1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual exhaust not connected to back box

Discussion in 'Motors' started by neocon, May 18, 2019.

1. neocon

Mobster

[​IMG]

Can you see how the exhaust isn't connected to the tips?

Is this correct? Car is 2016 Golf R.

2. 233

Capodecina

yes such fakery is correct and par for the course these days :(

3. mjt

Capodecina

New (diesel) S4 only has an exhaust on the left with cosmetic tips on both sides. WTF??

Why can’t they just run a dual backbox like on the older models for the S and RS at least? Mega disappoint :(

4. azazl187

Wise Guy

It's absolutely nuts that this is deemed acceptable in the design of cars. So fake and how much does it really cost to have dual exhausts? I think one of the reasons is that they can charge crazy money for people to upgrade the exhaust system as an extra.

5. Kenai

Capodecina

Very common now for the tips to not be connected, even if they all actually have an exhaust exit behind them

6. Nasher

Capodecina

It's normal for so called "premium" cars to bodge stuff now apparently...

When sitting behind them with headlights on it's very obvious. Also they end up with one dirty exit and the others still clean which is another dead giveaway.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. NoNameNoNumber

Mobster

The golf is a right lolfest, exhaust noise coming through the speakers too :lol:
    Cheapskates.

8. vanpeebles

Soldato

Because racecar :D

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

What's even worse is that once it's 6 months old one of the pipes is super shiny and the other is filthy making it even more painfully obvious.

10. Orionaut

Soldato

Was just going to say myself, is this the same model that has a box tucked away behind the dash to make "Brmm Brmm" noises??

11. paradigm

Caporegime

This is the exact reason that I tweaked the settings in VCDS (on the S3, the TT needs physical blanking off of the vacuum line) so that all 4 exhausts are open on the S3 and both are open on the TT all the time. Can’t stand only half of the exhausts getting dirty.

12. neocon

Mobster

Wonder how much it would cost to fix it?
    I guess I'd need two new back boxes.

13. Kenai

Capodecina

In the case of the Golf R though, one of the pair is clean because that exit is valved, not because it's completely fake with nothing behind it

14. paradigm

Caporegime

It’s not the speakers, it’s a vibration module at the base of the windscreen. Still cack, but not quite as cack as pumping pre-recorded noises through the speakers. Not sure about the Golf, but in the S3 you can turn it off.

15. Kenai

Capodecina

Whilst it's fake noise, it isn't generated by the speakers

16. peterwalkley

Mobster

Pre chav'ed up for your convenience. I think its called marketing :(

17. Nasher

Capodecina

The photo is a golf R though. You can see it's fake and not even connected.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  18. Gaygle

Capodecina

I don't understand, why didn't they just connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust tips?? I know there is quad exhaust tips on the Golf R - are there quad pipes coming from the backbox?

19. Kenai

Capodecina

You're talking about two different issues now.

The tips being disconnected has nothing to do with why one is dirty and one is clean.

The Golf R has 4 exits and 4 tips. The tips are detached, as are many cars these days. 2 of the exits are valved and so only flow exhaust gas when opened in sport mode, hence only 2 getting dirty normally.

20. NickXX

Soldato

Same as my AM Vantage. I don’t mind it as it means you can change the backbox without changing the look of the car. It’s not like it’s a fake exhaust.

On the e46 M3, the tips were separate chrome plated parts which were riveted to the back box, so I don’t really see the difference.