Poll: ** DRONES: WHO HAS ONE, WHO WANTS ONE? **

Do you own or a drone or would you buy one?

• Yes I already own a drone (Post up some images/videos)

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • I am considering buying a drone

Votes: 115 37.5%
  • Drones do not interest me

Votes: 152 49.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Thre are two types of drones though. The flying/racing ones which you can have a blast with for a short period of time - I agree I would get bored with these very quickly.

Then there are the photographer ones which are designed to be easy to fly (and hence very boring to fly compared to the other drones) but take stunning pictures and video up to 4k.

Associate
Hi guys,

I own a few quads (not drones argh!) to go with my helis and planes and like a few here I only got them to try as something new.

I started with a 350qx, for me hard to get used to because it flies itself unlike a heli and difficult to just trust, but it has proven itself even when I flew out of range and it came back. The aim was to also try the goggles and FPV type of flying with some added gopro footage from high up. The 350 was struggling to lift all the gear so I soon purchased the brand new Align M480L quad which is now my stable Ariel platform.

The problem is the FPV stuff was boring flying around my local flying club and I wont dare take it over anything more interesting like in built-up areas. So just 2 weeks ago I bought a new KDS250/280 racing quad with all the video equipment built in its made it a nice plug and play affair and with it being small I can carry it easier and really chuck it about in the field.

From a keen Rc hobby point of view I think they are dangerous, they are so good at flying themselves people with no experience with buy them and at some point get into trouble and not be able to land safely hence so many stories in the press of those causing injury or disruption. But I can still see why they are so popular.

Gibbo, why do you want one? Ariel video? Fun, FPV? This will dictate what size you should be looking at then its all down to cost (I've heard you are rich?) :)

Caporegime
Problem is we wont get away from calling them drones as the definition is any remote controlled flying machine with a camera.

So drones is here to stay. Even an old couple came up to me last week and asked me if that was a drone.

Associate
I tend to take one with me to the flying club but don't use it, planes and helis are way more fun but for most you cant just buy one of those a fly it.

Too many models about to pick now, if I was looking a getting a retail one to start with maybe look at the 200qx from Elite, small enough to hover in the garden and limit damage if it hits the house. Its also got some stabilisation making it good out of the box with none of the tweaking the kit versions will need.

PS, myself and the wife where not ready for the Align M480L's size when I opened the box last Christmas. A Gopro on a gimbal looks tiny but does the job very well for me.

Caporegime
My next door neighbour sunbathing nude can be seen from my window, until she moves, the windows get bricked up or my missus walks in on me one day. Then I have no need of a drone.

;)

Fixed...

:p

As for myself, it's the sort of thing I'd love to have a play around with for an hour or two but that's about all. I'm referring to a drone and in no way related to the comment above!

Permabanned
The quicker these things are banned the better it is for all of us. I can imagine someone flying a suicide drone into a football stadium and remote detonating it killing Wayne Rooney.

Man of Honour
Didn't he also get £600 in costs plus a 2 yeast ban on owning or flying drones?

Yes he did:

Wilson was also forced to forfeit his drone equipment and handed two crime prevention orders banning him from purchasing, borrowing or using for any purpose a drone or encouraging anyone else to do so. He must also pay £600 costs and a £20 surcharge

Those banning orders are for two years.

Man of Honour
The quicker these things are banned the better it is for all of us. I can imagine someone flying a suicide drone into a football stadium and remote detonating it killing Wayne Rooney.

I dread to think about what would happen if Yodel started using them for deliveries here in London.

Soldato
Have been flying RC plan for about the last 15 years or so. The whole multirotor / drone thing seem to have mostly passed me by so far, I did buy a little Hubsan X4 but that is more of a toy.

I have been tempted a few times to get a quad copter but I would go down the route of building one myself to keep the costs down.

Don
No interest here. I don't think the photography they produce is that great either. Seems like another toy people will get bored of in a few years.

Nearly every piece of aerial footage you see on the BBC is shot from an S900 with a Panasonic GH4. Big budget films are flying SkyJibs with Arris or Red Epics hanging underneath.
Are you really saying that every film producer, TV producer, and director who uses them is wrong and that their footage is poor?

What a bizarre comment.

Associate
I 100% want one but I want one I can mount my own DSLR on it and I;m not sure what my options are ? Can someone advise me on this as I believe the built in 4k Cameras are rubbish on the Drones or am I mistaken ?

I want to make creative videos from the skys of my home town and landmarks - national trusts ect in my area if its ok to do so . With taken photos from the air the creative photos and videos are endless , I like the idea of getting one to use are weddings next year so I can get the massive family group shot from the skys and get everyone to wave , people pay to see different

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think there will be much interest from the pre-built ones.

To be honest I am not a fan of just taking up the hobby without learning how to fly one, how to build it, how to set-up, tune tx/rx etc, safety etc.

I'v got a DJI F450 that I built myself, and a 250 racing quad with FPV Fat-shark Predator V2 goggles, both built by myself so I know exactly how it all works and goes together

Depending on money I am planning on building another 250 racing quad, they are so fun to fly! especially with FPV and a 1080p recording mobius camera, its like the jets of the multi rotor world, fast, daring and you can do some crazy things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nearly every piece of aerial footage you see on the BBC is shot from an S900 with a Panasonic GH4. Big budget films are flying SkyJibs with Arris or Red Epics hanging underneath.
Are you really saying that every film producer, TV producer, and director who uses them is wrong and that their footage is poor?

What a bizarre comment.

Nobody here is talking about S900s w/ GH4s or SkyJibs w/Arris or Red Epics being used in a commerical filming operation though. They cost thousands and produce a completely different calibre of photography.

They're not in the same category as the cheaper toys being discussed in this thread for potential sale at OcUK.

What a bizarre comment.

Also, I think aerial footage is overdone in films and TVs generally. Far too often it's just filler material that adds nothing.

Caporegime
No interest here. I don't think the photography they produce is that great either. Seems like another toy people will get bored of in a few years.

Depends on which model you get. Ones with go pro 4 as good as a go pro 4 and the camera on the phantom pro model is on par with with a pro 4.

All depends whether you rate the pictures from a pro 4 though.

If you go up a step up to the inspire zenmuse models you can have a 16mp 4/3 camera with detachable lens with can record 4k in raw format. Decent choice of high end lenses fit it too.

Man of Honour
I'm lucky that we have some at work (2 DJI inspire 1s and a phantom 2), and I'm one of a few people that have been trained to fly them at work (not for commercial purposes - i.e. we don't make money for it). I should take them home to play with but living in London makes it less appealing - and whilst I could just ignore the CAA rules, I don't really want to be one of the ones that gives UAV pilots a bad name.

I guess technically being under 7kg and if you keep 50m away from people (or get their permission) you probably could get away with it, but meh, I'd rather be able to enjoy flying without having to worry about annoying people!

Back
Top Bottom