• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

When you talk to the general masses on a daily basis - people generally don't tend to do what you suggest or ignore advice given. That principle is no different here. There are numerous reasons why a TDR event can occur, and more often than you'd think the prime reason is system instability, memory or otherwise (that includes system memory and cache). Positive feedback is just as beneficial as negative if addressed in an informative way. Otherwise one can only assume everyone is experiencing these issues. NVIDIA told me several weeks ago they were struggling to replicate these problems on their test beds, so unless they were lying it's not as wide spread as complaints may possibly lead you to believe. I can concur with them on that as I haven't experienced load balancing issues either. Replicating faults with web based application can be cantankerous enough, can you imagine what it is like trying to find reasoning in something as complex as a display driver? A lot of web based application - some developers will roll out fixes and see how and if the problem persists, the only problem with doing it this way in something like a GPU driver is you've got an audience of whinny kids instead of for instance NHS employees or similar. Truth hurts sometimes!

My guess would be that Nvidia is aware of this exact issue, but has other priorities on its plate at the moment, such as windows 10 driver refinement and integration, so they are choosing to ignore it. Why? As you said, someone, somewhere believes this problem is not as widespread (however "widespread" is quantified in terms of %)
I am not so certain about this problem being not so widespread. As I said earlier, I have never had these TDR issues with Nvidia drivers before (unless it was my own error due to unstable overclocking for benchmarking, but that I am walking into with my eyes open when pushing the proverbial OC limits... Lol) . Even EVGA admins call these drivers a "crashfest"! Lol

I am also very curious if this is AIB specific. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
With the 353.06 (and onwards) drivers being the only one's for the 980ti is that a bit of a problem? I have a 970 and they all give me those issues and I'm back on 350.12, but have ordered a 980ti.

I hope not :(

Although hopefully those hotfixes come soon.

I really hope it's not just some hot fix. People need a new working driver, with actual fixes.

The average NVIDIA user just goes by what the latest driver is or what GeForce Experience tells them. They need to fix this for the majority.

I have moved back to 347.88 drivers as this gives the best performance from the 980 I now can run at 2k res ultra settings on bf4 at over 80 fps most the time so much better than 50 fps on medium on 1080p....Just shows how handicapped these gpus have become past the 347.88 and up.

I however still get black screens on games sometimes after an hour or more of gaming so not 100% stable drivers but better.
I just don't understand how they can keep staying silent with the amount of people suffering from this it's a clear driver issue....I hope this is not going to be a half assed hotfix which will still handicap my 980 (Only time will tell)

Last edited:
I have moved back to 347.88 drivers as this gives the best performance from the 980 I now can run at 2k res ultra settings on bf4 at over 80 fps most the time so much better than 50 fps on medium on 1080p....Just shows how handicapped these gpus have become past the 347.88 and up.

I however still get black screens on games sometimes after an hour or more of gaming so not 100% stable drivers but better.
I just don't understand how they can keep staying silent with the amount of people suffering from this it's a clear driver issue....I hope this is not going to be a half assed hotfix which will still handicap my 980 (Only time will tell)

Hi, it's not so much they're staying quiet it's just taken them quite awhile to reproduce it frequently enough. I've not been able to at all.

Hopefully the hotfix will fix it

Hi, it's not so much they're staying quiet it's just taken them quite awhile to reproduce it frequently enough. I've not been able to at all.

Hopefully the hotfix will fix it

To put this in perspective..

On the 353.06 drivers I was getting a TDR at least twice a week, with black screen crashes in games more so. When I moved to the 353.12 I was getting a TDR every 15mins and The Witcher 3 didn't last 3 hours without a black screen crash. Back to the 353.00 driver and I've had ONE TDR in a week and that was just because I had Hardware Acceleration turned on in Chrome.

Never had any TDR's previous to the 353.s

Back
Top Bottom