Dragon Age: The Veilguard

Personally I feel if it is causing that much frustration with people there's an easy way to solve it

Have every role playing game with an LGBT/Pride selectable option. If you want THEM/THEY/IT pronouns then turn it on
It has that.

If you don’t want it, just pick male and he. You pick male in most games where you’re not a set character.

One extra selection (that I imagine will default to the matching pronoun for the selected gender from an ease of UX), isn’t really the end of the world is it?

I get not wanting strings attached when it's not warranted.

But this is a roleplaying game, where one of the main emphasis should be the role playing aspect of it.

Now a game like Space Marine 2, with established lore on Astartes - I could understand the annoyance at tagging these kind of things. Or a game where you are a nameless protagonist just shooting things. I also understand and agree with sterotypes being used in representation of set characters within games (like hip-hop over every black character, even if the setting is wrong - looking at you Assassin creed) being a negative thing for gaming.

I dunno, it just feels weird that people want to dunk on a game before it's even out because of some things that kind of makes sense to be in the kind of game it's trying to be.

I actually think that the character creator in Veilgaurd is probably going to be the best part of it and does seem to be well designed, but I do think that including "top surgery scars" was a poor move on Biowares behalf as it's going to be an immediate red flag for a lot of people that inherently becomes politicising and thus polarising.

You can't make a game for literally everyone, it doesn't work. You find an audience and target them, but a lot of modern games are trying to be hyper-inclusive no matter what and it turns more people off than on.

I have some damned good friends with dysmorphia, including MtF and FtM trans people, the last thing any of them want is to be reminded about those things. They want to live their lives quietly and be seen as whatever gender they feel comfortable with, and absolutely loathe the glorification and celebration of their conditions because they deem it insulting. Most of them are big into RPG's, and even do pen and paper related stuff like VTM and DnD. They don't want to play what they are, being a surgically altered version of themselves to better improve their mental health. They play as what they perceive themselves to be, aka a man or a woman depending.

While I obviously cannot speak for everyone and my take is based on relatively anecdotal evidence, I will say that I think EA/Bioware are making very bad business decisions based upon what may be a flawed perception of their potential audience.

Are there any decent preview reviews out?. I watched a few and they all start by saying they hadn’t played the original, or only played 2 onwards etc

As a fan of origins (top 3 favourite games), and hated number 2. Inquisition was meh but serviceable.

Looking for previews from people who actually played original and liked it, and how this stacks up.

It's not going to be similar to Origins, which was more catered around the CRPG mentality, it's going to be more similar to the third game, with what looks* to be a better action wheel for the CRPG elements. Story wise we can't really tell yet, I've enjoyed the story in all three of them thus far, and think the third had some content which was even better than Origins in Trespasser, but I play games for story rather than worrying about character creation, controls etc - I am pretty bad at CRPGs, so I quite like the change, I have to play D:OS/BG3 on idiot mode for example.

I think it will have a lot of the usual Bioware stuff in, lots of lore, dialog and romance. Some people dislike the new art style, I haven't seen enough of it to like or dislike it yet, but again gameplay and story is 80% of the journey for me.

So for those that are offended by the character creator..

why?

6tznfs0godya1.jpg

'What's are you concerned about the injection of jarring incoherent political themes (top scars in a land of magic losely based on a medieval aesthetic) into general life by a group of political activists who have a game plan we know involves is the subversion of society via means like changing the media?'

And more immediately these sorts of people are ruining a lot of franchises with their nonsence. Billions and billions of pounds wasted on absolute garbage between just the film and games industries because, for some reason, the money people have backed 'creators' for whom producing a product that would appeal to enough people to make the budget back was a secondary consideration after the importation of supposed, so called 'diversity', 'equity' and 'inclusion' themes regardless of whether they were congruent with the product being produced or not.

If the game was likely going to be 'good' despite/regardless of the inclusion of things like "bulge sliders" (but not for big breasts obviously because we cant have any of that), pronoun selectors, the option for 'top scars' etc then it would just be something that might involve a degree of eye rolling by some before selecting a character and just playing the game.

But the problem is that so many of these products are total hot garbage and that when developers come out before a product is released and gush about 'DIE' themes its a very good indicator that what follows won't be all that great.

Last edited:
I will say that I think EA/Bioware are making very bad business decisions based upon what may be a flawed perception of their potential audience.

But part of me thinks it's a cynical markting exercise, like Assassins Creed Shadows, to generate more publicity through rage. The old "No publicity is bad publicity" saying - all the people moaning who were planning to buy it, will buy it whether it has this option or not. However, the discussions generated across various platforms is huge, for just a very minor option that realistically means nothing to the actual game.

I'm going to be honest, even without the "top" scars, or anything in the creator, the rest of the game simply doesn't appeal to me. It looks cartoony, the characters look ugly, but mainly further watered down the grim, dark world that Dragon Age was in Origins. I tapped out after the second game, this one simply confirms that I was right to not get excited at the launch pitch ages ago.

DA was amazing, it is a massive wasted IP and I hope they entirely reboot it in a few years when they've gone back to the basics.

Last edited:
The other challenge this game has is that it’ll likely be immediately compared to baldurs gate 3 and that’s an incredibly high bar to complete with!

Time will tell I guess though I’ve enjoyed many of biowares older RPGs?

Last edited:
All I know is - I completed Origins at least twice, possibly 3 times (with Awakenings DLC)

Played the sequel demo, but didn't like it really and that's where my time with the series ended.

Eurogamer calling it the "Mass Effect 2" of the series has me intrigued though.

Character creators - I don't spend a huge amount of time on really.

^^ I've copied this quote from the comments relating to another game on a different website but boy do they hold true for some of you guys.

"There are normal people, covering a broad spectrum of ideas and opinions, and then there’s the incel clown brigade that get their ideas fed to them from ragebait YouTubers trying to make a quick buck off their stupidity."

Don't like the game (which you haven't yet played btw) because it's "woke" or "not like real life" or it "offends" your delicate sensibilities? Don't buy the game, simple. Fire up another youtube rager and get that offence boiling dudes.

LMAO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom