Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
OP
I'm surprised no one else has commented on...

the lack of Feyd Rautha, has quite a bit of time in the book and of course on screen in various adaptions

Was quite excited on who the casting could have been early on.

Soldato
Indeed it felt too stripped down on what I think is so important. It would have taken 1 Min to have a decent guild scene. A pair of guildsman. Tbh not having much imperial stuff except saadukar was sorely missed by me
I would have liked exposition to show me how spice actually feeds into the navigation etc for ships, I dont want hand holding of course in films, but I want the resource that is pivotal to everyone be shown in how special and unique to the planet it is. I cant help but think this would have been better as like a 6 part HBO special or something for the story, I don't see this getting a sequel. Honestly since Dune was written we have had far better Sc-Fi written since.

Soldato
Does anyone else feel its all a bit naff really? I must be missing something, but the whole "Spice" thing seems very emtpy, I don't think I sen one use for it in the film or the original, talking about uses for navigating ships..well, how, shows how important the stuff is. This nearly in some places is scene for scene the same as the original.

The spice thing is very important. It cements why Arrakis is "the most important planet in the universe". Spice allows people to extend their lives enormously (why the rich want it). It allows the Spacing Guild to function, as Navigators need to take huge amounts of it to see into the future and fold space to enable interstellar trade and travel ie without it there is no space travel and human empire. It is tied closely to the life-cycle of the Arrakis worms, and their effects on the planetary environment (ie they keep it as a desert planet, and effectively create the way of life the Fremen have adopted). The worms in turn create the "water of life" that the Bene Gesserit use to become Reverend Mothers, giving them the genetic memories of their ancestors and previous Reverend Mothers.

In Paul's case it gives him all the powers of a Mother Superior and more in the form of the Kwisatz Haderach, giving him access to his ancestors memories, and also the ability to see the future, and by seeing it he collapses future possibilities down to certainties, effectively creating the future he sees.

This is why despite the obvious trap, Duke Atredies accepts the Emperor's offer to take over the planet Arrakis, because the prize of controlling spice is too great to pass up, the money and power propelling House Atredies to the point of challenging the Emperor himself.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The more I read this thread the more I realise what was missing from the movie but oddly, i was so engrossed in it and just soaking up everything on the screen, it never occurred to me at the time.

Maybe DV's vision was spectacle for the first movie with the deeper elements of the story coming through in future sequels, i really don't know, time may/will tell.

All this said, I still really liked what I saw, I think it's a great movie and i'll be going to the cinema again in a week or two to rewatch.

Caporegime
This is from memory from reading the books 25 years ago, but spice allows “navigators” to plot the safe course through worm(?) space or how ever it’s termed in the books. Advanced computers had been banned due to a robot war or something a long those lines so it was all done manually and spice expanded the human mind (literally - it caused them to mutate into bloated messes) to allow them to do this.

Yeah kinda. Spice gives you the ability to see/predict the future/past ,prescience, as it's referred to in the series. It's the key element of the future books.

Soldato
I would have liked exposition to show me how spice actually feeds into the navigation etc for ships, I dont want hand holding of course in films, but I want the resource that is pivotal to everyone be shown in how special and unique to the planet it is.

The books don't actually go into much detail about it....beyond the navigators used to be human and through heavy spice exposure have mutated and are capable of the prescience required to travel interstellar distances.

The rest of the books are pretty weak compared to the first to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be sad if they stop after doing the next film.

Caporegime
I know I've got verbal diarrhea just now but,

What did you all think of Skarsgårds Barron?
Honestly given all the hype I thought his entire character was so bland.
He's ment to be a complete genius he is just portrayed as Marilyn Brando in cooking oil or a long dress, just very weak, underused.

I suspect there's 3 or 4 hours of unused film that fixes all my character complaints.

Soldato
I don't think there will be anything past children of dune.
I don't see future books translating to the screen well.

I would love to see them go to at least Book 4 (God Emperor of Dune). That's Paul's rise and fall, his take over of the Empire and abandonment of the Golden Path, followed by all the works of Leto II to change humanity and set them free after his deliberate tyranny, change Arrakis to a paradise, and his eventual death and reversion of Arrakis to a desert planet again.

I can't see it ever happening because the fourth book is just too esoteric and bonkers, with a whole new background of the universe to build again, but that completes Paul and Leto II's story to free humanity from superhumans just like themselves. The books after that feel more like they were written because the popularity of the first ones insisted on more book sales, and they tend to get progressively weaker.

Everyone is wondering if we're even going to get a second film to finish the story from the first book, so there's no way I see them going as far as the fourth book. Many commentators have said that while Dune has a cult following, it may not be enough to get the normies in to boost the profits to the level where followup films are green lit. I can only hope that Denis Villeneuve can push the completion of his adaptation through, though he may have to threaten to do like Christopher Nolan and walk away from the studio if they don't support him.

Soldato
Got my ticket for tomorrow - Not looking too good for box-office numbers (just 3 of us booked so far in a 300-ish seat screen) but it's great for me as there's a tiny chance of scroates ruining it!

Soldato
Got my ticket for tomorrow - Not looking too good for box-office numbers (just 3 of us booked so far in a 300-ish seat screen) but it's great for me as there's a tiny chance of scroates ruining it!

Just checked and the screening I'm going to is pretty much sold out apart from the odd seat around the edges. Glad I got my tickets in early!

Soldato
The books don't actually go into much detail about it....beyond the navigators used to be human and through heavy spice exposure have mutated and are capable of the prescience required to travel interstellar distances.

The rest of the books are pretty weak compared to the first to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be sad if they stop after doing the next film.

The benejeserret (ics) creating the ability to see forward beyond their ancestral memories, also reduces the hold on the universe that the spacing guild have. I would expect Paul or Lato to be able to essentially navigate through folded space/time and in the case of Lato see all time that he doesn't need to travel..

Soldato
I was really looking forward to this, but in the end it was just a little sterile for me. Perhaps the 84 version has tainted my perception of what the film should be, but there was just something about it that didn't draw me in to the story at all.

And I am sure I'll not be the only one, who at times thought that the score was a direct riff on the battlestar galactica theme's, enough that I later had to check to see who scored it, as I could have sworn it was Bear McCreary at first.

Soldato
OP
And I am sure I'll not be the only one, who at times thought that the score was a direct riff on the battlestar galactica theme's, enough that I later had to check to see who scored it, as I could have sworn it was Bear McCreary at first.

I'm about 20% of the way into a complete rewatch into BSG at the moment and can sort of see where you're coming from, I wouldn't have correlated them without you mentioning it though.

I believe Zimmer did two soundtracks for Dune, from some of the pre-release info that was around.

Soldato
Saw it at noon, just 4 of us in the cinema so zero noise - perfect.

Spoiler Free review below -

As to the film, I absolutely loved it! There's no big epic space battles with lasers blasting everywhere, no "in your face" CGI etc, it was almost entirely character and story driven with just enough action & excitement in places to prevent it becoming too exposition heavy. The acting from literally everyone was fantastic, a genuine star cast doing a great job with (and this is a huge rarity in Hollywood) a fantastic story with a great script behind it.

There were a few sound mixing issues (loud music & quiet voice) and a few very "odd" editing choices where a completely random 10-15 sec section with zero relevance would appear, almost like an advert-break for your mind, allowing you time to absorb what you just saw before the next section. The score was fantastic, the CGI vs Practical effects was really well done with only 1 obvious "bad" CGI issue (water, it's always water!) and the sets were amazing!

However, I can see why people weened on MCU-type cinema won't enjoy this, there's so much narrative and not enough "bay-hem" for most people I would suggest, but for fans of a good story, good acting and who enjoy the visual style/aesthetic of Denis Villeneuve, this is a truly epic (in scale rather than action) film and I can't wait for part 2.

Soldato
just got back from seeing it on the biggest screen I could find locally

WOW

its really great - the sound visuals music are completely immersive

the way the sardaukar silently zero G down to the ground gave me goosebumps
was worried Duncan actor would be cheesy but honestly he nailed it
Paul excellent casting just the right balance of young kid and creepy future seeing messiah
THE VOICE ! especially the rev mother
really liked Liet as well, she looked fantastic and great acting
Stilgar perfect as well exactly as id imagined him reading the book
lots of little cool things like the way mentat eyes change when calculating or Dr's ability to sense / check people etc
good balance of explaining background story points and details without getting bogged down

totally my kind of film, slow thoughtful amazing visual experience

edit : I can totally see why people wouldn't be into it - which is why I went on my own :D didn't want to have to explain it or justify why I love stuff like this!

Soldato
However, I can see why people weened on MCU-type cinema won't enjoy this, there's so much narrative and not enough "bay-hem" for most people I would suggest, but for fans of a good story, good acting and who enjoy the visual style/aesthetic of Denis Villeneuve, this is a truly epic (in scale rather than action) film and I can't wait for part 2.

That's such a condescending way to say you think your a better film critic. I'm nearly 40 and have seen the original and thousand of movies that aren't Disney/MCU related.
You could tell this was a Villeneuve, it had a similar music style and lingering that you could see was in Bladerunner, which I liked. But, it was boring, the original tried to cram in so much from the books that it ended up a convoluted mess but it had something special in its terrible acting and crap cgi.
This was just flat, it didn't explain things clearly, it had no emphasis on the world or the character development, I didn't give to ***** about the Baron or the Galactic empire and just felt almost like they had tried to remove what made it special rather than improving on it.
It was almost a scene for scene remake, without the good bits.

I appreciate films are subjective but to claim people didn't appreciate it cause they can only appreciate loud bangs and mindless action is bull excrement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom