Drones over gatwick..

Are you saying they were not arrested?

No, because I would have used the phrase "No, they weren't", as opposed to "No they don't".An arrest holds no "record". A record is only made if charged, and there were no Charges. Therefore, once the media storm on this couple relaxes their lives might take some time to return to normal, but the criminal justice system won't care about them.

Link of them saying this ?

If that is the case it opens the door to all sorts

The police were quoted as saying they couldn't rule out that there were no drones, which obviously the media have spun and added CAPITAL letters where appropriate.

In short, there is no useful video evidence of drones over Gatwick other than some people said they saw one.

No, because I would have used the phrase "No, they weren't", as opposed to "No they don't".An arrest holds no "record". A record is only made if charged, and there were no Charges. Therefore, once the media storm on this couple relaxes their lives might take some time to return to normal, but the criminal justice system won't care about them.

Still needs to be declared to the likes of the US if going there on holiday and prevents you from making use of the ESTA/visa exemption. Possibly cause issues for them with traveling to the EU soon too.

The police were quoted as saying they couldn't rule out that there were no drones, which obviously the media have spun and added CAPITAL letters where appropriate.

In short, there is no useful video evidence of drones over Gatwick other than some people said they saw one.

Ah okay I get what you mean now. I totally agree.

I know Gatwick is massive but only the one (so called) video clip of the thing....

Pretty sure that it still shows up as Arrest/Non-Conviction.

Still needs to be declared to the likes of the US if going there on holiday and prevents you from making use of the ESTA/visa exemption. Possibly cause issues for them with traveling to the EU soon too.

This is from https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/additional-requirements/

We cannot advise whether a traveler’s specific situation will have a bearing on their eligibility to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. Our advice is that if you have ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted you apply for a visa.

No it doesn't. I was "arrested" once and have been to the US more times than I care to remember and have never declared it on any ESTA or Visa application.

I know Gatwick is massive but only the one (so called) video clip of the thing....

I heard that the video on the news and on the news websites wasn't of the drone. That it was a generic video they were using.

Apart from the people that said to the police that there was a drone, no drone was ever sighted by the police.

The ESTA question that they might fall foul to if they travel to the US would be;

2) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?

Just because it's not been published by the Daily Mail, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm guessing Gatwick airport has a fair few security cameras recording the area.

Quote from DM:

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: ‘It’s obvious the police have screwed this up big time. We think they arrested him because he’d been in trouble over his helicopters about two years ago.

‘His neighbour called police because he was flying it over the cul-de-sac. The theory is they swooped on them because of his history flying the drone.

‘But obviously the person who has really done it has done a runner in the time they’ve been interviewing Paul and Elaine.’

She added: ‘Clearly they were under lots of pressure to arrest someone, and this couple happened to live near Gatwick and owned a drone.’

So if correct the police held a record of him flying an RC helicopter near his house from 2 years prior which obviously makes him prime suspect for terrorising and shutting down a major international airport.... incompetent police logic. Scapegoats or what? What makes it so much worse is police are now admitting there may not have even been a drone, hence they had zero evidence of any crime and were just acting on hearsay but arresting and interrogating a couple for days and tarnishing their record is fine.

well on my flight back on the 22nd midday I am sure I saw a drone. But I can't say where it was or where it was going as I was looking down at it on the descent of the plane, but I am positive that I was not just seeing something. It was I belive a drone above a town moving fast. But it could have been anyones drone, and it was about 1 minute before which on the final descent we landed.

But having seen that, I believe there was something closer, whether there be any, verifiable evidence or not

Moving fast, not just because the plane was moving. This thing was travelling at a quick speed despite the plane going past it at great height compared to it

Last edited:
No it doesn't. I was "arrested" once and have been to the US more times than I care to remember and have never declared it on any ESTA or Visa application.

Yes it does, they literally ask you about any arrests - just because you got away with it doesn't change that fact.

These guys have their arrest documented in various newspapers, it will likely appear if anyone cared to google them let alone check any police records.

Yes it does, they literally ask you about any arrests - just because you got away with it doesn't change that fact.

These guys have their arrest documented in various newspapers, it will likely appear if anyone cared to google them let alone check any police records.

Its not the same arrest is not the same as being charged for offence.

I worked for the CRB for a year or so, arrest is detainment on suspicion, charge is fact of criminal act.

Its not the same arrest is not the same as being charged for offence.

I worked for the CRB for a year or so, arrest is detainment on suspicion, charge is fact of criminal act.
I don't think anyone is arguing that.
The point Bowdonuk made was that you still have to declare any arrests.
It doesn't say anything there about not having to declare the arrest if it didn't lead to a conviction.
Much like I have to declare to my car insurer when I renew if I've been involved in an accident, be it my fault or not.

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?

/Puts on Tin foil hat

Well, maybe it's a UFO and a not a drone? Maybe they saw *something* on radar they could not account for and shut everything down to try and identify it? Perhaps it was a Foreign power with advanced aircraft taunting us on Radar? Or maybe the Airport traffic controller systems were hacked by a foreign power - which may explain why recently Birmingham Airport had some problems with their traffic controller as reported here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-46668635

/End

Back
Top Bottom