Dumbells

Soldato
Morba said:
you should be pressing 35's quite easily tho with your current 1rm for barbell surely?

Yeah, I haven't tried pressing them - I've just been playing with them and seeing whether I can lift them over my head from the floor etc. etc.

I'm not sure whether its just that I'm not used to balancing that sort of weight

Caporegime
cleanbluesky said:
Yeah, I haven't tried pressing them - I've just been playing with them and seeing whether I can lift them over my head from the floor etc. etc.

I'm not sure whether its just that I'm not used to balancing that sort of weight

could be, its well worth pressing with dumbells, it works a lot more stabalising muscles :]

Man of Honour
OP
Well they definitely exist, and somebody has to use them or else they wouldn't be made & vended...so why not Tank? :)

When I was on my crane course, there was someone mine & Tank's height who had an unusually powerful build. He could push half a tonne with his legs, but I don't know whether he'd have used such dumbells. I wouldn't be too surprised though in his case, although I still wonder if they can be used in quite the same fashion I use my much lesser weighted ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Crazy Fool said:
cough cough ... bulls**t, cough cough... :p
As i said when i move and ive got my gym set up and running then i'll post some pictures no bull **** :o anyway i dont curl with them just press with them on chest days. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Crazy Fool said:
cough cough ... bulls**t, cough cough... :p

believe they do exist, i goto a normal health club type gym and they have 50kg dumbells, there is every reason to believe from that alone that there would be bigger ones at proper bodybuilding gyms (which there are as i have seen upto 100kg ones and seen people row with them).

Soldato
Morba said:
believe they do exist, i goto a normal health club type gym and they have 50kg dumbells, there is every reason to believe from that alone that there would be bigger ones at proper bodybuilding gyms (which there are as i have seen upto 100kg ones and seen people row with them).

Agreed ive seen dumbells upto 120kg before in gyms :eek: not seen anyone use them, i guess the only thing you could do is shrug with them lol most gyms have a max wieght of 45,50,60 kilos for dumbells. 60kg dumbells can be found here http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/__7_content3_asp1_6_pageID5_300019.html also where im getting all my gym equipment :) great site.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your be lucky finding anyone that can curl 120kg dumbells maybe 60kg have a look on you tube there is a guy on there who uses 40kg dumbells i can manage 35kg dumbells.

Soldato
Are you talking about fixed dumbells? They have always seemed rather pointless to me. It seems far more sensible to just buy a pair of handles and get more plates as you need them.

Soldato
I guess the idea of fixed dumbells are the heavier they get the less chance of them suddenly coming apart i would only buy fixed dumbells better to be safe than sorry ;).

Soldato
^TANK^ said:
I guess the idea of fixed dumbells are the heavier they get the less chance of them suddenly coming apart i would only buy fixed dumbells better to be safe than sorry ;).

What sort of weights can you happily manipulate on a dumbell?

Also, what do you weigh?

Caporegime
PhilthyPhil said:
Are you talking about fixed dumbells? They have always seemed rather pointless to me. It seems far more sensible to just buy a pair of handles and get more plates as you need them.

pointless?

so your benching dumbells, warm up on some 25s (for example), then move onto 30s, 35s, 37s, 40s

then you want to do some incline (which will be lighter), so you need say 32s, then 35s.

thats a lot of changing plates to do sets when you should be resting ;]

Soldato
Morba said:
when i say not strict form, i mean it, i mean it a lot lol.
If he struggles why bother :confused: i mean i can swing 45kg around but unless its clean and strict movement it does sweet FA surely! thats why i stick to 35kg dumbells.

Caporegime
^TANK^ said:
If he struggles why bother :confused: i mean i can swing 45kg around but unless its clean and strict movement it does sweet FA surely! thats why i stick to 35kg dumbells.

thats my thoughts, im ok with some swing at the end of some heavy sets, just to finish, but not to the extent where the majority of the rep is not hitting the initial body part.
he does have impressive arms tho lol

Back
Top Bottom