Poll: ** DRONES: WHO HAS ONE, WHO WANTS ONE? **

Do you own or a drone or would you buy one?

• Yes I already own a drone (Post up some images/videos)

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • I am considering buying a drone

Votes: 115 37.5%
  • Drones do not interest me

Votes: 152 49.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Of course they're toys. Expensive gadgets = toys by any other name.

Like I said though, I don't care about drones or the photography they produce and you talking about your S900 with a NEX mirrorless hooked up to it isn't the same as the BBC or whoever using drones with a commerical camera for cinematography.

Do you even know what you're talking about? The BBC are one of our clients.

Soldato
Do you even know what you're talking about? The BBC are one of our clients.

One of who's clients?

What does that have to do with Rilots S900?

My point was that you can't compare people buying relatively inexpensive drones for their personal enjoyment to a company like the BBC contracting out or hiring themselves the more expensive drones and professional camera equipment to produce shots for commercial use.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of who's clients?

What does that have to do with Rilots S900?

My point was that you can't compare people buying relatively inexpensive drones for their personal enjoyment to a company like the BBC contracting out or hiring themselves the more expensive drones and professional camera equipment to produce shots for commercial use.

One of our clients. I operate an aerial imagery company.

Rilot's S900 is up for the job of most broadcast requirements. In fact I've seen more GoPro's on TV (so likely a Phantom or other small "toy" quad) than anything higher quality. The GH4 is probably one of the most used due to 4K in a small package and that can be carried by a huge number of UAVs.

And expensive tech does not automatically equal toy.

Soldato
Yeh they are not toys

I've only flown the DJI F450 with the fatshark goggles a few times, mostly line of sight, but the 250 racing quad I like to fly FPV.

I still wouldn't choose to go down the route of a prebuilt one, but that's just me personally, if something happens I would want to know how it goes back together.

Its leaning towards autumn now and the F450 I have had some good hours flying time with through its modes (atti, gps).

The 250 Quad iv also loved more because its incredibly fun to fly, fast and agile but takes some practise if you take it in to rate mode, thanks to the help of some forum members in here over the summer I have stuck some flying hours in on the 250 and tuned it in good, thats another thing, the flight controllers on the racing ones I like as you can fine tune the settings to give it that dialled in feeling in full rate mode using the Naze 32 flight controller board and cleanflight software.

The DJI F450 also has a GPS Naza V2 flight controller onboard.

My plans for this winter is to buy another cheap VTX and camera for the F450 and get FPV mounted on that so its on both, and possibly sort out a perm mobius camera mount for the DJI

Any work I do will be documented in the Multi-rotor thread on the forums. Been a bit slow recently due to work and exams

250quad.jpg

djif450.jpg

djif4502.jpg

Soldato
I got a £37 syma 5xc-1 or something. Its a great "toy" that I am not too fussed about breaking or losing (which is lucky...). It is a medium sized quadcopter (I'm not keen on calling them drones) and has cheap extra batteries and spares. Its range is pretty crap but that means I can fly in smaller spaces. It has a mediocre 720p camera which is nice for catching the crashes. It's a good introduction to quadcopter flying.

Soldato
Wow. Didn't expect so many votes for "not interested".

Well, I would advise anyone who's not going to use it commercially or wouldn't really enjoy building one to avoid. My friend wanted to get one to 'make the most' of his GoPro but I said he'd probably use it a dozen times and that's it.

Plus as soon as you stick a camera on it comes with a myriad of restrictions which voids of it a lot of imaginable uses.

Caporegime
Wow. Didn't expect so many votes for "not interested".

I'll explain my vote as i'm one of them.

The cheap ones are generally completely crap, no stabilising functions, gps etc. no fly by video, no camera at all in most cases - just not worth bothering with.

By the time I get to looking at stuff that would maintain my interest for more than a week, you're suddenly talking £500+ (or maybe a bit less if self built but needing much more time invested) and that sort of figure is just beyond 'ooh that'd be cool' sort of spending for me.

Anything that's likely to appear on the OcUK store is either going to be too crap for me to be interested, or too expensive, as much as I might want one in general.

Soldato
I had tricopter last year, but it was boring as hell to fly, so it's gathered dust since.

I'm used to flying 3d helicopters and this was far from that. I also have no interst in aerial photography.

But, with the price of fpv gear being so low these days, I decided to give a 250 racer a go. Still dead easy to fly, even in rate mode, but more interesting flying first person.

That got a few other heli pilots at the club interested and one of them just got a Kylin 250 racer which is ballistic on 4s. Other are looking to get one too, so we should be able to race soon.

Back
Top Bottom