• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DVI to HDMI for LCD TV quality and questions.

Soldato
OP
Ok then, what else other than the panasonic could I use?

I need an LCD TV 20"-24" that has pc input as well as componant input for an x360, that has great specs for about £600.

Oh it also has to have a 'fast' (no blocky effect) DVB tuner built in, can't be doing with those crap freeview boxes.

Associate
the new samsung range is what im going for, ok it might only do 1366 x 768 rez, but can get some cheap ones, with all the connections you need. they where designed for 360, and look sweet on pc.

19" for £300
23" for £469

for you Samsung 26" LE26R74BDX/XEU Freeview HD Ready LCD TV--- £579.99 Delivered

Associate
Danzla said:
monitor that isnt a tv buddy :(

I don't get it then, why do you want such a small tv with such a high res? You won't be able to see any difference between 720p and 1080p at normal tv viewing distances, only if you sit right in front of it like you would with a monitor, in which case why not just get a monitor and a tv card for your pc.

They're never going to make 1920x1080 tv's less than 37 inch because there isn't any demand for them in the tv market. Some people say 37 inch is too small for 1080p to see any real benefit.

They don't have a DVB tuner yet they have freeview?

They will have freeview models and non freeview models, just double check the specs when you buy it.

Personally I don't rate the samsungs at all, I think the freeview picture is very blocky and HD looks very noisey compared to other sets. But as said already, they've had very good reviews so I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. You're best off going to a shop and seeing them in action for yourself and deciding which picture quality you like the best. Double check here to see if it can support native res over vga, though I'll give you a list of ones that do and don't:

Support 1360x768 over vga -

Sony s2010/s2030 series
LG LC2 (over hdmi too)
Samsung R74 series/R41 series
JVC DX7 series
Philips TV's with DVI input
Dell TV's
Older toshiba sets

Support only 1024x768 over vga -

Sharp tv's
Philips tv's without DVI input
Toshiba WL66/WLT66

These are all the ones that I know for certain, if a TV's not listed then it may or may not support native res over vga.

Soldato
OP
ugly ferret said:
I don't get it then, why do you want such a small tv with such a high res? You won't be able to see any difference between 720p and 1080p at normal tv viewing distances, only if you sit right in front of it like you would with a monitor, in which case why not just get a monitor and a tv card for your pc.

They're never going to make 1920x1080 tv's less than 37 inch because there isn't any demand for them in the tv market. Some people say 37 inch is too small for 1080p to see any real benefit.

They will have freeview models and non freeview models, just double check the specs when you buy it.

Personally I don't rate the samsungs at all, I think the freeview picture is very blocky and HD looks very noisey compared to other sets. But as said already, they've had very good reviews so I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. You're best off going to a shop and seeing them in action for yourself and deciding which picture quality you like the best. Double check here to see if it can support native res over vga, though I'll give you a list of ones that do and don't:

Support 1360x768 over vga -

Sony s2010/s2030 series
LG LC2 (over hdmi too)
Samsung R74 series/R41 series
JVC DX7 series
Philips TV's with DVI input
Dell TV's
Older toshiba sets

Support only 1024x768 over vga -

Sharp tv's
Philips tv's without DVI input
Toshiba WL66/WLT66

These are all the ones that I know for certain, if a TV's not listed then it may or may not support native res over vga.

That narrow it down then. I was looking at tosh but if it can't be at native then it is out.

So looks like the samung r73 or r74.

Do you know of a master list or is this just you experimenting?

I'm stuck now.

Are you definately sure that the panasonic will not display native over hdmi.

Also what difference will I see with vga over dvi? I have the samsung synmaster 930bf at the mo via DVI and the colours are great. Will VGA be much worse?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pretty sure. I've just been looking at the maual and it says "the hdmi input terminal is not designed to be used with computers" and also "The HDMI IN terminal can only be used with 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p or 1080i picture signals". So that pretty much confirms it.

What about the sony and the LG? Have a look at them, they're pretty good. The LG especially as it can do 1360x768 over hdmi as well as vga. The LG is very good with HD pictures as well, I think in curreys and comet superstores they usually have them displaying HD material and it looks amazing. I've seen the 26 inch version for 465 pounds which is pretty good. There's a 23 inch LC1 version for 400 pounds as well but I'm not sure if it has the same specs and it's not much cheaper really.

Soldato
OP
ugly ferret said:
I'm pretty sure. I've just been looking at the maual and it says "the hdmi input terminal is not designed to be used with computers" and also "The HDMI IN terminal can only be used with 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p or 1080i picture signals". So that pretty much confirms it.

What about the sony and the LG? Have a look at them, they're pretty good. The LG especially as it can do 1360x768 over hdmi as well as vga. The LG is very good with HD pictures as well, I think in curreys and comet superstores they usually have them displaying HD material and it looks amazing. I've seen the 26 inch version for 465 pounds which is pretty good. There's a 23 inch LC1 version for 400 pounds as well but I'm not sure if it has the same specs and it's not much cheaper really.

Thanks mate. I'll look into the LG then, what was the model number again?

Also don't mind the price, 23" would be ideal.

Soldato
I think you better have a wander over to avforums.com

My Tosh manual says that it only supports PC inputs upto 1280x1024 over the VGA port but people seem to forget that you can output your PC to the HDMI port at 720 or 1080 however your graphics cards needs to support the HD resolutions. This is what I do with a DVI > HDMI cable and get stunning results.

If it doesn't then your stuck with the PC inputs which is pretty much the VGA one. You can try a custom resolution with powerstrip over VGA to try and match the native res of your set.

Soldato
glen8 said:
Mine works fine but I have a Toshiba not a Samsung

What model Toshiba ?...they are 1900x1080 but will not take a 1080 progressive input for 1.1 pixel mapping, Well that was the case up to about 1 month ago as I was looking at getting one. Just clarify that for me would You, Cheers

Associate
JAKUS said:
What model Toshiba ?...they are 1900x1080 but will not take a 1080 progressive input for 1.1 pixel mapping, Well that was the case up to about 1 month ago as I was looking at getting one. Just clarify that for me would You, Cheers

Yeah the tosh 42/47WLT66 only support 1080i input. Sony x series (out now) and the soon to be released sharp xd1 and sony w series all support 1080p over hdmi.

The LG is the LC2D not LC2R, sorry.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people using vga to connect their computers as most get 1360x768/1368x768 and component for 360 is good but vga is better as you can get native res of panel and like it been said unleass you getting 40+ some say 50" screen you not benefit from 1080p as the viewing distance you not be able to see the difference.
LG monitor are very bright on the whites a lot of people say it hurts their eye's using it as a monitor up close, the panny 600 is expansive but seems to be one of the best but the cheap panny 60 has no vga(pc input)

Soldato
My toshiba (66 model) takes a 1080i input over the HDMI 1:1

My graphics cards needs to be set to 1920x1080 for it to work. The image quality on windows desktop, games and movies (xvid, hd etc etc) all look as good as on my dell 20" TFT

LCDs are progressive in nature, it's the input which can't accept 1080p input. This means that rather than the source doing the progressive scan it's left down to the TV.

as stated above, tosh 68, samsung, sony w/x, sharp now accept a 1080p input

Permabanned
glen8 said:
My toshiba (66 model) takes a 1080i input over the HDMI 1:1

My graphics cards needs to be set to 1920x1080 for it to work. The image quality on windows desktop, games and movies (xvid, hd etc etc) all look as good as on my dell 20" TFT

LCDs are progressive in nature, it's the input which can't accept 1080p input. This means that rather than the source doing the progressive scan it's left down to the TV.

as stated above, tosh 68, samsung, sony w/x, sharp now accept a 1080p input

mine also does that res : 1920x1080 when i install catalyst drivers for my x1900xtx. but will only use 30hz so you can see some slight flickering with white's but apart from that its a mint picture...i dont use it as the icon's are too small. but bf2 look's good in that res.
my tv is the new PHILIPS 32PF9631D/10 HD LCD TV CINEOS (With Built in Freeview). which is on the members market now. :D

Back
Top Bottom