• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Caporegime
OP
Right I'm going to try one of the drivers that I previously had on my system that didn't crash which was the 353.00 however I am going to try the tweak mentioned by one of the MSI users and setting the monitoring to a polling rate of 4000 instead of 1000(Default)

Soldato
Nope, it's a fix. Completely gets rid of the crashes and games are still playable. Would only be a bandaid if nVidia didn't acknowledge or fix the problem.

I've already voiced my opinions on the matter, not defending nVidia at all, quite the opposite and have stated they're at fault here.

Differing opinion on what's a fix and what reduces the flow of blood:D-350 has higher stability but a far cry from getting rid of all the crashes, not to mention newer drivers have some performance gains that can't be had too.

Hopefully Nvidia get to the bottom of it and all's well in the end.:)

Soldato
Got so sick of the desktop crashes just tried using 350.12 again. The only reason I was wanting the newer drivers was for Witcher 3 to use SLI properly (2x 780Ti).

However, I've recently determined that SLI and Gsync just does not get on with Witcher 3 (yet another game!) and that it's just a nicer, smoother experience all round just on one 780Ti with hairworks off and a couple of settings a notch down (average of about 45fps, feels smooth).

However, On one card with 353.06 it was really smooth. On one card with 350.12 there is a slight pause/'hitch' about every 5 seconds when running. Totally game breaking. I give up! :mad::mad::mad:

Think I might have to sack this game for a while til this is all fixed. PC gaming sucks arse sometimes.

Soldato
I really don't understand (well I do) how these release's could have gone so wrong so quickly.

I wonder if it the desire to push out optimized drivers for games that is hastening the release without the additional beta release for RWT.

When was the last time Nvidia offered a beta driver?

Soldato
I really don't understand (well I do) how these release's could have gone so wrong so quickly.

I wonder if it the desire to push out optimized drivers for games that is hastening the release without the additional beta release for RWT.

When was the last time Nvidia offered a beta driver?

Right now. There's a hot fix driver for G-Sync Window ;)

Not tried it.

So tried numerous things but W3 really doesn't like 353.06 so I'm writing it off. Out of the huge number of times the game has crashed on this driver, there isn't a single NVIDIA Kernel event, so I can only assume it's something in the game that doesn't agree with this latest WHQL.

Soldato
Right now. There's a hot fix driver for G-Sync Window ;)

Not tried it.

So tried numerous things but W3 really doesn't like 353.06 so I'm writing it off. Out of the huge number of times the game has crashed on this driver, there isn't a single NVIDIA Kernel event, so I can only assume it's something in the game that doesn't agree with this latest WHQL.

What does it crash with?

Anybody who knows my post of late on game crashes will know where I am going with this :D

Soldato
What does it crash with?

Anybody who knows my post of late on game crashes will know where I am going with this :D

It doesn't crash with anything. The game is still responsive with audio. In fact sometimes tabbing back in solves the issue. Rarely get a game crash log either.

Normally I have to sign out of windows and sign back in, in order to force terminate the process. Game runs for hours on end with no issue on the W3 game ready driver

When I do get a game crash log on 353.06 it's usually Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0x00000000 This isn't registered in windows event logs, only in the games directory.

Caporegime
OP
So far no driver has stopped responding with multiple browser windows open using 353.00 and an MSI Afterburner polling rate of 4000-5000 ( Over 2 hours )

Man of Honour
it's quite odd how cantankerous these recent drivers are and how it varies from machine which one works better.

Yeah - so far 353.xx are perfectly stable (aside from the windowed gsync bug) on all the systems I'm using :S though I don't have any with 9xx cards currently.

EDIT: Infact they are so far the best drivers yet for my 780 unless I start getting crashing.

Caporegime
Yeah 353.06 is the first time I had a freeze in Firefox. The Game Ready driver 352.86 is perfect on my machine. I didn't even bother with the hotfix driver.

I have a feeling it might be changes they've made to power delivery for Windows 10. Be interested to know if anyone on W10 is getting any similar problems.

Just checked with my brother who's got an i5 system with 980GTX, no issues at all on 352.86, his system is completely stock (W8.1)

Its definitely a power related issue in my opinion. I was having issues in Witcher 3 where it would often crash (driver crash) right after exiting the menu or inventory (ie when the cards power use goes from about 2% to 90%). Taking off the fps limiter ( setting to unlimited in the game) and setting "prefer maximum performance" in NVidia control panel for the power settings has fixed it.

I think there must be some sort of delay either in the drivers or the game that means for a millisecond of time the voltage has not increased to the correct amount for the core clock. I bet that is why crashes are happening in windows as well, something spikes the usage and the power delivery has not kept up.

I will add though that I fixed any driver crashes in internet browsers by COMPLETELY uninstalling any trace of the Nvidia drivers programs and features in Windows rather than the Nvidia installer tool. Just using the installer to overwrite the old driver seems to cause issues recently.

Associate
I've had ''display driver has stopped responding and has been recovered'' errors on the last 2 new drivers. 350.12 or earlier drivers work absolutely flawlesly, but whenever I install the newer ones, I start getting display driver has stopped responding and has been recovered.
I have no idea why it happens, but I want the newest features to use ULMB vs G-Sync in nvidia control panel, wich obviously I can't use now due to this issue.

Man of Honour
Its definitely a power related issue in my opinion. I was having issues in Witcher 3 where it would often crash (driver crash) right after exiting the menu or inventory (ie when the cards power use goes from about 2% to 90%). Taking off the fps limiter ( setting to unlimited in the game) and setting "prefer maximum performance" in NVidia control panel for the power settings has fixed it.

I think there must be some sort of delay either in the drivers or the game that means for a millisecond of time the voltage has not increased to the correct amount for the core clock. I bet that is why crashes are happening in windows as well, something spikes the usage and the power delivery has not kept up.

I will add though that I fixed any driver crashes in internet browsers by COMPLETELY uninstalling any trace of the Nvidia drivers programs and features in Windows rather than the Nvidia installer tool. Just using the installer to overwrite the old driver seems to cause issues recently.

Wonder if multi-monitor/120+Hz has any impact there as usually the 3D clocks and voltage behave a little differently due to the higher bandwidth requirements and tend to step up/down less abruptly I think - even my laptop has a 120Hz panel built in.

Soldato

Yes I would say there are people experiencing load balancing crashes. This applies to some SLI instability also.

My Witcher 3 issue isn't related to that though I don't think. There is no driver crash to speak of

Back
Top Bottom