 14/7 have given an OGL boost in doom though... can't prove it of course!

stutter mess with a 1080? you definitely have some issues not related to your graphics card. Either that or your card is toast.

Associate
He is using 8GB RX480 so who knows if the vram amount has anything to do with that.
I might test it myself as I got RX 480 and 980ti but so far I haven't noticed anything like that and I'm playing doom on both cards.

Soldato
Back to old times i guess ? If you can't beat competition simply murder the iq :p

Lel Nvidia Gimping... How long have we heard this though that AMD offers better IQ in games than nvidia.

Be interested if he follows this up with other games.

He is using 8GB RX480 so who knows if the vram amount has anything to do with that.
I might test it myself as I got RX 480 and 980ti but so far I haven't noticed anything like that and I'm playing doom on both cards.

I wonder if it's down to NVIDIA's compression and streaming techniques.
AMD usually isn't as strong in those areas, hence wider memory busses, and more VRAM.
Could hopefully be fixed with a driver, I also had a similar effect when I tried a 390X after a 980Ti where I could swear the AMD card had better IQ during moving scenes.

Also noted by the reviewer that both the 780 and 970 were using under or just about 3GB, so it doesn't look like much of a VRAM issue; but it might be related.

Man of Honour
I've never really seen any significant difference when loading into a new scene - on both cards I've played Doom on a reasonable amount the amount of time where you can see new textures streaming in is like less than half a second - something wrong with his setup if its several seconds while moving about (slightly different on first load).

Also with the way it works on first loading up a level from scratch different cards and architectures may not load the required textures in the same order so you may get some variation between which surfaces hit max detail first on first loading a level.

Associate
Just checked and the textures on my RX 480 are loading a lot slower but that's down to the slower hdd than what's in my gaming rig with 980ti

Permabanned
Lel Nvidia Gimping... How long have we heard this though that AMD offers better IQ in games than nvidia.

Be interested if he follows this up with other games.

I think it's just texture details popping in slower, possibly easier to avoid with more ram, Funnily enough the game Rage was terrible for it and I believe this shares some dna strands with that.

Soldato
I've never really seen any significant difference when loading into a new scene - on both cards I've played Doom on a reasonable amount the amount of time where you can see new textures streaming in is like less than half a second - something wrong with his setup if its several seconds while moving about (slightly different on first load).

Also with the way it works on first loading up a level from scratch different cards and architectures may not load the required textures in the same order so you may get some variation between which surfaces hit max detail first on first loading a level.

This, haven't noticed much differences between different cards after the initial level load up. Both AMD and Nvidia cards look great.

Associate
it could be due to async compute, knowing how the tech works, it just makes sense that texture and particles and post process etc, load faster with async, since you have compute and graphic queues being submitted simultaneously, and more frequently through multiple ACEs

Back
Top Bottom