• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Soldato
980 here, got this on the last two drivers, though the latest was less but the moment it happened I uninstalled them. Was getting it just on the desktop idle though thinking about it Chrome might have been open but minimised. No idea about hardware acceleration but guessing on by default.

Annoyingly happened as I was just overclocking my card, so was making me think it was the overclock! Was a head scratcher at the time :(

Rolled back to the 350.12 GTA drivers and been perfect. perfectly stable desktop and gaming without single hitch.

I caught up on the Nvidia drivers thread yesterday and saw you suggested the 352 icafe drivers Neil, I installed those yesterday and been perfect since, don't play the witcher so can't comment on performance, but definitely desktop stable so far and limited gaming.

Usually have chrome open on 2nd screen streaming something, overclocked with afterburner.

Associate
I've only had this once with my GTX 980 ACX. Originally I went to install the 353.06 drivers and it failed to install them so I did a system restart and then they installed. It later crashed Bioshock Infinite so I did a clean install (again) and it hasn't happened since. The card is running cool and it's not running an overclock right now. I'm considering reverting to a previous driver as I'm dropping frames in GTA V which wasn't happening before at all.

Edit: Hasn't happened while outside of a game, but it did on my old 770 Lightning about a week ago (that card crashed loads of games tbf).

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no CTDs at all. Everything is stable on the release driver for the 980ti including the gsync hotfix driver. But my god is witcher as the only gaming pushing high amount of temps..every other game is fine but for witcher i have to use a more aggressive fan curve to prevent it from throttling with 1400 on the core..

Soldato
On driver version 353.06, Played witcher 3, GTA 5, BF4, No crashing ever so far, Infact the last time my drivers crashed was when my 980 died and went back for its RMA :B

Associate
Using MSI Afterburner too? What OS

Windows 8.1 x64.

Don't like MSI, I've got the clocks set in a custom bios and flashed it.

I use nVidia Inspector to find stable clocks then bios mod. Sometimes have nVidia Inspector open for monitoring graphs on 2nd display.

I used to have FRAPS running for my old G19 keyboard but I'm on a K95 RGB now and don't have the keyboard screen, so I use Geforce Experience to have an ingame FPS display.

Caporegime
It aint a fix:p, especially if it's still present in the upcoming BAK driver, how are you meant to play it TWIMTBP in this driver branches current state?

It is a fix for now, Witcher 3 works fine on 350.12.

If it's still present for the new Batman and the game doesn't run well without that driver then yeah.

I see shanks is trying to get in with the snarky comments again although I've seen him in the AMD driver thread telling people to roll back drivers before lol.

Soldato
Windows 8.1 x64.

Don't like MSI, I've got the clocks set in a custom bios and flashed it.

I use nVidia Inspector to find stable clocks then bios mod. Sometimes have nVidia Inspector open for monitoring graphs on 2nd display.

I used to have FRAPS running for my old G19 keyboard but I'm on a K95 RGB now and don't have the keyboard screen, so I use Geforce Experience to have an ingame FPS display.

We're just too cool for driver crashes. :cool:

Soldato
Will just add that my system is run at stock while gaming, using desktop. (Only OC for benching)

5820K + Titan X @ Stock.

Game exit to desktop and browser freeze / lock up on every driver above 350.12.

So far 350.12 is solid, no problems.

Soldato
It is a fix for now, Witcher 3 works fine on 350.12.

If it's still present for the new Batman and the game doesn't run well without that driver then yeah.

I see shanks is trying to get in with the snarky comments again although I've seen him in the AMD driver thread telling people to roll back drivers before lol.

Bandaid is the word your looking for.

As for your shankly opinion, I'll look forward to you being so vocal against the countless 'opinions' running Nvidia in all things AMD.:)

Caporegime
Bandaid is the word your looking for.

As for your shankly opinion, I'll look forward to you being so vocal against the countless 'opinions' running Nvidia in all things AMD.:)

Nope, it's a fix. Completely gets rid of the crashes and games are still playable. Would only be a bandaid if nVidia didn't acknowledge or fix the problem.

I've already voiced my opinions on the matter, not defending nVidia at all, quite the opposite and have stated they're at fault here.

Back
Top Bottom