Drones over gatwick..

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
I don't think this would cover the arrest of someone who was under suspicion of committing a crime that the Police don't even know actually happened or not. Also, there was no damage to any property or serious harm to another person or government authority. How the couple was treated was obviously bad, but they won't have any issue getting an ESTA.

No it doesn't. I was "arrested" once and have been to the US more times than I care to remember and have never declared it on any ESTA or Visa application.

Just because you haven't been stopped doesn't mean it isn't a thing.....

US Embassy said:

A record is only made if charged, and there were no Charges. Therefore, once the media storm on this couple relaxes their lives might take some time to return to normal, but the criminal justice system won't care about them.

I can guarantee you that if you are arrested and not charged that there is still a record held of this arrest on the police national computer.

Last edited:
It's not any arrest though, just arrests that were for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority. None of that happened here.

/Puts on Tin foil hat

Well, maybe it's a UFO and a not a drone? Maybe they saw *something* on radar they could not account for and shut everything down to try and identify it? Perhaps it was a Foreign power with advanced aircraft taunting us on Radar? Or maybe the Airport traffic controller systems were hacked by a foreign power - which may explain why recently Birmingham Airport had some problems with their traffic controller as reported here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-46668635

/End
Quite probably hacked

I don't think this would cover the arrest of someone who was under suspicion of committing a crime that the Police don't even know actually happened or not. Also, there was no damage to any property or serious harm to another person or government authority. How the couple was treated was obviously bad, but they won't have any issue getting an ESTA.

Tens of millions of financial impact counts as "serious harm" in my book. In any case, I think you'd be taking a heck of a chance trying to pass this off as "I didn't think it was worth listing" on an ESTA form that specifically asks for any arrests.

It's not any arrest though, just arrests that were for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority. None of that happened here.

Please just read the website, linked more than once now, before commenting .....

Traffic offenses
If you have a minor traffic offense which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction you may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program

I they have to talk about minor road traffic offences as being exempt and specifically say that you should apply for a visa if you have ever been arrested (non qualification given) then yes 'any' arrest does count.

Our advice is that if you have ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted you apply for a visa.

I'm sure plenty of people 'get away with it' but that doesn't mean that a highly publisiced event won't cause someone to be stopped and denied entry on a ESTA

Last edited:
And will be forgotten just as quickly.

And the police didn't release the names did they? As they always just say "A man/woman aged xx has been arrested on suspicion" it's the media who do the digging and plaster the names and that's because they know the public will click the links for the story, as everyone has to know everything immediately now,

Id bet my last penny that had the "Suspects" all been Brown and come from somewhere like Finsbury park Mosque, the Police would have been a great deal more discrete about allowing their names to be released until they were "Sure" that they had a case against them and had actually charged them (And perhaps not even then!)

Its not the same arrest is not the same as being charged for offence.

I worked for the CRB for a year or so, arrest is detainment on suspicion, charge is fact of criminal act.

I didn’t claim an arrest is the same as being charged. I’m pointing out that an arrest affects travel to America/eligibility for a visa waiver.

I hope the couple that got plastered over the Daily Fails front page sue them into the ground.

Seems we need laws now to protect the accused but not proven innocent...

Now they are backtracking on the no drone comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46670714

At least we all get to see how inept everyone is at dealing with this incident

It is starting to look like there is some degree of credible threat of a drone born attack and a single (or 1-2) reported drone sightings has set them in panic mode realising they aren't equipped or ready to deal with it and the chances of the blowback if such an attack was carried out successfully has resulted in this mess.

I saw a few days back before these events according to random sources on twitter some of the ISIS people responsible for the original drone based attacks in Syria are "in the wind" and potentially now in Europe so might be related.

Instead of releasing stupid information that makes them look like incompetent fools, why not just tell the truth?

We have a culture that immediately hangs people out to dry for the slightest misstep and doesn't understand collective responsibility - there must be a single person to blame and we must have their name so that we can howl at them.

Add to that a state that is feeling insecure about how in control it is. Police are increasingly underfunded and over-managed, the government lost a vote on self-determination jeopardizing a lot of Powers That Be and a non-establishment outsider won the US presidency. The economy is on the mend but still could be wrecked by an incoming Corbyn government. The economies of Russia and China are growing and the West finds it increasingly hard to maintain military dominance over them. Everywhere they look, they see threats. The last thing they're going to do is risk the illusion of control they still have. Because people believing in the power of the State is most of the power the State has. So yes, they lie.

I hope the couple that got plastered over the Daily Fails front page sue them into the ground.

Seems we need laws now to protect the accused but not proven innocent...

During the whole historic rape allegations that were coming out in their droves a few years back the MPS did state they would make it policy (pretty sure it never became law) that they would only name and shame once someone was charged not just arrested.

I know this is a diifferent level of crime but, if they had bailed these 2 for 6 months, they would have faced serious hate from people.

Now they are backtracking on the no drone comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46670714

At least we all get to see how inept everyone is at dealing with this incident

The headline is a little misleading tbh, definitely bordering fake news.

The suggestion there may not have been any drones at Gatwick Airport was a "miscommunication by police", a government source has told the BBC.

During a conference call between ministers, chaired by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, it was agreed the 67 drone sightings were legitimate.

So ministers sat on their ivory thrones agreed the sightings were legitimate so lets just ignore what police said, meanwhile the police still have no hard evidence besides a downed drone found nearby that could have been there for months.... Or (tinfoil hat engaged) placed there to cover up the fact the police shut down a major airport for days over unsubstantiated reports of drone activity, reports that could have been organised by the same eco-warriors that were being suspected of actually flying the now invisible drone.

Back
Top Bottom