• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Soldato
Its definitely a power related issue in my opinion. I was having issues in Witcher 3 where it would often crash (driver crash) right after exiting the menu or inventory (ie when the cards power use goes from about 2% to 90%). Taking off the fps limiter ( setting to unlimited in the game) and setting "prefer maximum performance" in NVidia control panel for the power settings has fixed it.

I think there must be some sort of delay either in the drivers or the game that means for a millisecond of time the voltage has not increased to the correct amount for the core clock. I bet that is why crashes are happening in windows as well, something spikes the usage and the power delivery has not kept up.

I will add though that I fixed any driver crashes in internet browsers by COMPLETELY uninstalling any trace of the Nvidia drivers programs and features in Windows rather than the Nvidia installer tool. Just using the installer to overwrite the old driver seems to cause issues recently.

There is an issue with power and the drivers on some cards.

I have been having issues for months with my card (many others, noy just me) with both Elite and GTA with D3D crashes.

I have now resolved it for me by not allowing the voltage to drop below 1 volt when the card goes from hi to low to hi. I applyed that last Sunday and I have not had a crash since then.

The only way to get stability before that was to down clock the card to near reference clock speeds.

Most of those affected had factory clocked cards.

Caporegime
OP
Wonder if multi-monitor/120+Hz has any impact there as usually the 3D clocks and voltage behave a little differently due to the higher bandwidth requirements and tend to step up/down less abruptly I think - even my laptop has a 120Hz panel built in.

144hz monitor here

Caporegime
There is an issue with power and the drivers on some cards.

I have been having issues for months with my card (many others, noy just me) with both Elite and GTA with D3D crashes.

I have now resolved it for me by not allowing the voltage to drop below 1 volt when the card goes from hi to low to hi. I applyed that last Sunday and I have not had a crash since then.

The only way to get stability before that was to down clock the card to near reference clock speeds.

Most of those affected had factory clocked cards.

Indeed. I think the overclocks are stable as it will play a game all day if pegged at 99% usage but it is the adaptive power causing issues. I think the voltage regulator doesn't keep up for some reason.

Associate
A few of us using Nvidia cards have had this problem in iracing some much that we have given up with nvidia cards and gone AMD which has been the only way to resolve the problem. Between all of us we have tried different drivers, we have different cards, and all sorts of combinations of hardware changes but we have this common problem, with the same nvidia DLL file in crash reports

Caporegime
OP
Right, I've had my browser up and running with plenty of usage since 3pm (353.00), that's nearly 5 hours without a driver has stopped responding. The latest drivers would give me one every 10mins..

Now on to The Witcher 3

Soldato
Nothing I just would have thought lower would have been better, but if it works it works!

I've reinstalled PX to see if it makes any difference for the worse. Out of morbid curiosity, 352.86 has been fine thus far.

Last edited:
Associate
I had this issue on the latest drivers. Screen would go black, flash and the error would appear "drivers have stopped responding etc". Took two hours to Roll back to my 2014 drivers that came with my 970 and things are once again ok.

Thanks Nvidia

Caporegime
I had this issue on the latest drivers. Screen would go black, flash and the error would appear "drivers have stopped responding etc". Took two hours to Roll back to my 2014 drivers that came with my 970 and things are once again ok.

Thanks Nvidia

Or just use the 350.12 drivers from their website?

Don't know why you're using 970 release drivers lol.

Soldato
45 minutes of Witcher 3 and no issues with PX installed on 352.86

So far so good in the Witcher 3, running sweet as a nut with great frame rates

Mind uploading your DXdiag? Be interested to see as I can't get Witcher 3 v1.05 working with 353.06 well at all. Also noticed that no matter the driver or SLI bit used, Scaling past 2 cards is poor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeh everything was working perfectly, but in my rush to have the latest drivers I jumped for the 353.06 and 353.12 then everything went wrong. First all those driver had stopped responding problems, then the big game crash. Thought it was just my end and I saw a flood of issues on this forum and guru3D.

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY the polling rate of 5000-6000 on MSI and the 353.00's fix it

Does msi afterburner polling rate effect performance?

See this -

You can also configure the polling rate, which is the amount of time MSI Afterburner should check your hardware to gather stats. I recommend leaving the polling settings alone, if you set those values really low you might actually hurt performance while playing games because MSI Afterburner is querying devices too often.

I've set a much higher polling rate because I don't want it constantly checking/updating, plus someone else mentioned it fixed their driver stopped responding issues

Last edited:
Permabanned
I get exactly the same thing with my ati cards with the same programs open as you. It only happens with the cards at or below stock speeds, as soon as i over clock them it wont do it any more.

I think chrome is just good at crashing the graphics drivers.

I'm on a 290x and Chrome and I haven't had an issue with that for as long as I can remember, I do not overclock my cpu or gpu though.

Back
Top Bottom